Wessex HAS3 XP150 - 406 HMS Antrim Flight 78/80

perdu

I am in officially

after building two RAF Walters one from Matchbox's  HU5 and one from Frog's venerable HAS1/31

dust-offatlast040.jpg

Matchbox as HC2 now in RAF Cosford, finished as the museum's machine XR525

and

SARWessexSARkit22012.jpg

RAF HAR2 XT601 from a fuselage I'd had lying around

A guy who saw this at Telford on Saturday was amazed "Even got the SACRU cabling!"  Well why wouldn't you?

The reason I'm showing these is because of the kit I'm using

A friend gave me his old, painted and decorated Matchbox HU5 in Rescue markings which was past its best by a country mile, "Can you make this into something nicer please?"

I used some of its bits to help make the HAR2 above, now it's pay back time for this old beastie

Stripped down and opened back up here we go

The nose section I didn't use on the HC2 has been pressganged into service to make the earlier machine possible

P1110655.jpg

I intend giving this a go, concurrently with the Wasp I'm converting from the Airfix Scout

Shall we see how we go huh?

I have the 4+ Wessex Bible

Lots of paint and glue and a fair old bit of plasticard left

And time to rock'n'roll 'til Febrooery  :thumbsup2:

Edited by perdu
  • Like 8

I got a seat at the front :bounce: !

I love seeing old kits recycled and renovated. Really looking forward to this :) .

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

A very interesting choice, not really paid much attention to the Frog Wessex, doesn't look so bad? (I am gauging my opinion on having had Frog Gannets and Attackers!). Looking forward to seeing this one being reborn!

Bob

I've been gifted lots of detail data, ta M

Hence this may be taking up valuable Wasp time

Shame huh. :(

Checking though one of my hideaway kit cupboards I find I've Italeri's HU5, a boxed Froggie and an Italeri H19 as well as this Matchbox one

No shortage of usable spare bits if this one's bits didn't make it into my possession

Also invaluable Modeldecals Naval Wessex set, dim memory whispers no99

Wonder if that is it, no matter. I've got it and this is how I'll be using much of it

I will be making the parrot nose and no doubt the fairing in front of the radome

Not to be Humphrey though, I'll leave him to others

Golden Yellow over RAF Blue- Grey..

Mmm

• Like 1

Wilco Colin

Just stopped myself BUYING extra stuff for this, there's this tasty looking hump and radome and exhausts in Hannants

Then I thinks no, idiot you already have more stuff than Big H in helicopter storage, build with what you have got

What I've got is loads of info from Mike, loads of Milliput from Dolgellau, stacks of plasticard from Mike's Models

A sacrificial if it seems necessary HU5 from my least favourite manuf.turer

And time while the Wasp seats rethink glue sets

Ill pop a picture or two in tonight to inaugurate this one tonight

• Like 1

OK Colin, since you are chief grubber round this build I suppose I need to keep you up to speed slowness

Here's the state of play up to an hour ago

The bits laid out with Modeldecal no 99 in sight

P1110670.jpg

P1110672.jpg

to give some kind of evidence that I've only just begun (Oh that silky, sexy voiced Karen C, mmm) I have laid it out alongside the Wasp build I'm into at the mo'

P1110675.jpg

Various bits of Wasperie visible there including the undercart that is giving me the willies just at present

Swamped by the flash a bit but you can see the changes to the foreward firewall and a new tail cone access door panel which will be getting its soundproof quilting later

The totally unrepresentative cockpit floor now has the underfloor draught inducer holes cut out

P1110677.jpg

a better one of the firewall and a cabin roof I made which turns out to be unneeded as the kit has a half decent ceiling already

The half cut rotor head parts werescratch built a while ago I admit but as it isnt getting used I dont count it as a cheat

Ill show it after the end of build, maybe as scale item if I'm short of dosh on pictures day instead of the obligatory quid coin

So two builds going as on I want the Wasp ready to take on the trail next February, I hear there's models at Huddy again next year and we need fresh stuff on the club tables

February looks like an important month

ps, I mentioned an hour ago, now the floor is in and there's a rectangular 'ole in it over the round Sonar 'ole and now I'm about to experiment with wino foil for the firewall access panels  Yummy

Pics maybe tomorrow or Wednesday

• Like 4

Rightoh

I hope the rivet counters are looking at Crisp's Sea King and not considering joining the rib counters

I have put in most of the internal ribbing (no fishplate spreaders yet where they will be vaguely visible on the rib - stringer crossovers...)

