Roy Huxley

DMC

Took a day trip to Telford Saturday without the express purpose of adding anything to my modest stash.  However, while having a browse at an old kit stand, I spied a Matchbox Kaman Seasprite in 1:48 and decided that, heck, one more wouldn't hurt, so I snapped it up.  The Seasprite is an aircraft I have become interested in because of a recent build thread started by Rodders.  Thanks Rodders.  Nice kit, I think, a little sparse on detail but adding detail is the kind of thing that I like best about modelling so no problem there.  Besides the pleasure I got from finding the kit, I was equally pleased with the quality of the box art, which I was seeing for the first time.  Done by Roy Huxley, the original in gouache, it depicts a Seasprite in 3/4 front view,  everything loaded and apparently looking for trouble.  This painting is terrific, IMHO, accurate and with a definite painterly quality about it.  I hadn't built many Matchbox kits so wasn't that familiar with Mr. Huxley's Matchbox work, of which, after a bit of Binging, I now realize he did quite a bit.  The Guild of Aviation Artists has the original of this painting on offer for £1,450.  A little off my affordability scale but I'd have it if it wasn't.

The box top:

SNB10216.jpg

Dennis

• Like 5

I have a set of ceramic plates with his artwork on them, by Royal Doulton via the Bradford exchange.

Will have to get into the roof space and dig them out now you've reminded me of him.

Boxed up when we moved house.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 5:50 AM, colin said:

I have a set of ceramic plates with his artwork on them, by Royal Doulton via the Bradford exchange.

Wow!  That could be a true collector's item!  Are they aviation-inspired designs or something else?  Apologies for my ignorance.

48 minutes ago, colin said:

Their all aviation inspired from WWII, not sure about collectors items, if you look on ebay there are plenty about for not much money

I'm afraid all "limited edition collectors' plates" are the same.  Barely up to the value of the box.  My parents had dozens and they ended up in the charity shops, they were so worthless.  If you think the interweb has created a golden age of scamming the innocent with tat, rest assured, it was going on years before that.

Having said that, Roy Huxley's Spitfire, Mosquito and Lancaster spent their entire lives on show in the hall.  Might have been a Hurricane stowed somewhere too.  The lesson is, if you like them, 'ave em.  But don't hope to retire on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good choice!!! I have the privileage to contact Roy Huxley in e-mail, and i feel very thrilled about it cos he is one of my favourite box artist!! I think, he and Roy Cross, are the magicians in a way...making fantastic illustration that made our fantasies go wild!! I manage to have in my bookshelf, 3 matchbox model Catalogues, and sure i get a lot of inspiration by watching the magic box art images in it!!!