Waffentrager Pak 43 in Eberswalde March 1945

Blaubar

For my BR 52 diorama, i am building 2 trucks this Waffentraeger and later many other vehicles. I want the Waffentrager to be detailed, the second one, which will be largely displayed as a destroyed one, is going to be the ALan one (a very bad and basic kit, but just the right thing to depict a smashed second one. It is not a very common build and I want to work on it again this weekend, had it in the backburner in the last while. Maybe someone on here is also tackling this thing?!

The first steps were to design and add together the bits and pieces I found in my books and magazine, online and on photos.

After a long time, the basic layout was obvious and the main dimensions could be laexed out. As there are no interior plans, some fits inside may have been different, but as for possible research, this is as good as you will be able to pin down the detials inside of the thing. I covered parts of my digital stamp btw.

Amongst others this. Don't want to bore you to death with drawings and designs...

Screenshot_2015-04-14-17-54-27_zpslhrobb

9e7c94a8-d3e0-4f2e-972c-e22dcd8a146b_zps

018aa397-4003-4f82-a5da-2588c219fb35_zps

Careful examination of the only surviving one in Kubinka, the kit needs major changes.

The vehicle will be displayed receiving field repairs on the transmission or so, therefore all hatches need to be open an the interior visible and built.

*1) All real tank pictures taken from Fahrzeuge-der-Wehrmacht.de and ArmourJournal.com, for discuttion only.

Ardelt_Waffentr_Ku_06-1_zpstkgulcrn.jpg

20150530_191048_zpso5a7qxmv.jpg

DSC_6897_zpsv9wccuco.jpeg

DSC_7581_zpspw4ccsbh.jpeg

20150514_140851_zpsqir3mxlq.jpg

Foot pedal spring in place and a weird thing, no clue what it is.... but check in the following photo... (I heated the handle too much, and later redid it witrh lead wirde, so it is now nice and correct again.

20150514_194321_zpspwvxtzoq.jpg

DSC_7567_zpscxsuo5j6.jpeg

Gun20bottom_zpsr6waj5r9.jpg

Gun20left_zpshp4qdggl.jpg

DSC_7543_zps0hp071ve.jpeg

20150415_153407_zpsru7szkbl.jpg

The zig zag brass rod is the pipe which houses the radio lines and connects the driver to the gunner.  It will be visible to the left of the driver, then run right behind him and then zag back to the rear and up through the centre of the gun mounting.

20150520_123712_zpsvstv5dfq.jpg

This is the one to the left of the gun openingin the shiled. The radio line goes/speaker cable goes from the gunner point down to the driver.

WT%20side%20with%20gun_zps0oaqv5vi.jpg

DSC_6902_zpskrl2hncx.jpeg

Adjusting the roof and or floor elevation

20150513_163450_zpsnuoyqewv.jpg

DSC_6906_zps9lglq0vh.jpeg

20150514_012938_zpscswnkfub.jpg

The TRKM engine:

maybach_hl42_zps7kinnmrs.jpg

This one being an earlier prototype:

krupp_ardelt3_zpszegeucvh.jpg

The travel lock needed quite a fe adjustments as it is just too crude and off.

20160604_010815_zpsns7xxbvz.jpg

Some interior stuff, where no photos exist:

The morphing of the seat and driver's area.

20150520_173744_zpst0rbgnsj.jpg

20150520_182948_zpsmis1lhmy.jpg

The battery might be too big and ugly? any ideas? but nothign will be seen of it anway.

20150608_164605_zpsnstgf2en.jpg

20150531_141428_zpsaahl5iao.jpg

The front transmission got smashed (due to meaterial fatigue) and parts of it got hammered into the engine cooling fan protection.

20150611_115545_zpst3zeuuqa.jpg

The engine:

916c6037-4441-41bd-bce6-7b128777786a_zps

20150520_152414_zpsbn8ytcto.jpg

Hl%2042%201_zps59wj76lj.jpg

HL%2042%202_zps8vn5rqsv.jpg

The hull with the engine in place:

20150621_153127_zpsaysjdk4o.jpg

I had begun adding the fuel lines (.15mm silver wire) 

20150625_094545_zpsi2bhfvta.jpg

The fuel tanks and the power generator are the only parts glued into the hull as of now. So if things seem misaligned, well it is because I just put them there for the photos and fitting. The mad wiring for oil controls, telcoms and stuff will all be angled, and inserted later once readily installed, for now they just look shitty, but nothign I can do about it. There are severe problems with Trumpeters ammo rack. it is so bad, I mean utterly useless, you would not even be able to take 3 rounds out of it :D  missing my photos of it, will add them at some point later when discussing it in further detail.

Cheers,

/Stefan

Edited by Blaubar
title name
  • Like 6

Cheers Jim,

stuck with researching the BR-52 atm. Both will go together in a Diorama^^, so plenty to work on and I need to find the 1x2m piece of wood, on which to build it :D. I hope I cann add a little progress tomorrow though, had some ideas about the damn ammo storage.

/Stefan

• 1 month later...

Jim,

I prefer building very few things but as accurate as possible replicas while learning about their history. I did some test fitting with a paper ammo rack.

/Stefan

Francis, there are much better modellers and scratchers out there, I am totally new to this, so it is still a fight for me, but as time goes by, things become easier.  But I am happy with the results so far. I like your M109 a lot btw

!

Photobucket is annoying these days, some pics are lost...

For anynone building a WT, here some measurements and basic layouts.

32244241475_70602bfa9c_c.jpg

32244241405_017c600e63_c.jpg

• Like 2

SThx Francis^^.