but sadly not all of them, nor the odd additional rib joiners where things got bunged onto the airframe

When the Sonar winch and arrays are in place (as mock ups) I may add the odd extras, or maybe not...  :)

P1110686.jpg

some of the stuff in the front port corner will be hidden behind racking, not about to try to make this one fly unless exasperation sets in :) 

I mentioned that lovely dogkennel hump in Hannants, forgot to mention I still have lots of garish plasticene lying about doing nowt

So a small amount has been pressed into service for casting my own  (pressed into service, I slay me some days, ... next week probably :(

Here's my hump and the basic casting mould for the sonar fairing too

P1110687.jpg

Soon tidy this up after it gets cast in resin

P1110689.jpg

slightly oversize hump easily reduced to size and shape later when it's hard enough to file

Also been fitting the fuselage stringers and making the sonar winch base fittings and made a start on some of the racking

P1110692.jpg

That is all for a day or so, I need to crack on with the Wasp undercarriage and finish the seats

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

Great scratch building in there, I take it you will have the door open to display all that effort! In response to your question about the blueness of the bulged window, I don't think it was blued out. Looking at Humphrey in the walk around section that one doesn't but not too sure about regular ones. I however have opted to blue out mine out because my cabin is blanker than a Naval Chefs Course success rate ;)! So artistic license is enforced!

Loving the sculpting as well!

Bob

• Like 1

I think I detect a tad of irony there

But with my irony filter in dock for repairs and no reserves I just amn't sure  he he

Anyway I am working on my two builds in strict rotation, fair enough as they both have rotors

Wopsey was yesterday so Walter is today

I have been working the innards and will be for a while yet it seems

(All the time my rubber mould for the dogkennel and sonar bulge is curing down in the annexe/garage. first resin pour is tomorrow if I remember )

Today it is time for the sonar hole to get its walls

P1110698.jpg

And to begin making the Sonar machinery and framework

P1110699.jpg

the floor is a separate entity for now and all the gubbinses are going to be fitted to it before glueing them into the fuselage

Some of my very precious red Slater's rodding is making the first upright, which the other framework will be getting stuck to or held away from

P1110701.jpg

The winch mounting frame is in situ and so is the frame mount across the floor

P1110702.jpg

the upper sonar duct cavity is installed too now

P1110705.jpg

and can be seen through the door

Not much else can, maybe I should stop here  ;)

Kidding, I'd miss it if I didn't get it all together

I have begun making the screens and other frames too but they aren't IN so they don't get shown

I'm trying to find pictures of a complete Wessex HAS3 Sonar rig, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Even the 4+ book only has details of a cannibalised Humphrey with most of his/her bits missing inside and the fabulous details Bootneck got me don't quite go 'all the way' with whats there

If I have to I'll fake it but I'd rather be rightish

Night all

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

Found a lot of great pictures in the XM328 restoration at the Helicopter Museum which have been a great help

This is a wonderful thing about the interthingy, always something else to astound you

Anyway I got the boys at my garage casting facility (me!) in yesterday on timeannahalf and that resulted in me getting this to inspect

P1110706.jpg

Investigation got me to this

P1110711.jpg

A blob for the sonar ducting panel  and a bigger whatever for the hump (technical name the hump) which is the famed horsecollar fairing behind the rotor head transmission gearbox

For details of the innards of that don't look here, follow Hendie's wonderful Walter thread

So what did we get for eighty pence worth of resin?

ThisP1110712.jpg

the oversized (deliberately) pair of resin bits to be fettled into shape

Hence

P1110717.jpg

which eventually gets hereP1110720.jpg

Obviously much fettling to do, should I have bought a resin set instead? Well maybe but if I had I would have missed out on the part of modelling I love, the creative bounce

So after mucho fettling with mostly a Swann-Morton Number two craft knife blade (I do not believe that their scalpel blades are inherently strong enough to carve resin as brutally as I have tonight) I get this exquisite form, from that lumpen mass

P1110724.jpg

P1110728.jpg

I like it so after a little more fettling and filling with cyano paste it will be ready to install

Next (Probably Tuesday because Waspie gets tomorrow in the shared time sessions schedule) will be sonar ducting cover to fettle

Night all

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

there is so much more satisfaction in creating something entirely from scratch isn't there?  I think it was a similar part - the engine housing on my Dauphin build that got me meandering down the scratchy path.  Of course at that point I still hadn't discovered silicone molding and resin, but styrene and epoxy putty were just as good for a one-off.

Nice fettling (but you knew that already !)

• Like 1