Can the new-tool Airfix Sea Kings be made into Falklands birds?

Procopius

I have both the Airfix HAR.3 and HC.4 boxings of their new 1/72 Sea King. As my preference is generally to do combat aircraft, is it possible to backdate either (or both!) of these kits into Falklands War machines? If so, what would that entail?

It should be possible to backdate both those kits to Falklands era machines.  Falklands machines as such is not really relevant as no aircraft were built for the conflict.  The situation was upon us before we knew anything about it and it was over just as quickly, before any new designs could be incorporated, so your kits should be fine with a little modification.   Other aircraft, such as the Vulcans and Harriers etc., had mod's done to them though, mostly weapons fits..

Mike

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I have both the Airfix HAR.3 and HC.4 boxings of their new 1/72 Sea King. As my preference is generally to do combat aircraft, is it possible to backdate either (or both!) of these kits into Falklands War machines? If so, what would that entail?

You need to talk to Crispin I'd say Edwardo

I've been looking into doing the HAR.3 kit as a dark sea grey Sea King of 78 Sqn using the Model Alliance sheet decals (see link below)

http://decals.kitreview.com/decals/seakingdecalpreviewbg_1.htm

From the research (looking at lots of pics!!) I've done it does appear that all the necessary parts are in the kit. The main items I picked up on were the need for fwd and aft RWR fairings and these are on the HAR.3 spruces. The barn door FOD deflector is also in the kit. With regards the internal fit, I haven't looked into this as I planned to build mine all buttoned up for some adverse Falklands weather!

Eng

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Albert???

A colloquial name for the Hercules, if I've interpreted your question correctly! 

Edit: I see that you're a much more experienced member than me, so maybe I'm about to be put back in my box. :unsure:

Edited by CurrantBunbury
  • Like 1

"Do not go silent into that dark box, rage etcetera"

It is likely that Hercules fans know what might be unknown to others

Reasonable of you to offer Antoine assistance

Debs of course uses the name without having to think about it, but she drove him around all over the shop and has a huge experience bank to draw on

Luckily we seem to have managed to keep her on the ranch  ;)

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, CurrantBunbury said:

A colloquial name for the Hercules, if I've interpreted your question correctly! 

Edit: I see that you're a much more experienced member than me, so maybe I'm about to be put back in my box. :unsure:

Related to Blue Angels Fat Albert?

Anyway I didn't know, and I don't think it's used over here in Armée de l'Air.

Experienced member???

Never gauge someone on a forum in relation to its post number.

;)

Edited by Antoine
  • Like 2

Yup yup!

Antoine my dear fellow I do apologise.

Albert, or rather Fat Albert, is the RAF's term for the C-130 Hercules (the Blue Angels stole the name from the RAF).

I have somewhat over 2000 hrs flying Albert so it is easy for me to forget that most people are unaware of this name.

Bill, I am somehow kept on the ranch apparently.

• Like 4

Back to the topic, and in for a little hijack.

I became interested in the HC.4 years ago after reading Hutchings book.

specia10.jpg

I quickly found thoses thereafter.

seakin10.jpg

fpath_11.jpg

Well after buying this last item, I became aware that this set was a bit too much for a Falklands HC.4.

Yet that was not an evidence to me after reading the book, but I think that it's much more related to a Balkans war era Sea King?

Am I wrong, or???

For me 2 questions are important to answer...

When were the strakes fitted?

And I believe the old style rotor blades need to be used too for a 1982 fit.

I built 1 in recent colors, but I have 2 more, one of which will be VC from a certain operation in Chile.

Cheers

H.

Thanks Andy, I'm just partially blind today... And a quick search of the site allowed for all those details to be found, including a pre-falklands walkaround with an HC.4 with white markings...

Cheers

H.

On 11/19/2016 at 01:46, Antoine said:

Back to the topic, and in for a little hijack.

I became interested in the HC.4 years ago after reading Hutchings book.

I just bought the book!

Thanks for the tip

H.

Some very good information accrued here, just like to throw one more consideration if you do build a 846 NAS cab ( sorry, helicopter) don't forget the load lifting beam attached underneath the airframe.

In addition to the comments about the RAF Sea King sent to the Falklands 'post shooting' these did not have any armerment and only provided SAR for the Harriers and subsequently the Phantoms. 

Ascoteer, did you do the Falklands run during your time?