Italeri 1:48 Wessex Cyprus - finished!

Caerbannog

Hi all,

I will enter the Italeri Wessex kit and plan to build it as the Cypress based machine included in the kit decals:

BM

The kit is completely unstarted and the Xtra Decal Sheet which I bought to replace some of the too small kit decals is completely out of my sight. I hope to find it by the decaling stage. Well... knowing my current buid speed I hope to even reach the decaling stage...

I hope to start the kit the next days. I am not sure yet if I can pull myself together and build this mostly OOB or if I will make any corrections (panel lines, seats, ... I think there are lots of minor mistakes in this kit).

Rene

Edited by Caerbannog
Pics moved from Photobucket to Flickr.

Hi Rene. Go for out of the box, forget about the inaccuracies. As Hendy said, too numerous to mention.. Re the panel lines, they deffer between types, so not to worry too much.

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks. I finally started (pics will follow soon) and decided to go OOB. After I put some masking tape, wires and sheet styrene in the box ;-)

One thing I realized is that the provided markings (serials) for the Cyprus machine belong to a HC.2. So I really need to do something about the decals - but this will have a few weeks time.

René

Just go for it,......I built mine out of the box and just used some Xtradecal serials and titles which are better than the kit ones. Xtradecal have a Wessex decal sheet too;

wessex%204_zpsdsrlog8f.jpg

Looking forward to seeing yours finished,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Wow-nice Wessex Tony!

I have a few questions regarding the colours. Am I correct that the interior is Dark Admirailty Grey (Humbrol 5 with a flat clear cote for example)? And the two tone camouflage is Dark Green (Humbrol 149?) and Dark Sea Grey (Humbrol 164) over black? I am still burned by a Hurricane build where I picted the wrong tin and went into a bit of trouble so I like to check in time :-)

Edit: All interior areas appear to be grey- except the area behind the cockpit (the "gearhousing"?) which is a strange mid green-khaki colour on the photos I found. What colour is this? Is it any British Standard colour? I mean on the UH 5 - other versions seem to be grey.

René

Hiya Rene,.....yes those are the colours that I used with Azure Blue for the band. Although some of the Akrotiri Wessex roled for SAR had a green rubber floor which edged up the walls in order to curb corrosion from sea water..  One of the rotor blades was usually yellow on the top and bottom to aid while cliff flying and winching onto ships.

Glad you liked mine and I hope that it gave you a bit of insiration to just go for it out of the box,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Tony! I like the yellow rotor blade.

Here is what I did over the weekend. I decided to add a tiny little bit of details only after deciding against closing the side door.As little can be seen of the starboard side interiour once the fuselage is closed I completely keep this side OOB. I just added a few details on the port side.

The seats received a little update too, ignoring the number. I was thinking about building seats from scratch but decided to keep it simple. Maybe I will fill the emty space between seats and firewall (?) with some cargo from the spare box.

BM

BM

This is what I have at the moment:

BM

Rene

Pardon my spelling...  :wall:

• Like 4

Looking good and vast improvement with masking tape seat backs.The kit parts depict the US pattern and not those supplied by Westlands. Jusst one point to note, the gap in the row of seats also didn't exist in the UK Wessex.

Colin

• Like 1

18 hours ago, heloman1 said:

(...) the gap in the row of seats also didn't exist in the UK Wessex. (...)

Thanks for pointing out - I guess I will live with it. It is not a too difficult task to scratch the entire seats but I am a bit lazy at the moment and whats more - this is another busy week so not much time anyway.

René

Very nice progress so far and those seats are a huge improvement on the kit items. I think the green for the fabric is loosely similar to interior green (Hu 78?) but the shade is a bit off due to it being fabric and it would be quite bleached from the sun in that cockpit. I normally just do the green and weather the hind legs off it!

Keep up the good work!

Bob

Tadda - post #3000 and to properly celebrate this I make this the first post that I qoute myself:

twice actually...

On 16.11.2016 at 4:26 PM, Caerbannog said:

(...)

I am not sure yet if I can pull myself together and build this mostly OOB or if I will make any corrections (panel lines, seats, ... I think there are lots of minor mistakes in this kit).

Rene

On 22.11.2016 at 0:56 PM, Caerbannog said:

(...) It is not a too difficult task to scratch the entire seats but I am a bit lazy at the moment and whats more - this is another busy week so not much time anyway.

René

Now what else can I say... Better nothing - as I will contradict my self in no time. OOB is just no option unless someone starts an OOB Group Build :shutup:

So look what I started:

BM

The aluminum foil is the self adheasive type that comes on a roll. Really versatile stuff that sticks well to almost everthing and is thick enough to be embossed or shaped but thin enough to conform round surfaces etc. First time I encountered this stuff was about 20 years ago when I bought a Morris Minor Traveller for restoration - one of the former owners put this tape on the completely rusted door sills and applied a ton of Bondo over this. With his abilities he could have easily done a proper job...

I just need to cut some (20) more thin stripes and attach them to the seat backs and the upper horizontal bar. Then some paint and it should be a simple but vast improvement over the kit part. Even though I made some new mistakes. The bottom fabric of the seats and the position of the supports are not 100% correct. Not easy to find good reference pictures.

I did not correct the seats on the port side - another provisional closing of the fuselage halfs showed me that there is really not much to be seen of the port inside, so I keep this at least as per kit - even if not correct.

I really try to pull myself together as I have little interest in another heap of plastic on my shelf of doom. One KUTA per year is not enough for me.

Apart of that just a bit of detail painting.

Rene

• Like 1

Looks like we had the same plans for the weekend lol! I know what you mean about references, I spent ages scouring everywhere I could think and came up with a very poor amount of information, and the ones I did get showed different configurations and colours! So I opted for your strategy and just made most of it up! Those seats really do look nice!

Bob

• Like 1

So - I not only found my Xtra Decals I also completed the interior and shut the fuselage over the weekend.

BM

BM

Closing the fuselage involved lots of tape and clamps. Some seams were glued in sections to get a reasonable joint. Still there is some filling and sanding lying ahead.

BM

It now really shows how difficult it is to see the interior. But it also shows that what can be seen is the wrong seating on the port side if this is not corrected:

BM

René

• Like 5

Thanks. Nothing major since - just snading and rescribing. Went better than I thought. More progress after the weekend I guess.

One question regarding the yellow painted rotor blade. I cannot make it out on the pics of the Cyprus Wessex pics. Is there some kind of rule as to which machines this mod was applied and when? This yellow blade really looks nice but I fear it was not applied to the camo Wessex with Union Jack on the front. Any ideas?

René