Mark I 1/144 Gloster Gladiator - restored links

The Micro-Gladiator completed in the livery of K7957 of No. 73 Squadron, Digby, 1938, as offered by the kit’s decal options. The build thread can be viewed here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235009433-mark-i-1144-gloster-gladiator/

I planned to build it completely OOB, with zero aftermarket or scratch-built parts, but in the end some modifications were unfortunately unavoidable.

Hand brushed with Humbrol and Revell enamels, decals completely from the kit. The blue of the squadron marking is too dark, and the one of the roundels too light. In fact they should have been both just about the same shade, close to the flight colours on the fin.

I enjoyed building the little beast, but I can’t help the feeling the kit looks somehow undernourished from the side view, starting with the wrong shape of the Watts prop, too open front side of the cowling (in fact completely wrong cowling shape), too long undercarriage legs, too low canopy (making it look longer) and wrong curve of the fuselage between the canopy hump and the fin. All this is pretty much obvious on the last photo with my 17 years old Matchbox 1/72 kit in the background. A lot of additional work would have been needed for the Mark I kit to look right but from a distance (which I admit does not have to be that long for 1/144, especially without my reading glasses;)). Conclusion - it looks like a Gladiator, but I would not dare say every inch a Gladiator as some inches look more a Gladia-toy. I trust it is partly caused by the technological limits of the scale, but on the other hand I am sure some parts could have been represented better.

Patrik

PB170016.jpg

PB170017.jpg

PB170027.jpg

PB170012.jpg

PB170013.jpg

PB170020.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 16

Wow, that last photo makes the 1/72 one look 'uge!  The Glad is one of those kits that I have in 1/72, 1/48, and 1/32 (wish I could have one in 1:1!), so I might have to track down one of these teensy ones.  With my eyes I'd probably be happy with "yes, I can tell it is a Gladiator..." anyway.  At least in THAT scale!

bob

Whaaaaat? No rigging?!!!? Or did you use super invisible thread?

Beautiful little model, superbly painted and built. I see what you mean about the prop, etc, But how many people will cast the first stone when they see a 1/144 Gladiator?  "What name did you say guv'nor? Gla...whatee?"

Bottom line, you are in safe territory with regards to the masses dropping by to admire your model.. 

But can you live with yourself? May I suggest hemlock?

Congrat on a great model!

JR

No rigging - my trademark;). And was it Socrates that was given the hemlock infusion?

1/144 is not my scale and the kit was supposed to be just a side project for me so I did not bother correcting the faults. But I think the propeller (sorry, airscrew) deserves replacement. Shortening the U/C legs should be quite easy. These two would help a lot. And then there is the cowling shape (this one would be tough, but it is three piece issue in the kit, so probably doable) and also better canopy from acetate foil - the clear plastic would be always too heavy in this scale. And as it is hard to see anything in the interior without magnifying glass, I would leave like it is.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

the livery depicted in our MKM Gladiator kit is correct. You can found a picture of that aeroplane in a Squadron/Signal book on the Gladiator:

Gladiator%20Mk.I%20K7957_%20reference%20

You may also notice different shade of blue of the unit insignia and roundel.

KR

Michal Ovcacik

Excellent Michal, you are completely right, now I can sleep much better! Would you believe I completely forgot about the Squadron Signal booklet when I was checking the available references back in September 2016?

Regarding the shades of blue. It is always tricky with B/W photos, I do fully understand. There are other 73 Squadron Gladiator photos (one of them is on the same page of the Squadron Signal book as the picture above) showing the "blues" more balanced. So in my opinion the shade should be similar to what we can see on the Shuttleworth Collection Gladiator or in the Airfix 1/72 new tool Mk.I boxing. However I think it is just a minor issue in otherwise nice 1/144 kit.

Diky

Patrik