1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat, VF-32. Finished 25/1

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here is my second  Tamiya F-14A, this time in the markings of VF-32 'Swordsmen' during the 'second Gulf of Sidra incident' in January 1989, whereby 2 Libyan Mig-23s were downed by a pair of F-14s. I'll be marking the model as A/C 207, BuNo 159610, which downed one of the Migs with an AIM-9. After the cruise, this jet was then re-manufacured as an F-14D (R) and served with VF-31 right up until retirement in 2006. The jet is on display in the Udvar Hazy centre at Dulles International airport. I had the privilege of seeing it in the flesh a few years ago: 

DSC01654_zpskwxli7qx.jpg

Kit:

IMG_2089_zpsrekakh6z.jpg

IMG_2090_zps3o2q546q.jpg

Extras:

IMG_2091_zpsrlhz250b.jpg

Will be using Quickboost seats, Steel Beach tail stiffeners, Fightertown decals, a resin TCS (thanks Tony!) and Furball decals for the AIM-54's. The reason for the later being that the AIM-54C began replacing the AIM-54A from 1986 and the Tamiya kit only has stencils for the AIM-54A.

As always, the trusty, well worn reference material:

IMG_2092_zpspqbwdx7y.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

Doing a bit of research on this one and just noticed that the gun vent on both A/C 202 and 207 was the earlier style with 7 individual vents. Luckily, Steel Beach have said vent as a resin piece so I've a set on the way. 

You can see the vent in the below picture of A/C 207 after it returned from the cruise, had a re-paint and the Mig stencil removed (taken from the net):

sidra-6-Gypsy-207-an-F-14A-Tomcat-from-V

Made a start this morning. Wing sweep mechanism and upper fuselage first:

IMG_2116_zpsxrcehijs.jpg

IMG_2115_zps4lz3rtcx.jpg

No issues this time with the join!

IMG_2117_zpsaqksfgwf.jpg

Lower fuselage with intake ramps fitted and wheel bays sprayed:

IMG_2118_zpsktp9pv6x.jpg

Intakes:

IMG_2119_zpsetdabwra.jpg

Missiles:

IMG_2120_zpsm9bkt76v.jpg

Pylons and fuel tanks:

IMG_2122_zpsyndmpfbu.jpg

Wings, fins and stabilisers:

IMG_2123_zpskqcqf5gp.jpg

Upper and lower fuselage halves closed:

IMG_2125_zpsz6ao6xry.jpg

IMG_2126_zps79b7tmfn.jpg

Everything just falls together. The kit is an absolute joy to build.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

You'll need to sand the 4 bumps around the body off of the 54's to turn the A's into C's. 

I guess Tamiya made that bit seperate on the missiles to allow them to do C's in the future 👍🏿

Good shout Tony, I'd forgotten about that!

• Like 1

More done today. First up, smooth bodies added to the AIM-54's to replicate the C version (thanks for pointing that out Tony!)

IMG_2127_zpskbh4qfkc.jpg

Next, the vinyl stiffeners were added to the tail fins:

fullsizeoutput_b4d_zpswzthilgd.jpeg

Intakes added to the fuselage, along with the exhaust shrouds and beaver tail:

IMG_2130_zpsl102huu6.jpg

IMG_2131_zpsvyqhozfa.jpg

IMG_2132_zpszouokxqh.jpg

Cockpit parts sprayed and ready for detailed painting:

IMG_2133_zpsy7aa6pax.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

Yikes these come along fast! 

Good effort Dave!

PS regards coincidences, just realised the Next bird I'm working on in my saga is the 1991 VF 32 CAG 200 F14A bird in gull grey with insig blue fins (yellow swords) and skunk stripe, wearing the squadrons' mig kills on the nose from yours and its mate a couple years prior...

40 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yikes these come along fast! 

Good effort Dave!

PS regards coincidences, just realised the Next bird I'm working on in my saga is the 1991 VF 32 CAG 200 F14A bird in gull grey with insig blue fins (yellow swords) and skunk stripe, wearing the squadrons' mig kills on the nose from yours and its mate a couple years prior...

Cheers Tony! The kit does just fall together.

That would be a nice scheme, not sure the decals are available in 1/48 though!

41 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Hi Dave, how do you paint the demarcation on the intake ramps?   The aircraft also appears to have not been fitted with the RWR gear?

