Tamiya Jaguar Mk II

Alan R

Another one that has sat on the shelf of doom for far too long.

This really needs to be completed, along with...

The Merc

The 308

The Diablo

The FIAT 500

and the Payhauler. They have not been completely forgotten. :)

Anyway, having got that off my chest, here goes. The box top:

y4mTof9X15QfK4n7esbD9CkbmKrNo_XEUrR4xNLC

It's a British classic.

y4m5DRn5vV9OQFbGy8OCXjF7PnFXXpVZQcss91-e

The body was primed using Halfords' red-oxide primer, then top coated with a mix of Tamiya gloss colours mixed as per the instructions. It gives a really good metallic maroon/red finish. I mixed up my own 'pink' primer for the interior as I have run out of the Halfords' primer a long time ago...

y4mu3o_DM7r_G-q4H0dv3R-jIAGeUsJE-ucMfpiR

The floor-pan.

y4mzPoI3I9xxGdqelvL9g29b8SQCslrmUqKWOA3j

y4mgiA64tQcVWIVSDQI48dN0M1RzOd1H1E51wmfl

y4mXiIkCc_4oss6XE4f8scptw3y59-vGouyTV5SU

This kit has been a real pleasure to put together so far, more progress soon.

All the best, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Changed the title to better reflect what I am making!
  • Like 3

I stand corrected! I never knew that. I always assumed that this model was the S-Type.

As for 'Morse-ing' it, I believe that the Morse Jag was the 2.4 litre not the 3.4 and had a single exhaust pipe rather than the twin pipe. Also, the Morse Jag was a solid Maroon, rather than the metallic colour I have painted it. How accurate any of that is I don't know.

I didn't know until yesterday that the older XF was developed from the 'retro' S-Type. What a different car!

I rather fancy one of those. Especially the supercharged 5 litre V8 :)

By the way, does anyone remember the 1/32nd Airfix Mk 10 (or was that the 340)?

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Some missing text...

Been a busy bee today...

No assembly, but some preparation. I have started on the interior a bit...

y4m08ghgMZk7yKRensijKVnCg4XWtmWGtx7PZEyK

The floor is the correct colour according to the instructions... We all know what a mine-field that can be. However, I am happy with the look, so that'll do.

Just need to apply the carpet stuff...

y4mnbZzHVRAuBLIrp0gX4UwJhQr0TfB5A4Y66vG9

Other parts, primed and nearly ready to go. The front seats need a bit of TLC where the back joins the front. Some Mr White putty is needed I think.

I have primed them pink (Matt white and Matt Hull Red XF9 in equal measure) because they are finally going to be red, and it seemed like a good idea...

All the best, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Re-posting images from one-drive...

Beautiful car

believe it or not, i have seen this car Beirut, Lebanon in the early 70's with real jaguar fur upholstery...on all the front and back seats. 

The little folding wood tables at the back of the front seats was what impressed me the most as a child.

• Like 1

Hi Alan!

Great start,just finished a 'Morse' one a couple of weeks ago,            

very impressed with the kit,the only thing I had some bother with was the metal transfers,try to keep them sealed up in the bag until You need them (I know the carpet is in there!) the first couple I put on were OK,then I had problems with them not sticking,maybe the adhesive dried out?

Otherwise,an absolute pleasure to  build,enjoy!

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Sorry it's taken so long to update this thread. So many things going on. Anyway, I thought that it was time to do some more work on this.

I had finished the seats and had 'weathered' them a bit. Just a bit of dark red enamel wash in the crevasses.

Then, looking at the instructions, I had to decal the dash-board with 'wood-veneer effect' decals. However, when I looked at the decals, some kind of 'rot' had set in, and the decal had become like bark. That's the only way I can describe it.

