Airfix 1/72nd Scale Jet Provost T.3

raguk

An absolutely beautiful rendition.  Superb smooth paint finish.  I was really chuffed when Airfix announced they were going to release a kit of the T.3, especially as I have been pondering whether there is any future in building their old kit (not much with my skills/patience but I'm sure others could work wonders with it). Can't wait to get started on my new tool kit though. 

My only gripe with the kit, and it is a very minor one, is that Airfix chose to provide the rather rare and shortlived LAG/DayGlo scheme rather than the more common HSS/DayGlo.  What's more I don't think the Xtradecal set includes one either. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

My only gripe with the kit, and it is a very minor one, is that Airfix chose to provide the rather rare and shortlived LAG/DayGlo scheme rather than the more common HSS/DayGlo.  What's more I don't think the Xtradecal set includes one either. 

Sorry to disagree with you but I prefer having the less common option "from the box".  The HSS/Dayglo scheme uses a different Dayglo (more red than orange IIRC) but I wouldn't put it past Airfix to reissue this kit with a new tailplane as a Mk. 4 and with markings for a HSS/Dayglo example.  Failing that Xtradecal might consider a follow-up sheet for the present one.

6 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Sorry to disagree with you but I prefer having the less common option "from the box".  The HSS/Dayglo scheme uses a different Dayglo (more red than orange IIRC) but I wouldn't put it past Airfix to reissue this kit with a new tailplane as a Mk. 4 and with markings for a HSS/Dayglo example.  Failing that Xtradecal might consider a follow-up sheet for the present one.

Can't argue with that.  There is always the pre-adhesive strip scheme too, actually my favourite as it happens.  Something to do with the Ladybird Book of Aircraft capturing the imagination back in the day. 

4 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Can't argue with that.  There is always the pre-adhesive strip scheme too, actually my favourite as it happens.  Something to do with the Ladybird Book of Aircraft capturing the imagination back in the day. 

I had that book too!  Do you remember the picture of the Gnat in the HSS/Dayglo extremities scheme, apparently in a screaming dive?  Wonderful stuff.  Also loved the illustration of the Tu-114.  They just don't do 'em like that any more.

9 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I had that book too!  Do you remember the picture of the Gnat in the HSS/Dayglo extremities scheme, apparently in a screaming dive?  Wonderful stuff.  Also loved the illustration of the Tu-114.  They just don't do 'em like that any more.

I do indeed.  In fact I still have it somewhere although I think I picked up that copy at a car boot or something.    Without digging it out wasn't the Tu-144 in Aeroflot markings?  The other one that made an impression was the B-52, seemingly high up in the stratosphere.  Wasn't there also a Dove in JCB markings? 

11 minutes ago, stever219 said:

The Tupolev was definitely in Aeroflot colours: gorgeous!  Don't remember the Dove though.

Must dig it out and have a look.  There was a sort of 'How it works' illustration of the Lightning inside cover too.  I was given one of the 'new' Ladybird books for Christmas from my aunt.  Entitled The Ladybird Book of the Midlife Crisis.  Don't know if you've seen them.  All with original illustrations but very new captions.  Very, very funny. 

Edited by Meatbox8
Editied slightly as my typing is suffering a little form helping myself to the cooking wine.

5 hours ago, chrish said:

Golly, that's so evocative. Is the daygo paint or decal?

All the orange bits are decals and supplied in the kit.

Nasty to apply as they don't really want to curve round the leading eadge of the wing with out cracking.

Very hot water and plenty of setting solution is the way to go along with a lot of patience.

RG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Must dig it out and have a look.  There was a sort of 'How it works' illustration of the Lightning inside cover too.  I was given one of the 'new' Ladybird books for Christmas from my aunt.  Entitled The Ladybird Book of the Midlife Crisis.  Don't know if you've seen them.  All with original illustrations but very new captions.  Very, very funny. 

Do you know how hard it is to suppress a full-blown guffaw in Waterstones without wetting yourself?  I do.  The "new !

Ladybird" books are, generally, hilarious.  The "Neighbours" and "Students" volumes are also particularly good fun. 

Sorry for the appalling thread drift raguk.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

Turned out rather nice.  Did  not the LAG follow the  silver / dayglo scheme?  My one issue with the kit decals is it is a shame thye printed the 2 digit code with the dayglo strips. It makes it difficult to do a different machine.

• Like 1

That is a great build, makes me want to build one myself. I don't know if anyone has noted the clear perspex strip at the rear of the sliding hood. I thought I  noticed it on the JP that we have in the local Manston museum as I drove past the other day. I presume that it is not on the kit canopy but could be easily added. This may seem trivial to some but when I built the Matchbox Provost years ago my friend picked me up for painting over this strip. I had not noticed it until he pointed it out aand as he was an ex RAF rigger on Provots e was absolutely right. It is often said on this sight,check your  photos. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stever219 said:

Do you know how hard it is to suppress a full-blown guffaw in Waterstones without wetting yourself?  I do.  The "new !

Ladybird" books are, generally, hilarious.  The "Neighbours" and "Students" volumes are also particularly good fun. 

Sorry for the appalling thread drift raguk.

Yes, 'The Hipster' is rather good too.  Also, apologies Raguk

• Like 1