Can the new-tool Airfix Sea Kings be made into Falklands birds?

Procopius

On 19/11/2016 at 10:38 PM, andyf117 said:

If you're referring to the port rear fuselage strake, that was a post-Falklands addition.....

Related question: when were the reinforcements along the fuselage/tail boom joint added?

2 hours ago, Wafu said:

Some very good information accrued here, just like to throw one more consideration if you do build a 846 NAS cab ( sorry, helicopter) don't forget the load lifting beam attached underneath the airframe.

In addition to the comments about the RAF Sea King sent to the Falklands 'post shooting' these did not have any armerment and only provided SAR for the Harriers and subsequently the Phantoms. 

Ascoteer, did you do the Falklands run during your time? 

I assume you mean the 8000lb low response beam? I would imagine that was not standard fit only role fit, even in the early days of the mk4 when it was nice and light prior to all the mods.

Think i and my team were probably the last to fit a low response beam during the iraq(2ndwar) i was asked to trial fit the kit on 848 at yeovilton since a)i ran role equipment 2)i knew what they were on about.

Needless to say it was a bad idea and the kit got slung back in the lay apart store along with the stretcher mod and the paratroop rails .

• Like 1

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Antoine said:

I've read somewhere that they were modified at least to be NVG compatible.

Not that much noticeable. And I believe it was a "field mod" (In the middle of the Atlantic?), like removing some bulbs...

Ho ho what a fun job that was to do

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Can the HAR.3 be built as an ASW Sea King, or only a rescue bird?

Not without some mods. Don't have the kit to hand to give the definitive answer, but you'll need to sort out the cabin window arrangement and move the re-fuelling point from aft of the main cabin door to underneath it for starters. A true OOB Sea King HAS in 1/72 is yet to be done, but the Revell so far comes closest. It's still not perfect, but it'll do until someone does the decent thing.....

Mark.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wafu said:

Aye.

Owing to my MES (Medical Employment Standard), instead of doing a single 6 month tour on 1312 Flt I did 2x 3 month tours.

I later did a 4 month tour as an Ops O at MPA.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Not without some mods. Don't have the kit to hand to give the definitive answer, but you'll need to sort out the cabin window arrangement and move the re-fuelling point from aft of the main cabin door to underneath it for starters. A true OOB Sea King HAS in 1/72 is yet to be done, but the Revell so far comes closest. It's still not perfect, but it'll do until someone does the decent thing.....

Mark.

Need something to hang off it too. 

Mk46,stingray and depth charges..... There is always the bucket of sunshine too 

On 22/11/2016 at 8:49 AM, Wafu said:

Some very good information accrued here, just like to throw one more consideration if you do build a 846 NAS cab ( sorry, helicopter) don't forget the load lifting beam attached underneath the airframe.

In addition to the comments about the RAF Sea King sent to the Falklands 'post shooting' these did not have any armerment and only provided SAR for the Harriers and subsequently the Phantoms. 

I must have imagined fitting that GPMG then

Just seen the preceding post as well.

Edited by Barrovian
  • Like 1

Hi Precopius,

we seem to be going off track here so can you clarify your original request.  Do you want to know about Sea Kings during the Falklands War or Sea Kings that went to and were based in the Falklands postwar?

Mike

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hi Precopius,

we seem to be going off track here so can you clarify your original request.  Do you want to know about Sea Kings during the Falklands War or Sea Kings that went to and were based in the Falklands postwar?

Mike

Yes im confused too royal.

Take everyone knows 846 (motto always threatning.....weekend work😁)is a naval squadron

Edited by junglierating
previous info

Sorry guys, I can only comment from what I saw during the conflict and upto December 1982. 

If if you wish to model the 202 Sdn aircraft during the conflict and upto the end of August, three of them were only based on the Assension Islands, I can't see any reasons why they would have been armed with GPMG mounts in the middle of the Atlantic?

Having been at Navy Point upto December 1982 and seeing the RAF arrive to cover SAR, I didn't see any GPMG mounts fitted, in fact we on 845 NAS had removed ours by the time of the arrival of the RAF in August. 

I can't comment on the RAF fitting GPMG mounts or lift frames. I can only suspect that with the absence of the RN Commando helicopters at the end of 82, the RAF would have had to broaden their roles. Just a thought..

Interesting looking behind one of the photos of the RAF Sea King, a Bristow S61. Didn't see them down south when I was there.

Cheers and gone.

11 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Precopius,

Mike

During the conflict itself -- very sorry for the ambiguity. 

On 18/11/2016 at 5:38 PM, Ascoteer said:

If the NVG fit was anything like Albert it was a case of replacing red bulbs with blue ones.

And if it was anything like the Jag it involved bits of bodge tape over bulbs.....

• Like 1

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 6:30 PM, Fritag said:

And if it was anything like the Jag it involved bits of bodge tape over bulbs.....

Oh we had a posh tool kit with same filament holders with some dodgy bits of green glass and PRC.

Still fair play it all got modded eventually

The nightmare with Albert was that on the NVG airframes, what would normally be RED captions, such as the Master FIRE or Nacelle OVERHEAT captions, would light up blue. This meant that for normal daylight operations the captions were almost impossible to see in certain light/glare conditions. :o

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

The nightmare with Albert was that on the NVG airframes, what would normally be RED captions, such as the Master FIRE or Nacelle OVERHEAT captions, would light up blue. This meant that for normal daylight operations the captions were almost impossible to see in certain light/glare conditions. :o

That's a bummer...

I know we certainly have very few instances of the lights going off in the 212 unwarranted, if ever, but when they do I jump... but not seing them> ohh boy...

Although very interesting, perhaps bulb sizes, on/off etc., really matter in the question raised by the originator for a 1:72 scale kit.  It might be more helpful to advise on which visible lumps and bumps were to be found on the aircraft in question at the time of the conflict? ;)

Mike

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bootneck said:

Although very interesting, perhaps bulb sizes, on/off etc., really matter in the question raised by the originator for a 1:72 scale kit.  It might be more helpful to advise on which visible lumps and bumps were to be found on the aircraft in question at the time of the conflict? ;)

Probably, but at the same time, you have to understand that if you'd told ten year old me that someday he'd be privy to people who worked on and flew actual British military aircraft during the Falklands talking about it, he would have died of joy. 

• Like 2