Typhoon squadrons to rise to 8

bentwaters81tfw

15 hours ago, junglierating said:

Hmm<_< i thought it was 2040 already and they have been bangin on about the extra squadrons for quite sometime.

Still celebrate some good news

I think there had been talk of two new air defence squadrons but it now appears there will be three.  I wonder if there will be a dedicated OTU as well.  I can't quite work out whether this will be more airframes available overall from the article though.  It mentions that other squadrons will be able to release some aircraft, thus reducing the number per unit, but maintain the same amount of operational aircraft.  Not quite sure what that means exactly.  As I understood it the current squadrons are all flying Tranche 2 or 3 aircraft whereas the new squadrons will be getting Tranche 1 aircraft that had been withdrawn and therefore were only to be used for air defence.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me.  

From this month's Airforces Monthly the situation (already somewhat superseded as the magazine is quoting two new squadrons, not three)  seems to be that their are 48 Tranche 1 Typhoons available although the two seaters are becoming increasingly unnecessary and 29(R) Squadron as OCU no longer really needs them, apparently.  The first new squadron will be standing up circa 2018 but no word on which number plates or where they will be based yet, as far as I know.  It sounds from the PPRuNe thread that there is an element of personnel retention involved in this decision.  The squadrons will also have a secondary Red Air role.  What did surprise me is that most of the Tranche 3 aircraft went  straight in to storage and only a handful have been issued, some at Conningsby, some with 41 Squadron and one with the OCU.

4 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

From this month's Airforces Monthly the situation (already somewhat superseded as the magazine is quoting two new squadrons, not three)  seems to be that their are 48 Tranche 1 Typhoons available although the two seaters are becoming increasingly unnecessary and 29(R) Squadron as OCU no longer really needs them, apparently.  The first new squadron will be standing up circa 2018 but no word on which number plates or where they will be based yet, as far as I know.  It sounds from the PPRuNe thread that there is an element of personnel retention involved in this decision.  The squadrons will also have a secondary Red Air role.  What did surprise me is that most of the Tranche 3 aircraft went  straight in to storage and only a handful have been issued, some at Conningsby, some with 41 Squadron and one with the OCU.

Shawberry aparently....got a mate doing hibernation servicing

Shawbury has been used to store airframes for many years, I remember being at an ATC summer camp there in the mid 90's and there was Jaguar's and Hawk's in storage then. (At least I think it was, could have been Hawks and Hunter's, memories fading!)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2016 at 7:06 AM, Meatbox8 said:

The first new squadron will be standing up circa 2018 but no word on which number plates or where they will be based yet, as far as I know. 

Purely from a modelling perspective, I would love to see 43, 56 & 111 re-form again - One can imagine the airshow & anniversary schemes that would follow :yikes:

Ian.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ian said:

Purely from a modelling perspective, I would love to see 43, 56 & 111 re-form again - One can imagine the airshow & anniversary schemes that would follow :yikes:

Ian.

25 minutes ago, sammy da fish said:

Sorry but I would like to see 74 Sqn, 19 Sqn and 92 Sqn. Just think of those special schemes that one could be applied, oh yes please.

Looks like there's some basis for some What-if modeling! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Who is secretly hoping for both 56 and 74 Sqn.

1 hour ago, HansReggelsen said:

Looks like there's some basis for some What-if modeling! :winkgrin:

Been 'Whiffing' for many, many years !!

0d2fcaa0-0401-49be-b423-378bdcf9c4c6_zps

S'pose I could find room for another RoG Typhoon in the stash if I try really hard !!

Ian.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ian said:

Ian.

43, 56, 111, 19, 74 and 92 are all, in my opinion, 'proper' fighter squadrons (i.e. WW1 fighter squadrons, flew single seat fighters throughout WW2  and later flew the Hunter, Lightning and air defence Phantom at some point in their histories) so I'd be happy to see any of them get Typhoon.  To me if one of the dwindling Tornado squadrons re-roled it just wouldn't seem right somehow.  On the other hand I suppose the most important thing is that the RAF is fielding enough fast jet squadrons to be able to do its job in a seemingly ever more dangerous and unpredictable World.   If their Airships decide to give them to a 'bomber' squadron then so be it.  Having said all that my guess is that the first one to form would be 19 sqn.  Chequerboards, lightning bolts and Tiger stripes would all look pretty snazzy on a Typhoon.

Edited by Meatbox8
Adding more waffle
  • Like 2

There aren't going to be any squadron markings are there? I though Typhoons were all going to be pooled in wings and no squadrons will no longer have dedicated airframes. ie the squadron is just an administrative unit.

There aren't going to be any squadron markings are there? I though Typhoons were all going to be pooled in wings and no squadrons will no longer have dedicated airframes. ie the squadron is just an administrative unit.