Dmold Phantom intakes

Bozothenutter

Air Force and Navy Phantoms have different engine faces/bullets, and which kit would it be for? XMM make a C/D specific set for the Academy kits with the correct Air Force engine face, while DMold only makes differing sets for the Hasegawa kits. DMold specify the Air Force set for the E/F/G though, not sure if it will fit the C/D kit as well.

Edit: I've just seen that you work on the old Hasegawa C/D kit (raised panel lines, right?) and I think there neither DMold nor XMM make sets for this kit. Hasegawa significantly changed the fuselage shape when they upgraded(updated their Phantom family (a B wing will not fit a J fuselage for instance). Perhaps try the Dmold E/F/G intakes and adjust as necessary.

Cheers

J

The intakes in the Hasegawa F-4D and F-4E kits are different shapes along the bottom edge, therefore I would suggest that any fit is going to require a substantial amount of alteration if it can be done at all.

I notice that the D and RF boxings both have the intakes on the D sprue, but have different wing sprues, so the DMold RF intakes may be a better solution. 

Just looked at the DMold site and I would suggest the J/S/RF intakes are what you're after. Contact Dimitri and ask if he can swap out the correct compressor faces.

Edited by scotthldr

I've since read your other post regarding your build and I'm not sure if my above answer still stands.  The sprue that you have with the kit intakes on is D and these will have raised lines, however this sprue was later modified to recessed lines and I'm sure they may have altered the way in how the intakes fits onto the fuselage.  I'll check the picture that you posted of the intakes/fuselage against my RF kit tomorrow, but fairly sure that the DMold E/F/G intakes will not fit.

Are you able to post a picture of the fuselage sides and the wing of your kit?

31001873136_d7e4441dcd_c.jpg

Where the front edge of the wing intake flange turns upwards above line "a" this is flush on the later kits, and I think that is how you have the 3mm step on the underneath.

Edited by scotthldr

I looked at my unbuilt  RF-4 kit earlier and the wing is the same shape as yours(looks more pronounced in the picture). Therefore I would still suggest the J/S/RF intakes are the ones you need. I've also looked at both my built up RF-4, F-4J/D and two F-4E's all with DMolds, and I can't see any difference in the compressor faces and in all honesty they're so far back that you really need to shine a torch in there to see anything.