A350 Crosswind training at Stornoway

eng

12 hours ago, Latinbear said:

That's a great bit of video. Is it always like that in Stornaway?

I think it gets its fair share of poor weather just like anywhere else in Scotland, but it seems to host a fair amount of aircraft for crosswind training, probably due to it bein fairly remote and quiet. If I remember correctly it was used for the 757-300 trials a number of years ago. 

Stornoway's main runway is fairly long at 7595ft (a shorter one is also avail at 3821ft) as it played host to military fast jets back in mid 80's to mid 90's when it was used as a NATO forward operating base for 6 weeks at a time. There is a large Gaydon type military hangar on the airfield as well which I believe is currently used for the Coastguard SAR S-92

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1265638

I flew into Stornoway once back around '90-'91 on a BA ATP fortunately conditions were considerably better than in the clip from the BBC this week!

Eng 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great film,......but you want to see Leeds/Bradford Airport,......now that is `sporting'! Once landed there in a Herk and was looking down the runway from the cargo bay windows until the last minute when a large boot full of rudder swung us level with the centre line stripes! The others following us in were a sight to behold from the ground too and I`ve seen some extremely dodgy landings by airliners there too.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1