Anyway, I tried to apply the decal to the dashboard, and as soon as the decal hit the water, it broke up into thousands of tiny bits. So, since I couldn't find any replacement, I painted all the 'wood-y' bits a red-ish tan. It doesn't look too bad, just no wood-grain. I did think about some kind of scumbling (I think that's what it's called), but decided that I neither have the skill (yet) or the will-power to do that. Actually, I think that at 1/24th scale, the grain would be very indistinct.

Anyway, some pictures:

y4mMeE-04TmRxo3Oc705dSlw7FqKdu3hb2ike7yO

The steering wheel. The horn ring and the control stalks have been chromed with the marvellous Molotow Chrome pen. It's a bit tricky to see it here, but they really do look 'chrome'...

y4mmEwMaU1-2W6N2gEalSb6cPrt4B40ZU4NaVAz8

The dashboard. The speaker grille is also chromed with the Molotow pen, as is the glove-box lock and the sliders either side of the radio. So are the switches. If I had time I would have got some p.e. switches from Hiroboy...

y4mzoNmq475VIrk1Pdb_gQnK1BrBblCiq1r1eImX

Seats and transmission tunnel console fitted. Again, it doesn't look too bad.

I am hoping to get the gear-lever and door panels in place soon.

Thanks for looking, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Photobucket blackmail!
  • Like 1

Hello All,

Due to an enforced absence from work, due to a close family bereavement, I have been working at my workbench rather more than usual. 

Building models is my therapy. It helps me to cope with the loss and grief that I feel.

You can never really get over the loss of a close family member, my Dad in this case, but using your hands in this way allows your mind time to come to terms with it.

Anyway, I started on the Jag. I was about to install the dash-board, when I noticed in the instructions that I needed to complete and install the fire-wall and radiator.

So, I finished off the brake servo and battery ready to install on the firewall. I then though that the battery needed cables to make it a little more realistic. Unfortunately, I didn't have any red or black wire of the right gauge. I remembered that in my garage, I have several unused SCART leads, now no longer needed as everything in my AV system uses SPDIF or HDMI connectors. So, accordingly, one particularly fine SCART lead sacrificed its entrails to my modelling cause... I now have several metres of coloured cables in several gauges in my stash, including red and black. This may seem an extravagant waste of a fully functioning SCART lead, but to be honest, it had sat in the garage for at least three (or more...) years and was just waste product, if you like.

So, the firewall:

y4mpJ3JwQKA0dRHKwUetjNUHHvOzr3HvWW32jztd

You can see the red and black leads coming from the battery and disappearing ... somewhere. I drilled two small holes in the firewall to have the leads go somewhere. Once installed in the chassis, they won't be that visible.

y4mkkNiFPFnBDvX5KIfTO38hOogKdrG8TZkJjnGw

The fact that the leads 'emerge' from the battery won't matter much in my opinion. However, I do need to think of a better way to mimic the connectors on the battery...

After I had installed the firewall and dashboard, I finished off the interior. I had to put the gear-knob in its correct place, then I was able to put the door-panels on, thus:

y4mzoNmq475VIrk1Pdb_gQnK1BrBblCiq1r1eImX

y4mEe2ZTzso1sZ5aqcH9wojFdHzKcCQvXYdQpo20

y4mmd_pJw5BDqCk-lfSw_aOweX_zzBMou6jDlgzX

y4md3zkhp3X_75vwv0HRHxRugVffF7tkoyVGjMyD

I also installed the radiator at this point. An observation, older cars' radiators are much more 'sit-up-and-beg' than modern radiators. I guess it's because of the low profile front ends of modern cars. It's almost as if the manufacturers have laid the radiator on its side on new cars!

When I installed the radiator, I noticed that the water hose from the engine block didn't meet the connection point on the radiator. A thin sliver of evergreen rod of an appropriate diameter sorted this out.

