Italeri Lamborghini Diablo VT

Alan R

I discovered that there aren't many Diablo builds here, especially the Italeri version, so I though that even though the damn thing is nearly finished after 10 or more years on the shelf of doom.

I recently got my mojo back after another hiatus of nearly a whole year.

So here it is:

First the box:

IMG_0043_zpsdc7ryr68.jpg

A bit tatty, but it's been in the loft for a long while, so can be excused perhaps.

This is I think, the original boxing. I think that Italeri have re-released this this year.

It's gone together reasonably well, so far. But Italeri kits have a bit of a reputation as being a bit of a bugger in the fit department...

The current state:

IMG_0036_zpsc66liizf.jpg

IMG_0046_zpse51f9syi.jpg

IMG_0044_zpsxevpytzt.jpg

The engine bay is really just the top and not complete. But after a bit of careful painting, I think that it looks quite good.

I think that the plenum chambers (if that's what they are) need a bit of prettifying. The Lamborghini raised parts need to be another colour. I doubt that the real engine has this, but frankly I don't care! It's my Lambo, and that's what I would want!

Body:

IMG_0039_zpsmp5ws4xy.jpg

IMG_0041_zps6tpr36gi.jpg

Wheels and tyres:

IMG_0042_zpskkgrsmth.jpg

This is to be honest, is the weakest part of the kit. The tyres are that crappy vinyl stuff, that leaks an oily goo that eventually melts polystyrene. Fortunately all the wheels are fully painted, especially where the tyres touch the plastic, so this should protect it.

Hope you like it.

All the best, Alan.

The wheels are on the bus, and they go round and round....

Not a big update, very busy weekend at our church.

Anyway, here they are.

IMG_0061_zpsgqq08cku.jpg

IMG_0063_zpsta4dryjr.jpg

IMG_0062_zps2z4pdnba.jpg

IMG_0060_zpsczbrxycd.jpg

Not only did they fit and turn, but the whole chassis sits flat on all four wheels!

I also high-lighted the raised detail on the engine in red. Doesn't show very well on these pictures, but it does seem to add a little business to an otherwise bland engine area. I think a bit of weathering might help as well.

Regards, Alan.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Progress...

I have got the body on the floor-pan.

It wasn't as painful as I expected. I had to 'adjust' the rear bulkhead to fit the engine cover, and I think that the engine cover could do with some minor adjustments.

The rear bulkhead was too prominent and was fouling the front of the engine cover. Whether this was because there was an issue with the moulding or because of some fundamental fault in the way I had assembled it, I'm not sure. But after about 30 minutes of filing to the bulkhead, the engine cover fitted well.

Anyway here are the pictures:

DPP_0064_zpsu5pmsbks.jpg

The rear:

DPP_0067_zps8lselum1.jpg

Three-quarters view (rear):

DPP_0063_zpsw2f8nz97.jpg

Three quarters view (front):

DPP_0065_zpsl4meaayl.jpg

Full profile:

DPP_0066_zps6rorkdno.jpg

I think that it gives a good idea of the imposing shape of a Diablo.

Still a lot to do. All the lights need to be added, the door mirrors and the exhaust...

I think that I might get the Lamborghini metal transfers for the Aventador from Hiroboy. Event if they aren't quite right, they will look better than the frankly dismal Italeri decals.

More to come.

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...