Airfix 1/48 Curtiss P-40 Tomahawk MkIIb

HI all - well she's finished.

Heres Auntie's latest, finished as AK367 From 112 Squadron RAF, October 1941 at Sidi Heneish, using Barracudecal's excellent markings.

Painted with custom mixed Tamiya acrylics, and finished with a little love. 

All comments welcome, as ever.  Hope you like her!

Jonners

P1070063_zps8u4ioe5l.jpg

P1070066_zpsntowiktq.jpg

P1070068_zpsjoa2fwyk.jpg

P1070071_zpsa2eclirq.jpg

P1070074_zps3cec43f7.jpg

Here's the model with a Hurricane MK1painted in "standard" RAF Dark Earth, Dark green and Sky to try and show my attempt at the 'similar' US DuPont colours on the Hawk.

P1070073_zpsiovoocac.jpg

P1070072_zpsgrueb3y7.jpg

• Like 62

Great job! I really like the comparison with the Hurricane, and that you've modelled the DuPont colours and made them look different from the standard MAP colours. Very nicely done. I take it you liked the new kit?   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Very nice indeed. Rare to see a 112 Sqn machine with a shark mouth on a temperate scheme, I always had the impression that they started putting the shark's mouths on the desert scheme. Britmodeller certainly is an education!

Must get one in the stash with some RAF decals.

Pete

Thanks chaps. Much appreciated. It really is a great model - easy to build, and looks the part.

To answer a few questions:  It seems shark mouths started to appear on 112 sqn P-40's pretty early on - the 112 sqn web page has several pics that show them on the green/brown camo machines - though it does say that the green was later ( and pretty quickly afterwards) overpainted with mid-stone.

The camo was mixed from Tamiya acrylics. I found this site : http://ratomodeling.com/articles/AVG_cammo/ very useful in gauging what would work. Once the camo was on the top colours were distressed a little using some of the base colour but slightly altered tonally and heavily thinned, sprayed over in a random splotchy tight squiggle. I also used a gloss varnish with a couple of drops of Gunze Orange yellow to tint it. I suppose what I wanted was a depth to the colours, and this seemed to do the job!  After decalling a I used an oil wash of 502 Abteilung Faded Grey in the underside and  their Wash Brown over the top, then once the final top flat coat was applied, some good old fashioned chalk pastel dust added the dust, engine exhaust and cordite stains, with a wee bit of HB pencil for the scratches. The backs of the prop blades were attached with some aluminium pigments and the pencil to show a little sand blasting. But overall I didn't want too much as my feeling is these machines were relatively 'new' at this point in time.

The only thing the model lacks is a small light blister on top of the rear fuselage forward of the RT aerial mast - which I'll add over the next day or so. It appears to be an RAF fitting - so you don't see them on USAAC P-40's

Glad you like her. I have a feeling there are more Tomahawks in my future! :)

Jonners

• Like 2

An inspirational build, quick, clean and full of the 'wow' factor!

Just be a dear and leave me a couple, or so, of kits to buy once I return for the annual time off for good behaviour, (next July...). There were no Meatboxes to be found this Summer. A fact I lay at your doorstep after your utterly amazing build(s)!;) What did happen to the two others???

So, what's next?

On-On!

Christian, exiled further south

Turned out Beautifully Jon,great WIP, I and I'm sure many others will reference It, I think we will be seeing a lot of these kits in the future!

Edited by stevej60

• 2 months later...

Terrific.  Very interesting seeing a 112 squadron aircraft in the temperate scheme.  I've heard that this kit has some issues but you wouldn't think so from your build.