Buccaneer questions - Airfix 1/48

pigsty

Help!

A little while ago a very nice chap here on BM let me have the Fleet Air Arm bits for my Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer and, I think, I let him have my RAF bits for his.  I have a horrible feeling I may have made a Horlicks of the underwing tanks.

In my box are the parts for the tanks in the RAF version's instructions: three parts each, numbered 15 17 19 (right) and 16 18 20 (left).  In the instructions for the naval version the tanks are in four parts each, numbered 19 115 117 119 (right) and 20 116 118 119 (left).  So far as I can tell from the illustrations, the pylons/fairings are the same (although for some reason one version includes part of the tank while the other doesn't), but the front end of the naval tanks extends a little bit further than on the RAF ones.  This doesn't appear to be the difference between standard and streamlined tanks, nor is it the much bigger South African ones.  It seems to be two tanks with fairings, much the same in design, but with one a little longer than the other.

So, my question is: what is the difference between these types of tank?  Could I use the three-part ones for a Fleet Air Arm aircraft, or does it absolutely have to be the four-part jobs?  Or could I just ignore the difference and rely on no-one noticing it?

• Like 1

Ta v much.

I realised the same myself as I woke up this morning.  Parts 19 and 20 are common to both, so obviously the tanks are the same length and the instructions are misleading :banghead:.  I can only surmise that the four-part construction in the naval boxing was to allow the longer SAAF tanks to be fitted to the same pylons.  Which only leaves you wondering why Airfix tooled them differently for the RAF boxing ...

Another question, still about those infernal tanks.  Lord but they're dreadful.

Each has a fuel vent underneath (as does the rear fuselage).  They're odd little things: a deeply faired pipe with a plate across the end.  I assume there has to be a hole in that plate, or possibly just above it, where the fuel would come out.  But I've not had any luck with interweb references, not even the walk-rounds here.  Can anyone tell me where I should drill the hole?

• 3 weeks later...

Another one.  The kit has very prominent detonating cord in the canopy, but I don't think it was original fit.  As I'm doing a Fleet Air Arm Buccaneer in dark grey and white, would I be right in thinking I should try to remove it?  (From inside!)

On 19/11/2016 at 8:26 PM, pigsty said:

Help!

A little while ago a very nice chap here on BM let me have the Fleet Air Arm bits for my Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer and, I think, I let him have my RAF bits for his.  I have a horrible feeling I may have made a Horlicks of the underwing tanks.

Hi Sean

Was reading this post and thought, mmmmm that rings a bell! Pretty certain it was myself that exchanged the parts with you many moons ago. I've still got all the bits so if do find yourself needing the parts it won't be a problem!

Murray

Oh and I'm pretty sure the canopy detonating cord was certainly original fit for the S2 as I'm sure the crew were supposed to be able to eject through the canopy even if they were submerged under water.

Murray

11 hours ago, Muzz said:

Oh and I'm pretty sure the canopy detonating cord was certainly original fit for the S2 as I'm sure the crew were supposed to be able to eject through the canopy even if they were submerged under water.

Murray

That would make so much sense, yet it hardly shows in early photos of the S.Mk.2.  Still, easier to explain the cord than to try to remove the infernal thing.

Hope I'm doing your parts justice (come back in six months to find out)!  I've been persuaded that the tanks are fine, at least in their dimensions, if not in any other respect whatsoever.

Why am I doing this?  I could have sold this lumpit old nail for fifty quid ... 

• Like 1

There's a section in the buccaneer website about seats and canopies. Here's what it says under the heading of Royal Navy Service

A system was finally perfected in which a small explosive charge (in the form of a thin zig-zag strip) was placed above each of the crews' heads on the underside of the canopy transparency. This was the MDC (Miniature Detonating Cord). The thickness of the transparency was reduced to aide with the successful egress through the canopy. This system finally entered service as a retro-fit to existing Fleet Air Arm Buccaneers as well as RAF Buccaneers from 1971-onwards. The existence of MDC being fitted to a Buccaneer can be ascertained if the small warning triangle on the right has been applied to either side of the lower canopy frame in line with the Terylene arch fitted to the centre of the canopy transparency.

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages2_files/0_Ejection.html

HTH

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pigsty said:

Hope I'm doing your parts justice (come back in six months to find out)!  I've been persuaded that the tanks are fine, at least in their dimensions, if not in any other respect whatsoever.

Why am I doing this?  I could have sold this lumpit old nail for fifty quid ... 

I'm sure you will do them justice, you're lucky, at least you've started your one. I haven't and the Tan Models one is looming large on the horizon!

The existence of MDC being fitted to a Buccaneer can be ascertained if the small warning triangle on the right has been applied to either side of the lower canopy frame in line with the Terylene arch fitted to the centre of the canopy transparency

That's handy, thanks for that.  It does give me a quandary, though.  I'll be using the kit's decals, which include the small triangle but date the scheme to 1966.  Oh well, there's always "what should have been" ...

If you see pictures of earlier FAA Buccaneers during ejection you see the canopy being jettisoned first.

Sometimes you see an extra triangle on the earlier Buccs, even the later service S.1s, so guessing that was for the canopy jettison?  Second shot dated 1966.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=buccaneer+S.2+royal+navy&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLncrs2_nRAhXpDMAKHUBeAuMQ_AUICCgB&biw=1525&bih=734#imgrc=Y__3mtdU3PKewM:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=buccaneer+S.2+royal+navy&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLncrs2_nRAhXpDMAKHUBeAuMQ_AUICCgB&biw=1525&bih=734#imgrc=Y__3mtdU3PKewM:

http://aflyinghistory.com/photos/blackburn/buccaneer/xn-973/3929-lossiemouth-1969.jpg

Edited by 71chally

:hmmm:

There seem to be three sizes of triangle.  The big ones are one under each crew position, for the ejector seats.  There's a smaller one between them that the Airfix decals hint might be something to do with the canopy.  And there's the very small one, level with the inner windscreen, that sits among the yellow dashes along the canopy bottom frame.

And there's the question of whether I can be bothered to remove the cord - it will take a lot of work to recover the canopy's finish.

As I say, :hmmm: .

• 1 month later...

Hello all

I'm building the Airfix kit but in the post Gulf all grey scheme (XX889 circa 1992/3 with Gulf markings still on).

I have a question wrt roundels. All the reference material so far indicates that the the wing roundels were upper right and lower left, which is opposite to convention on most other aircraft. Can anyone tell me why this is?

2 hours ago, Sprtt said:

Hello all

I'm building the Airfix kit but in the post Gulf all grey scheme (XX889 circa 1992/3 with Gulf markings still on).

I have a question wrt roundels. All the reference material so far indicates that the the wing roundels were upper right and lower left, which is opposite to convention on most other aircraft. Can anyone tell me why this is?

According to various print sources the Buccaneers which were painted ARTF Desert Sand and deployed to Muharraq in January 1991 had their wing roundels applied as you describe (unlike the Tornado GR.1 and Jaguar in-theatre) so possibly it was thereafter accepted by the paint-shop as standard when it came to applying the  Greys colour scheme , or maybe it was just a bit of Buccaneer oneupmanship.