I then installed the wheels. Tamiya certainly know how to design the sprues so that the attachment points are both small, and virtually hidden when the item is assembled. However, I tidied up the attachment points and a quick swipe with a silver gel-pen rendered then invisible. The wheels fitted well:

y4moiatkpVtt-BXBfF-5zk-gObKwwgoNbH2iymhf

y4mHXeh0QFIQQqHn9pMJ9lU59QuHZ6aULtA2yWlu

y4mzz5vPPXy3Yz78KE6bh8iBoaURZVlLkOjhH2Bn

y4mk2hlx7_c4THttnVS-JfbqwgMnQLAmj4i0ClSn

Finally, I added the knock-off wheel 'nuts'. You have to be careful here as they are 'handed'. One side the nuts are threaded clock-wise, the other, anti-clock-wise. If you don't do this on the real car, one set of wheels would come loose very quickly...

Duly noting that the knock-off nuts were different on each side, I attached them as per the instructions:

y4mvWf_U6L02p5JMxuC-VQ5YSUhKzJESy7E0JFx0

y4m6AplkYsYxrG9JIkk_wgKPSlwHUSGbrP1Rf0Tj

y4mmy7vGtlJDQu7wEivwCTZkHabKNvgKWZnu4tmu

y4mvct_UTmntcJBX7yysREN_zv-oDAfhNHD-_0dw

I have started on the body shell, ready for installing on the chassis, but no pictures yet.

The instructions show that the window surrounds are chrome, so out came the Molotow chrome pen again. With care you can draw round the window frames 'free-hand'...

That's all for the moment. More to come, later today, I hope.

Edited by Alan R
Moving away from photobucket
  • Like 1

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your kind comments.

My Dad was one in a million. I know most people say that. I am going to miss him.

More on the Jag tomorrow!

Cheers, Alan.

Hello All,

Some further progress.

I have managed to get the glazing in. As this is a Tamiya kit, the glazing fitted really well.

The instructions call for the surrounds around the windows to be painted X-11 silver. I decided that the real Mk 2 would have had chrome around here, so out came the Molotow Chrome pen, this is the result:

y4m35es42rktjt2C7YKHatrotajX5gLPy1waqSDg

y4mum7dzF36lcdrUeVWDdU71cJeXSvmsdE7sK_L4

y4mUBH84-dVhxPzBRHHfe_NAot5su_RpSaxmpNfN

y4mvVR5Q5tHNxMdPvvFtNRGgukePaqRbJewzwTfI

Not perfect, but still a vast improvement on silver paint.

I think that it could be a bit tidier around the rain gutters, but I think with care I can carefully remove the over-painting of chrome.

I tried at first just plating the window surrounds, but the chrome really needs a backing colour (most likely black) to bring out the chrome without appearing transparent.

So, I carefully removed the chrome with a bit of IPA, then painted the frame light grey. This meant that the inside of the window matched the colour of the roof-lining. Once I had got three or four coats of the grey on, I then over-painted that with a few light coats of Abbadon Black.

Once that had set, I then applied the chrome. Somehow, I managed to get a small pool of the chrome paint on my cutting mat. I thought, 'Oh I can use that!'. I dipped the end of a cocktail stick in the paint and carefully applied it, using the cocktail stick onto the black window frame. It was much easier than trying to use a brush.

Still a long way to go. I need to put on the 'chrome' stickers. Some people have said that they lose their 'stickiness' in storage. I hope that's not the case.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Some more progress, despite the fact that it nearly ended up in the bin!

I had managed to get the body on the floor-pan, only to notice that I had forgotten to fit the rear-view mirror!

Simple enough problem. It seems to be one of my memory blind spots. This isn't the first time that I have forgotten the mirror.

Anyway, I got the body off easily enough and I managed to install the mirror.

This is when the litany of woes started...

• I managed to push in the windscreen! That dislodged the mirror,
  • In attempting to re-fit the windscreen, I popped out the rear window,
  • I fitted the two windows back, nearly forgetting the rear-view mirror again!
  • Tried to put the body back on, both front and rear windows popped out again!
  • Fixed the windows AND the mirror, started putting the body back on, and one of the steering arms snapped off!

At this point I had finally lost my rag and threw the thing in the box with such force that I managed to lose the mirror again and one of the rear shock-absorbers fell off.