Squarehead, 1/72, that will be like torture^^. I am building a WR360 C12 but converting it into a C14 in 1/72, those things are soooo small. Will hopefulyy get some WT work done next week though. Can I have some of your popcorn? I want some, too!

/Stefan

:o those details!!! :wub:

Very impressive so far, I keep getting taken back at some of the work around here and the attention to details and research that goes into each build.  Hopefully one day I might be able to make something 5% as impressive! Subscribed and watching with interest.

Teutonic Error,

you could build many things, or if you do research and go deep into the topic, build only extremely few models in your life...I have finished none so far^^ Many different approaches, so just do what you like and enjoy!!!There is no need to do scratch building if you enjoy assembling kits.

/Stefan

• 4 months later...

The HL 42 TRM engine received some paint, it yet needs much more grease and old tractor oil (both of which I will fetch at a local farm tomorrow): Green, black or blue grease is the question? There were quite a few grease nipples within the drive shaft. I also need to improve the oil stain on the oil tank. (It is shinier in the photo than on the model)

34540562466_c0ae8ec4b0_b.jpg

34540562326_9a761cb734_b.jpg

And for the fun of it, a comparison of a few other engines:

34451270611_db63c43ccd_b.jpg

Enjoy the engines :D or hate them, all are sadly far from being finishedcrying 2 .#

First paint on the hull (new compressor, so the first layer turned out quite bad^^)

33750325844_f7fc6ea83b_b.jpg

More paint

33830639414_00e387f497_b.jpgI

Now need to start bending the wires and oil pipes in order to get the engine in place later on. As of now, it does not fit into the right place as wires need to be trimmed and attached and the whole thing painted before adding the engine for final assembly.

34511218802_07e0354ec2_b.jpg

That's the current build status of the build.

This is the kit I use to learn using my new airbrush, C&Cs welcome.

Have a good day all.

/Stefan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

What a mess!!!, I would go a little crazy, but it will look great, nice progress for now...:popcorn:, cheers mate :D

Haha,

messy it is indeed. Sorted the cables and painted the interior. Need to fix the ammo storage now, then I can put the hull together. As I was waiting for months about which airbrush and stuff to purchase, many kits and projects have piled up... Now I got quite a few to finish.

2 hours ago, Cromwell said:

Nice build   Some wicked scratching going on here

Thx man. This s just a superb kit, so easy to work with, truly amazing and the SKP model engine is also superb!

I put Obergefreiten Schulz on there to have a look, the gun is so huge. 

34547773381_95e82221f2_b.jpg

Prost.

have a good one.

• Like 3

I had painted the hull with hydraulics grease and tractor oil, as the transmission fo the vehicle got smashed, lots of it leaked into the front hull and oil is leaking from the rushed and speedily integrated engine and pipes, mind that over the course of a few days parts were driven by motorbike couriers to finish and assemble the vehicle! Ardelt was furious that his regular supplies did not arrive on time (that was in early February 1945 btw...):lalala: The  Sp.Pz.Wg. aka Schinenpanzer 204 (f) sitting beside the WT. 

34656070966_038db6322e_b.jpg

34579205881_c806ccae9e_b.jpg

And from the front

34710012995_2c9cc67318_b.jpg

I have continued my general research for my dio... As is known, Ardelt, the WT engineer died on his machine in Eberswalde, while defending it in 1945. Supplies for the production of his Waffenträger did not arrive on time and so he sent off motorbike couriers to find parts for his tanks all over the Reich. Production was rushed and as such, I am having the vehicle depicted with an oil leak (therefore the oily floor) and the transmission broke down. I used hydraulics grease and old tractor oil (collected it last week from an oil change of a tractor of a friend whom I asked to hand me over some old oil <-- his view was amazing^^).

Panzer-Abteilung (Fkl.) 303, renamed into Panzerabteilung Döberitz in February '45 and attached to Panzerdivision Schlesien (Panzer IVs) were stationed around Belin and later especially in  Eberswalde in late February/March. The 303 consisted of StuGs, Döberitz and Schlesien consisted of Panzer IVs and Jpz IV/70s. All this hazzle was between Feb 20 and Feb 28 and thereafter... So Including the BR52, the Waffenträger (produced in and defending Eberswalde), the Panzer IV H (late) will all go into my dio and will represent historically accurate depiction. As Borgward IV Ausf. Cs were also attached to the 303, I will add mine to it, too. The six or seven Waffenträger that had been produced until then were ordered into battle as "Panzerjäger-Alarmkompanie Eberswalde"

Let me know what you thnk of this or any further "news"

/Stefan.

• Like 2

When I see the interiors of the vehicles, I am surprised by the little space that exists for the crew, it is incredible, that under situations of combat and real danger of death, they could develop successfully ...:popcorn:

Cheers Stefan :D

Only one driver needs to fit in there, the rest was on top towards the rear, nothing inside the hull. The Panhard / Sp.Pz.Wg. on the other hand  had a crew of 4 😂... Not nice inside there I assume

Blaubar, this is another absolutely magnificent build. Your detailing really scares me as I will never reach that level of detail but I really enjoy what you are doing, gobsmackingly amazing my friend :yes:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

Blaubar, this is another absolutely magnificent build. Your detailing really scares me as I will never reach that level of detail but I really enjoy what you are doing, gobsmackingly amazing my friend :yes:

Lol, take a mirror, look at your models... nothing to be afraid of :D I have never weatherd or painted anythiing before :D so lots to laugh about as I go on.

• Like 1