*COMPLETE* 1/72 Wessex 60

milktrip

I'll join in with this.

31046034575_c5a98d889d_z.jpg

italeri 1/72 kit and S&M decals.  Will be building a Wessex 60, operated by Bristow but not the one on the decal sheet - instead it will be "G-ATSC" 

placed an order for some PE & some reference books.  Already started fettling the nose intake area; would like to finish my S-61N before focussing on this but will see how things go...

cheers

Aaron

• Like 4

Thanks for the info Colin, much appreciated.

I have been looking at your Wessex 60 photos in the walk around section,Mike.  http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234941609-westland-wessex-60-civilian/

Excellent selection of photos which are very useful, thanks for sharing them.

cheers

Aaron

Whilst waiting for the PE to arrive, I started detailing, modifying and gluing some parts together.

I know very little about the Wessex and all its variants so just going by photographs.

30344394893_6d0ed5f62d_z.jpg

31115764136_cc177bc4f9_z.jpg

close up

30784030490_e3da41f623_z.jpg

air intake,  need to add primer to see how my filler repairs look.  Will also add something at the bottom.  This is an (un)educated guess; does this look correct?

31008167882_727e5fdda3_z.jpg

cheers

Aaron

• Like 5

Nice work so far, love the hydraulic pipes

Not entirely happy with the nose intake though, it looks a bit like the matchbox nose to me and I think its too wide and looks so when I compare it with the 4+ plans of the HU5 HC2 intake which is comparitively far daintier

My 4+ scale drawing give a dimension of 17/32nds of an inch

I'm not sure what that is in EU money, I never uses it... let's see, that makes it 14mm across the hole port to starboard

In comparison the Matchbox one is like the famous wide mouthed frog, wider

Hmm just measured the Crapaleri in my drawer and it seems to be 20mm across the filter cover, I made my HC2 and HAR2 to be the same size and shape as the 4+ plans aperture, do you have that to hand? Its the 'compendium of accurate' of choice for many of us here

b

• Like 2

Thanks Bill,

I just received the 4+ book through the post today (along with the warpaint book and the PE & masks).  I had a look at the plans and see what you mean.  I can't recall what book, but there was a photo of the intake without the mesh fitted;  I can see that the trunking is a little more curved at the top so will try to remedy this.  I'm not that fussed on accuracy for this build (otherwise I would never finish it!!), I can see that the italeri kit is too short but to me it looks like a Wessex, which suites me.   For the intake though, I will try to narrow from the bottom section but if it turns out all wrong then I can always fit a protective cover :D 

cheers

Aaron

• Like 2

Hi Aaron, Italeri have cut the inner ducting short, probably tooling/moulding difficulties. It should flow down more and then turn back to present the airfolw into the engine intakes and athe same time take out any dust/debris particles.

I'm sure you'll make a superb job of your model.

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks guys;  enjoying this one so far.  Been filling & sanding the intake, it looks a lot better than before thats for sure but difficult to smooth the edges on the inside of the trunking.  

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:16 AM, perdu said:

that makes it 14mm across the hole port to starboard

In comparison the Matchbox one is like the famous wide mouthed frog, wider

Hmm just measured the Crapaleri in my drawer and it seems to be 20mm across the filter cover

Just to clarify, and hope I'm not dragging this off subject too far, does that mean then the mouth of the Crapaleri wessie needs to be reduced by 3mm each side? I did catch one head on view and comparing it to the kit the intake does look a lot thinner. I wonder how to achieve that????

Bob

I havent built the Crapaleri one yet but its the same distortion (near enough) on the Matchbox one

When I buily mine I filled the filter casing with white milliput and let it set

Then let rip with my  old favourite, the six inch, second cut, half round file and took it down to suit from the outside

You can just make out the same treatment on my HAS 3 nose from Matchbox which needed the same treatment to get it right

P1110656.jpg

its on the blue bit inside

b

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Cheers for the info Bill,  I wish I knew that before I started though :(  I drilled and cut out the opening initially (as per photo above) then used vallejo plastic putty and layered up around the edges of the opening; sanded to suite.  Tricky but I think it looks okay now (photo later this evening, maybe).  I did try using a white milliput sausage instead of the putty at first but that was rather fiddly, a lot better control with the vallejo.  I think next time I will try your method.

• Like 2

Thanks for the photos Colin.  Different nose to the one I'm building.  However, after seeing Mike's walk around photos and yours I'm certainly considering trying to build another with that type intake. 

AS I'm here, no major update apart form some primer to the interior parts last week. I'm now back at work so no progress updates until I'm home (week on Thursday)

cheers

Aaron

• 3 weeks later...

hello,

interior parts painted; just went OOB for this build apart from the belts which are spares from an alouette PE set.

31476751532_0aee95e7fb_z.jpg

fuselage glued together and filler applied where necessary.  I got a little premature on the detailing and PE, should have waited but easy enough to work around; continuing on with surface detailing.

30774731214_f77e3829e5_z.jpg

30806418023_faeb6edc8b_z.jpg

undercarriage, wheel struts or whatever they are called are just "tac'd" on for now.  the top of the air take sticks out a bit too far but it will do.

and here's the actual Wessex I'm trying to recreate

30806439753_53a38c3626_z.jpg

cheers for looking

Aaron

• Like 1

Ooooh, looking very good. The cockpit seats in both the 72nd and 48the kits really are pieces of doggy do. they don't remotely represent the prototypes at all. Italeri's less than interested toolmoker really did have a day off here!!!! I'm trying against all odds to mackle the kit parts into something that look vaguely like the real thing. Not easy!

Colin

• Like 1

thank you all very much.

It has been a very slow process but I think I've finished the PE & surface detailing (well the stuff that can be done before painting and masking that is).  After reading Colin's note about the legs being in the extended position I cut & trimmed a few mm from the kit pieces; nothing scientific but improves the look,  well I think so.

I've also made part of the pitot tube thing from some brass rod; I'll paint this separately and glue in place when complete.  I cut the exhaust parts down as they are shorter on the Wessex 60 I'm trying to recreate.  Still need to extend the masking around the windows (I used the eduard pre cut mask set but for some reason the side window parts are cut too small, well I think so).  So almost ready for primer :)

31744566316_f745e64135_z.jpg

30972085063_18cbc4096f_z.jpg

31634367962_5d8a7c5d0e_z.jpg

31409143740_e1b4e13947_z.jpg

oh P.S. the italeri 1/72 kit has the tail rotor the wrong way round.  Swapped the blades around, straight forward fix but still slightly annoying.

thanks for looking

Aaron

• Like 1