It reminds me of the Gerard Hoffnung work accident claim. (It's called 'The Bricklayers Story')

After I calmed down and looked at the carnage. The steering arm was repairable. With care, I cemented the arm back into place so that the from wheels were parallel,

At that point, I put everything away and left it overnight.

The following morning, I couldn't help just look at the body shell and as I was doing that, the bonnet fell off on to the hard floor and I managed to break off one of the hinges!

This bugger was fighting me all the way! I then went on a search on the floor of the conservatory and I eventually found the 'lost' bonnet bit AND the missing rear-view mirror!

Once again I put all away, as I had to go to work.

That evening, I picked up the bits, I was able to re-cement the hinge on the bonnet without too much trouble. I also re-fitted the mirror ... again! and the rear shock-absorber.

The following evening, I re-fitted the body shell to the floor-pan, and what's more the mirror stayed in place!

Anyway, here is where we are:

y4miHr3_MZTd5Tcdjej5CwdKVffYZCOC-EWGojqK

y4mtNSbjZ31Ik38c6capBz9dkhF_MPod_kj5Sd45

There should be other images, but photobucket isn't playing ball right now. Not sure why, as these two are linked to photobucket!

I will try again later.

Still quite a lot to do:

I tried the metal transfers and they didn't stick. I tried the Molotow pen, but it's a bit raggedy in places. I hope to tidy that up later. If you are very careful, you can use a cocktail stick to scrape away some of the chrome.

Anyway, we are back on track.

Edited by Alan R
Had to save mid-stream as photobucket not playing ball...

Hello All,

Another attempt to get the images posted.

y4md3jIAYwQN8qcKNRYKDgHkAUFev0A7pdXY0G2w

The chrome does look a bit 'raggedy'. That will have to be tidied up on final assembly.

As I said before, there are a few more bits to add to finish it, but we're on the final straight!

Edited by Alan R

Hi Roger,

Fortunately, all the 'damage' was in places that aren't that visible. the paintwork survived the forced re-entry into the box rather well.

As I say, I need to attend to the chrome a bit. I think the cocktail stick applicator wasn't a fine enough tool to apply the chrome evenly.

Still, we all learn from our mistakes, and I seem to make a considerable number! :)

Cheers, Alan.

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

Just to let you all know that I haven't died quite yet!

This one has to be the next one to finish. I'm almost there.

However, I have a problem with the 'sticky' (!) chrome trim. It isn't!

I guess I'll have to make do without, or perhaps use a bit of "evil-stink" contact adhesive ... VERY carefully :)

Pictures when I get started again...

All the best, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Finally an update. I can't quite believe that I haven't really done anything to this since last summer!

I finally got something done. I had battled with the metal transfers, but couldn't get the blighters to adhere to the body. I finally hit on the idea of putting a little (very) diluted PVA glue on the place where the transfer was to be placed. Well, it worked ... kinda.

So, here are the pictures:

y4mSZSzE28NacB6V_G8OifGixeJuJYuBx3ET-cQa

If you look closely, The "JAGUAR" badge is more like "JA GUAR". It broke while I was applying it, and it seemed ok until I looked at the picture. Still, I'm not going the try and move it now. It's stuck down and it's staying as it is. :)

This picture shows it even more clearly:

y4mkpzrWriyMRO4CJljVBtv8tIvPCMsfA1NKXs9H

Another shot:

y4msNdDLzmALDn3SB8gExRwLqmb2_m51kAHIUxkV

Door handles and windscreen wipers on. They were a breeze.

y4m3sJLs5X1Ooj9pmF5v3Oh8iRw2Z3csFpbD7TQ3

y4mzH3FyjD6_7k24WJQ0KoX6e8EaTD7fMdk7CpRj

More has been done since these were taken. I just need to take the photographs.

I an still a bit bothered about the bright-work around the windows. The pictures do make it look a lot worse than it is...

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 1