1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat, VF-32. Finished 25/1

DaveJL

That's the narrow stripe that cuts laterally across the sides of the intake trunks, bases of the vertical fins, upper fuselage and is a right pain in the bottom to mask off. It indicates the....forgive me, "Danger Zone" where the engine compressor stage is at.

LOL

-d-

More done. Majority of decals went on. For the most part, they fitted just fine despite being sized for the Hasegawa kit.

IMG_2455_zpsg2ibtrin.jpg

IMG_2456_zpscwy7a8fi.jpg

IMG_2457_zpsd0mf3ehq.jpg

IMG_2458_zpsslkyzufh.jpg

Also decalled the missiles - mixture of the Furball sheet and Tamiya:

IMG_2454_zpsyfnik6xd.jpg

All sealed in with a top coat of gloss, ready for panel line wash. Now, the one issue i had with the Fightertown decals was the tail fins; the decals just did not fit. They were too big for the kit parts and would not allow the fitment of the John F Kennedy decal. So i will try and paint the background for the swords:

IMG_2459_zpssypcwbw6.jpg

207 was heavily weathered so even if my masking isn't perfect, the weathering should make it look ok. 

More soon.

Dave

More done. Wash on:

IMG_2460_zpsqocxsvxq.jpg

IMG_2461_zps7fl22mhj.jpg

IMG_2462_zpsvgto2oc7.jpg

Left for 40 minutes, then the excess cleaned off:

IMG_2469_zpsf4hxzcnx.jpg

IMG_2470_zps4s524dqx.jpg

IMG_2471_zpsqpghgsjs.jpg

IMG_2468_zpsrxnd4viv.jpgIMG_2467_zps0lfahcyp.jpg

Wheel bays were also given a light wash, though it's hard to make out in the pictures. Note the fuel tanks have been attached. I mixed a bit of wash with some varnish and gave a very light overspray to give the blotchy appearance so often seen on USN jets. This will be complemented by some further weathering with various tones of grey, some dry brushing and some pigments.

Wings and stabilisers:

IMG_2465_zpsiw52tgdg.jpg

Missiles:

IMG_2466_zpscxhounnc.jpg

Hoping to have the tail fins sorted this week along with the rest of the weathering.

More soon.

Dave

More done. Tail fins completed, glossed, decalled and weathered:

IMG_2473_zpstlh60ptz.jpg

Landing gear added and arrestor hook attached (still needs weathered):

IMG_2474_zpsgsonjvpz.jpgIMG_2475_zpsjsadslwx.jpg

Tail fins added:

fullsizeoutput_bbf_zpsu5e9bux2.jpeg

Nearly there! More soon,

Dave

• Like 3

Looking good, really must find time to start mine, hey ho. A question if I may? What do you use for the wash?? Is it home made or commercial? Thanks in advance

Simon

3 minutes ago, Simon382 said:

Looking good, really must find time to start mine, hey ho. A question if I may? What do you use for the wash?? Is it home made or commercial? Thanks in advance

Simon

Thanks Simon. I use Flory Models 'Dark' wash. To get the blotchy appearance on USN jets, I mix a drop or two with a bit of varnish and lightly overspray it. I then add some wash to a touch of the grey paint  (light ghost grey in this case) and a drop of washing up liquid. I then dab it in random patterns across the airframe and around panels to give the worn and faded paint look. It's a bit difficult to make out but I think it works well.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Looking good dave 👍🏿

nice chin pod btw

Does it need the little probe antenna coming out of it? 

ps Need to do the little metal 'rollerons' (?) on the tips of the winders rear fins...

Cheers Tony.

Good spot, I forgot about the metallic bits on the fins. As for the antennae, I forgot about that too :lol:

Will add those wee bits to the list!

Dave

Looking good, and a nice choice of subject. I have a hard time keeping your Tomcat threads separate though - there are so many of them!   :) 

I have the Tamiya 1:32 F-14A, along with the Eduard Big Ed set, some resin, and a nice Fightertown decal sheet with some cool NSAWC Adversary schemes. There's only one problem - I built the kit in 1981 right after it first came out. I guess I have to figure out how to take it apart...

Cheers,

Bill

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Cheers Tony.

Good spot, I forgot about the metallic bits on the fins. As for the antennae, I forgot about that too :lol:

Will add those wee bits to the list!

Dave

No worries mate dave thats why we are all here here to help each other out :) 

I have seen what I can only assume are 'early' versions of the tcs without the prong antenna sticking out of the bottom of it though. A bird I have planned features one as such. 

It may be worth checking if the vf32 birds did or the date when that feature came in? As long as its pre 88 then you are good :) 

The one in the dangerzone zone kit doesn't have it obviously (wouldn't cast well in resin anyway) but no mention in the instructions to add it with wire or similar as is normally the case with eduard stuff... 

Sorry for the semi-squiff ramblings ha ha. 

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Looking good, and a nice choice of subject. I have a hard time keeping your Tomcat threads separate though - there are so many of them!   :) 

I have the Tamiya 1:32 F-14A, along with the Eduard Big Ed set, some resin, and a nice Fightertown decal sheet with some cool NSAWC Adversary schemes. There's only one problem - I built the kit in 1981 right after it first came out. I guess I have to figure out how to take it apart...

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers Bill! There will be a bit of a break after this one, pending release of the AMK kit :lol: Good luck with your project!

9 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

No worries mate dave thats why we are all here here to help each other out :) 

I have seen what I can only assume are 'early' versions of the tcs without the prong antenna sticking out of the bottom of it though. A bird I have planned features one as such. 

It may be worth checking if the vf32 birds did or the date when that feature came in? As long as its pre 88 then you are good :) 

The one in the dangerzone zone kit doesn't have it obviously (wouldn't cast well in resin anyway) but no mention in the instructions to add it with wire or similar as is normally the case with eduard stuff... 

Sorry for the semi-squiff ramblings ha ha. 

Thanks Tony. This jet appears to be a bit of a mutant, but it appears to have the small antennae.

A bit of work yesterday and today has seen this one done. I went heavy with the weathering to adhere to reference pictures and verbal accounts of the jet at the time. Think it turned out ok. I did add the small antennae to the TCS as mentioned above, but it broke off during final assembly so i've just left it.

fullsizeoutput_bc0_zpshflvqe1r.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bc7_zpsbvhpqyaj.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bcb_zpsu69dypab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bd0_zpspyjamt2e.jpeg

More pictures in RFI  here

Again, can't praise the Tamiya kit highly enough. It is the best fitting kit I've ever built. Thanks to all who commented/followed.

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks Bill. That makes 18 now, although 3 have met a somewhat premature end!

I've plans for the following:

F-14A - VF-21

F-14A - VF-1

F-14A - VF-154 (OIF last cruise)

F-14A - VX-4

F-14A - VF-31

F-14A - VF-211 (Last Cruise)

F-14B - VF-102 (OEF last cruise)

F-14B - VF-74

F-14B - VF-11

F-14B - VF-103 (Santa Cat)

F-14B - VF-103