Another Airfix P40B

John

Well, I resisted as long as I could but the arrival today of the Xtradecal sheet with markings for a 112 Squadron aircraft with a sharkmouth and desert colours broke my resolve:

P40B3_zpsydugbfjs.jpg

P40B4_zpsan2s17j3.jpg

I've also been waiting for a suitable opportunity to field test Humbrol's excellent new Azure Blue:

P40B5_zpsildxltpv.jpg

John

• Like 5

Hi John,

this sounds rather exciting!

What is the reference number of the Humbrol Azure blue? That may stop me mixing my own and losing count half way through the drop counting....

Cheers and enjoy.

JR

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

this sounds rather exciting!

What is the reference number of the Humbrol Azure blue? That may stop me mixing my own and losing count half way through the drop counting....

Cheers and enjoy.

JR

Hello Jean, the ref for Azure Blue hasn't changed - it's still 157. You need to look for the stock label on the bottom of the tin, if it has a 6-digit number like this:

31886749-3cb8-440b-afd8-ce428d2da324_zps

it's newer production and will be the new shade. The new shade is also in the new style of tin:

P1000463_zpsf0qrd9rd.jpg

Don't go by the colour of the lid though, that hasn't been changed to reflect the contents, which is a bit of a pain:

P1000464_zpsospkzmlc.jpg

HTH

• Like 1

Hi John,

thanks for the info. Very kind of you.

The 157 I have was bought years ago to be used as a US Navy Medium Sea Blue. The paint color inside does look different than what's in your tinlet, but who knows with uncalibrated laptop screens, etc...

Easier to go and get a new pot, which I need to use on my Hurricane. Please let me know if you are happy with the end result.

Cheers

JR

On 11/20/2016 at 0:58 PM, jean said:

Hi John,

thanks for the info. Very kind of you.

The 157 I have was bought years ago to be used as a US Navy Medium Sea Blue. The paint color inside does look different than what's in your tinlet, but who knows with uncalibrated laptop screens, etc...

Easier to go and get a new pot, which I need to use on my Hurricane. Please let me know if you are happy with the end result.

Cheers

JR

Happy to, I'm a bit of an Azure Blue fanatic!

Meanwhile, I was able to get a start made on painting the interior:

P40B6_zpshrfzjsel.jpg

P40B7_zpsfjxr65cy.jpg

I used Humbrol 120 Light Green for the close-but-not quite Grey Green and an old tin of HD4 Zinc Chromate Primer for, well, the Zinc Chromate. The parts of the chin intake identified in the instructions as being in the exterior colour were painted with Humbrol 122 FS595:35622 to approximate the close-but-not quite Sky. I'm assuming these weren't repainted in Azure Blue:

P40B8_zpsbnvnwqdx.jpg

I've also filled the unfortunately placed pin marks in the undercarriage bays with gel superglue and hit it with an accelerator. I'll sand it down next time I have the kit out.

John

According to the Xtradecal instructions the 112 Squadron option needs fishtail exhausts:

P40B10_zpsdgtwvtvv.jpg

I had to think about that - fishtail exhausts for an Allison 1710? Then through the mists I remembered that the Eduard Airacobra has alternate exhausts, and a rummage in the stash uncovered these:

P40B9_zpswc0bneqg.jpg

They might need some fettling but they look promising at first pass.

John

• 1 month later...

Bit of a hiatus on this build.

Although I was planning a fairly straightforward out of the box build, I came across the lovely Ultracast "1/48 P-40 Tomahawk Early Square Back Seat with British Sutton Harness" and "1/48 Early P-40B Hollow Steel Prop & Spinner (48267)" when I was browsing the Sovereign Hobbies website:

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/products/ultracast-1-48-p-40-tomahawk-early-square-back-seat-with-british-sutton-harness-u48257?variant=21592887620

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/products/ultracast-1-48-early-p-40b-hollow-steel-prop-spinner-48267

I could hardly unsee them, so they were duly ordered. At the moment I'm contenting myself finishing the cockpit structure and major building should progress when the parts arrive.

John

On Sunday, January 08, 2017 at 4:44 PM, John said:

Bit of a hiatus on this build.

Although I was planning a fairly straightforward out of the box build, I came across the lovely Ultracast "1/48 P-40 Tomahawk Early Square Back Seat with British Sutton Harness" and "1/48 Early P-40B Hollow Steel Prop & Spinner (48267)" when I was browsing the Sovereign Hobbies website:

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/products/ultracast-1-48-p-40-tomahawk-early-square-back-seat-with-british-sutton-harness-u48257?variant=21592887620

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/products/ultracast-1-48-early-p-40b-hollow-steel-prop-spinner-48267

I could hardly unsee them, so they were duly ordered. At the moment I'm contenting myself finishing the cockpit structure and major building should progress when the parts arrive.

John

Aha! Now I have put 2 and 2 together! They've been sent so you won't have too long to wait to crack on.

I've found that whilst beautifully cast, Ultracast resin needs a good clean for paint adhesion (even enamels). After involuntary paint stripping of Alclad aluminium on my Hurricane armoured back rest, I've taken to cleaning them in washing up liquid and warm water with a paint brush, then repeating in white spirit and the paint sticks well now. I do have a septic tank drainage system here where I live though so we use eco-friendly washing up liquids so as not to kill the tank and they're probably less effective at removing release agent than normal detergents. Forewarned is forearmed though.

Thinking about it, I've had issues here with CMK resin on a Starfighter too so it's probably my tree-cuddling washing up liquid 😂

• Like 1

The Ultracast seat is a thing of beauty:

P40B12_zpsu3ch7ycw.jpg

P40B11_zpsqkob3ijm.jpg

I'm about to remove it carefully from its casting web and give it a bath and a prime. The prop's still bagged until nearer the time I need to use it.

This was going to be a straightforward OOB build, but I really like the early P-40s, especially desert finished ones so the boat is going to get pushed out a bit further. I also got this Quickboost RAAF pilot, who I think will do a nice turn transferred to the RAF in the desert:

P40B13_zpsjkohdxnf.jpg

John

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I haven't had much modelling time this last month...so naturally I went and bought another P-40.  Actually I wanted to do the USAAC option from the Xtradecal sheet as well.

My new kit was bought directly from Hornby online and it displays a couple of interesting differences from the first one. The instructions have shrunk:

P40B15_zpsvej4woyr.jpg

Original on the left, new on the right. Also, there seems to have been a bit more care taken with the moulding of the newer kit. Ejection pin marks are less apparent, including the annoying ones on the undercarriage liners:

P40B17_zpskbscv2fh.jpg

These needed just a touch of Games Workshop Liquid Green Stuff rather than the full superglue-and-accelerator treatment of the first ones.

Also, Archie no longer looks like he stopped a 20mm round with his groin, which is no doubt a relief for him:

P40B18_zpsfxhh2u2j.jpg

In other news the Ultracast seat has had a coat of Halfords Primer prior to painting:

P40B14_zpsniqx3kcy.jpg

I used the new Humbrol 36 Matt Pastel Green for the yellower than Interior Green shade for the second kit:

P40B16_zpsyxrltgil.jpg

As before the Yellow Zinc Chromate is HD4 Zinc Chromate Primer. The Neutral Grey is from an ancient pot of  HU3 Neutral Grey 43, which seems to capture the proper dark tome of the colour.

John

• Like 1