RAF P51D

Stosh65

A late start to this as I've been moving to a new workspace in the spare room.

DSC_0627_zpsozafvjnw.jpg

Its the wives old desk but she needed something bigger as she's now working on the dissertation for her masters in education. So now I have my own space to spread out and I'll stop getting complained at for mess in the living room. As you can see, its the airfix mustang we're working with as with what feels like everyone else.

DSC_0629_zpsmswrsfkq.jpg

Decals kindly donated by RobG for an RAF bird as I don't fancy going for the NMF. Weak and cowardly but I can live with it.

DSC_0630_zpsmaz39ekc.jpg

This is the box art if you want a look at the scheme. Interior painting has been started but photobucket is being awkward this evening so pics will have to wait. Glad to finally be here.

Edited by Stosh65
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Steady progress has been made over the last few days. Finished interior painting, not the neatest job on cockpit walls for example but they won't really be visible anyway.

DSC_0637_zpszzfziquc.jpg

Sat down last night and did the main assembly. Slotted the pit together though the stick now rests with the carpet monster. High quality clamps used to seal get rid of some small cracks in the fuselage fit.

DSC_0638_zps7uy6ujx0.jpg

DSC_0639_zpsj7wtsh7n.jpg

I'm now in the green Tamiya club following Scale Scotland. Magical stuff. Main assembly finished. Great fitting kit, just fell together apart from the mian wing which needed a little persuasion to join the fuselage. Dropped the flaps, I like the look and it'll be different on the shelf.

DSC_0640_zpsdgqkonyy.jpg

DSC_0641_zps6vrequpf.jpg

A few touch ups required and then some primer and the painting shall commence. Its good to be back at it.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Been chipping away at this for the last few weeks but not been able to update for a variety of reasons. Also, I've lost a load of photos I thought were uploaded to photobucket but turns out I forgot to. So painting is complete and decaling started tonight. Was trying to get this done for the end of the year to include it in my year book but I guess it'll just have to count as an early completion for this year. I will get this done for Sunday. I hope.

DSC_0662_zpsabp2icw9.jpg

Thankfully not to many decals as they're from a starter set (thanks again @Rob G). Could not for the life of me get the wing leading edge stripes to work so I'll be painting them on and have masked up for that. All the others bit for the landing gear, drop tanks and canopy are either done or nearly there so should be simple to do over the weekend.

DSC_0663_zpsmutrlmqr.jpg

• Like 3

Following a decal disaster and a Sunday that's been disrupted by surprise family visits, I'm not going to make this one. Annoying. Should pop up in RFI at some point soon. 

• Like 1