1/72 Hasegawa Lightning F6 - 74Sqn

For my second WIP build I've chosen another vintage kit from the stash, this time its the Hasegawa Lightning F6.  Rather than use the supplied decals I'm using some 74Sqn markings from an Xtradecal Lightning sheet.  I'm also going to try my best to recreate a nice shiney aluminium finish using Humbrol polished aluminium metalcote rattle can. 

20161119_133614.jpg

• Like 4

Hi,

you are tackling a daunting kit! I have the Frog offering, which is essentially the same kit, and I have always been impressed at the small number of pieces and the huge amount of work needed to bring this kit to less antiquated standards.....

Are you planning to re-scribe the whole model?

Have a lot of fun!

JR

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi,

you are tackling a daunting kit! I have the Frog offering, which is essentially the same kit, and I have always been impressed at the small number of pieces and the huge amount of work needed to bring this kit to less antiquated standards.....

Are you planning to re-scribe the whole model?

Have a lot of fun!

JR

Funny that as they were my thoughts as well, really is showing its age against the likes of the new Airfix offerings.  Overall shape looks reasonable to me though and, to be honest, my bigger challenge will be the natural metal finish.  I'm afraid I've never attempted a rescribe, but will definitely do some light sanding and filling as required.  

To illustrate your point about the low part count here are the major sub-assemblies, which comprise the bulk of the kit!

20161119_154305.jpg 

• Like 1

I built one last year and didn't find it to be that big of a challenge. Fit was mostly ok, it's just the raised lines and the general low detail level that makes it a bit low rent. If you're doing a box stock build, it'll go together quickly and will look mostly like a Lightning when you're done.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rob G said:

I built one last year and didn't find it to be that big of a challenge. Fit was mostly ok, it's just the raised lines and the general low detail level that makes it a bit low rent. If you're doing a box stock build, it'll go together quickly and will look mostly like a Lightning when you're done.

Hi Rob,

forgive the uneducated savage that I am, but what is a "box stock build"?

Never a day goes by without something new to learn... I love it!

JR

Box stock = Out of box. An Australianism, I guess. Possibly influenced by something to do with cars (stock means unmodified) with a hint of plastic modelling language thrown in (from the box). Or maybe I dreamed it all up after eating too much curried taipan. :D

Either way, I apologise for the confusion.

• Like 1

I'll be watching this...:popcorn:....as I'm doing this very kit at the moment.

All the major pieces together, some filler needed on the wing fuselage joins,

and a smidge on the tail planes, although I haven't decided on a scheme as yet.

I'll be interested to see how the spray can works,

Sean

20 hours ago, sean said:

I'll be watching this...:popcorn:....as I'm doing this very kit at the moment.

All the major pieces together, some filler needed on the wing fuselage joins,

and a smidge on the tail planes, although I haven't decided on a scheme as yet.

I'll be interested to see how the spray can works,

Sean

Thats great Sean, feel free to post any pics of your build in this thread as well, more tips the better for me :)

Hi Nick,  seeing as you asked..:whistle:...anything that has two mating surfaces needs some application of filler!:unsure:

This came in very handy..

30361553454_2076c369e0_c.jpgkits 010 by Sean McAleenan, on Flickr

and how she looks at the moment...

31037938502_e9989ae34b_c.jpgkits 001 by Sean McAleenan, on Flickr

Other than wheels, missiles, canopy and pointy stuff that will be easily broken, she's pretty 

much ready for paint. I'll be doing one of the options from Modeldecal sheet 45, XR754

30813741960_e21b78dec0_c.jpgkits 003 by Sean McAleenan, on Flickr

It's pretty much a practise kit, as I'm getting used to an airbrush, so trying to figure out the best way to do things.

Sean

• Like 1

Very interesting Sean, I keep thinking about moving on to airbrush painting myself, a bit like I keep considering 1/48 but I cant bring myself to leave what I know :)

Anyway, here's the latest on my effort, just in process of removing gun blisters and filling cannon ports, as per the 74 Sqn jets of that period...

20161120_091701.jpg

20161120_093537.jpg

• Like 1

That's the start of the filler then...:whistle:

20 minutes ago, nickandrews7 said:

I cant bring myself to leave what I know :)

I was the same, it's taken a long time to get around to trying an airbrush, but so far so good with the one I've

finished.

Sean

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So progress has definitely been slower than I would like on this as I've battled away to try and get a smooth(ish) primer coat prior to attempting the NMF...

Removing gun blisters and filling cannon ports

20161130_095541.jpg

filling and sanding the cockpit headrest

20161128_210002_001.jpg

Wings on and joins filled

20161204_143449.jpg

Topside and Undersides20161204_143518.jpg

20161204_143500.jpg

Any tips on surface prep prior to applying he NMF much appreciated :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So things took a turn for the worst once I tried the NMF!  Despite valiant efforts I could not get the Humbrol Metalcote to buff up, either when sprayed or brush painted, therefore I went back trusty old Humbrol 11 brush painted. 

I know this is not going to be a great looking model, but I decided to persevere rather than junk it :)

20161217_175636.jpg

20161217_175609.jpg

• Like 1

As above, it's a pity about the NMF, but good to see your not dumping the kit.

Part of the reason I went with the camoflauge, playing safe.

That Humbrol Metalcote is a bit funny, I've two tins, one is great and the other is a bit crap.

Look forward to a bit more progress,

Sean

• 1 year later...

So I've dragged this one off the shelf of doom - can't believe it's been over a year since I started it.  Obviously my previous posts have been a victim of the photobucket scam, but will see if I can resurrect them.

After the disaster with the metalcote, and a few other issues, I've decided to raid the parts bin and build for fun - so will see what happens next!

39790669872_b3936562f1_h.jpg

Deliberately posed the F-100 behind as this is more recent WIP, with the NMF airbrushed on - which looks a whole lot better i think..

39822560591_878eaf728c_h.jpg

• 1 month later...