On the inside Shaun? I've masked them off at about a 40 degree angle from the edge of the intake lip upwards.. It's hard to tell which jets have the straight lines and which have the angled ones.

This jet was not fitted with the RWR bumps, at the point of the cruise it was only retrofitted with the TCS. It's quite unique as a lot of jets at this time had the Block 125 upgrade and the later style, though not the NACA gun vents, whereas this jet had the early style one, with 7 individual vents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Cheers Tony! The kit does just fall together.

That would be a nice scheme, not sure the decals are available in 1/48 though!

Wow that does go together quickly. I think that you might want to look at Furball Decals sheet 4808. I have been trying to find a VF-32 line jet from this period (Gulf War), but in /72nd but with no luck.

Just now, Jabba said:

Wow that does go together quickly. I think that you might want to look at Furball Decals sheet 4808. I have been trying to find a VF-32 line jet from this period (Gulf War), but in /72nd but with no luck.

Cheers, i'll take a look and add it to the list!

VF-1 is next, then most likely VF-31...

More done. First up, the gun vent arrived from Spruebrothers:

IMG_2139_zpskyrciqfd.jpg

Two simple cuts and then fitted:

IMG_2140_zpswlzotkuh.jpg

Casting isn't perfect, so a touch of filler needed. Cockpit was then finished off, ready to be fitted:

IMG_2141_zpskgf0kjsb.jpg

Once that was set, i attached the front and rear fuselage sections, added the Phoenix pallets, fuel tank pylons and the arrester hook housing:

IMG_2142_zps1hqjeabc.jpg

IMG_2143_zpse4c6nlb0.jpg

IMG_2144_zps4h2qqfc1.jpg

Going together well. More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Viper15 said:

Looking good so far, looks like a nice kit.

Cheers. It is a lovely kit!

Progress made. Cockpit frame, IP coamings, windshield and mask all added, along with the antennae behind  the cockpit, TCS and a clean up of the gun vent.

IMG_2158_zps67q19ons.jpg

IMG_2159_zpsfq1lddj2.jpg

IMG_2160_zpsnyjoqg1h.jpg

IMG_2161_zpsdubpnbug.jpg

You'll probably see some masking tape inside the intakes, I haven't forgotten, will be removed once all painting is done. Just need to clean up a few bits on the airframe, mask off all the painted areas then get the painting done.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

Long overdue update, and not a very exciting one at that. Airframe painting is coming along well, just need to remove the masking and paint a few areas their respective colour. In the meantime, the majority of sub assemblies are ready for gloss:

IMG_2433_zpsh4iqly64.jpg

Missiles:

IMG_2432_zpsxnhoppc4.jpg

Not much to show, but progress none the less. Flat out in work the next few days so hoping to have more of an update by the middle of next week.

More soon.

Dave

Sure looks cool, Dave. I think you might have inspired me to get some of those New Ware masks.

I too am building a VF-32, but in the much earlier Bicentennial paint scheme. One of my teachers was an F-4 and F-14 Instructor. He knows Dale "Snort" Snodgrass and Pete "Hollywood" Dishart. Its a test model/ commission project intended for him. Myself, i'm much more interested in VF-41.

Whereabouts in NI do you live?

Cheers,

david

20 hours ago, David H said:

Sure looks cool, Dave. I think you might have inspired me to get some of those New Ware masks.

I too am building a VF-32, but in the much earlier Bicentennial paint scheme. One of my teachers was an F-4 and F-14 Instructor. He knows Dale "Snort" Snodgrass and Pete "Hollywood" Dishart. Its a test model/ commission project intended for him. Myself, i'm much more interested in VF-41.

Whereabouts in NI do you live?

Cheers,

david

Thanks mate. I live in Belfast.

Managed a couple of hours a the 'cat today, nothing major but it's now ready for gloss and then decals. All masking, bar the windshield, has been removed. Still some dry brushing to be done on the exhaust shrouds, but i'll do that once the gloss is on.

IMG_2451_zpsvaew9zvs.jpg

IMG_2452_zpsjhjulb5j.jpg

IMG_2453_zpszyzthtg9.jpg

Note that the wing seal 'bags' and intake lips have been added. Next up is gloss, followed by decals. Will hopefully get this done at the weekend.

Dave

• Like 1