1/72 car door Typhoon

Julien

There's the old Frog one.  Possibly a CMR resin.  There's a Falcon vacform canopy with doors for converting a later example.  

Interrupted by Wooksta - the Usk one was a later variant, I believe.  Just as well, I'd forgotten the Brengun, which is probably your best bet unless you are rich and love resins.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

Of the relatively modern kits, I think your injection options are Brengun and Pavla. Airfix and Academy do bubble canopy versions.

Ben-m's quad build:

Procopius' Brengun build

Links to reviews:

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=4454

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=8550

cheers,

Jason

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Greenshirt said:

I've got all of the above in hand...Brengun is best by far. 

I agree, but be forewarned: the Brengun car-door clear parts simply don't fit without a LOT of work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

the Usk one was a later variant, I believe. 

I don't know if they also did a later variant, but I have an Usk car door Typhoon in the stash. A pretty accurate kit according to reports at the time, which is why I bought it, though it may not stand up so well against more recent releases,

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Heraldcoupe
  • Like 2

The irony is that I may have seen one at Telford over the weekend, as I remember looking at an Aviation USK Typhoon kit whilst rummaging through a box of bagged second hand kits on The Aviation Bookstore stand.  It looked to be early MPM tooling, given the chocolatey colour plastic.

Another vote for Brengun. I bought one of their Typhoons before Airfix had released their 1/72 version. The Brengun kits don't have the fishplate reinforcements around the aft fuselage molded on, they are provided via PE. All the Brengun versions have the parts for all versions though, only different decals. My Brengun kit is now destined to become a car door version instead of a bubbletop.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

The irony is that I may have seen one at Telford over the weekend, as I remember looking at an Aviation USK Typhoon kit whilst rummaging through a box of bagged second hand kits on The Aviation Bookstore stand.  It looked to be early MPM tooling, given the chocolatey colour plastic.

You did

2 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

Another vote for Brengun. I bought one of their Typhoons before Airfix had released their 1/72 version. The Brengun kits don't have the fishplate reinforcements around the aft fuselage molded on, they are provided via PE. All the Brengun versions have the parts for all versions though, only different decals. My Brengun kit is now destined to become a car door version instead of a bubbletop.

I've got both Brengun versions & without digging them out which I can't be bottomed to do. ;) just now, I think I'm right in saying that the BG car door variants have a different fuselage molding that incorporates the subltly different panel lines where the car door was & wasn't in the fuselage. Having said that, I don't reckon its more than a few minutes work to fill the panel lines in a slider fuselage & rescribe them at a slight angle for a car door variant. Apart from the Falcon set with a car door canopy Jays does a replacement canopy for Tempest prototypes which I'd bet my left wotsit is the same as a Typhoon car door canopy.

Steve.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I've got both Brengun versions & without digging them out which I can't be bottomed to do. ;) just now, I think I'm right in saying that the BG car door variants have a different fuselage molding that incorporates the subltly different panel lines where the car door was & wasn't in the fuselage.

Correctamundo!

• Like 1

I think that there is a cheap Hobbyboss kit in their 'easy assemble' range of the car-door Typhoon, reference HB80232.  Might scrub up well...

Thanks Guys, looks like Brengun it is. I have a sheet from Red Roo for the Topical Trails unit ones and quite fancied doing the Car Door one in Dessert colours.

Julien

Fwiw, I'm saving my Brengun kit for a 486 sqn car door Typhoon, I'm keen to do a tropical one too & intend to use the HB one for this, as stated above some rescribing & a new canopy & it should be good to go, plus the Red Roo upgrades of course. Its basically an OK kit as far as capturing the look of the Typhhoon is concerned apart from an exceedingly dodgy bubble top canopy.

Steve.

I've a less favourable view of the Hobbyboss. I basically has the same shape issues as the Academy- engine cowlings are too curved, and added to the too small and point spinner make the nose look quite wrong. Also prop blades shape is not right. Easy fixes for a much better looking Hobby Boss or Academy Typhoon are changing the length and angle of the main gear legs, and the tailwheel: Compare the 4th photo here: http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/10313/Hobby-Boss-Hawker-Typhoon-1B#.WC1g3uaLSxo with the real thing's sit (note angle of gear door lower edges and ground, the location of the wheel hub relative to the gear door,  and the height of the tail): 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Typhoon#/media/File:Hawker_Typhoon_MkIB.jpg

Definitely some work to be done on the U/C looking at those photos, the angle of the nose is less of a bother too me, same with the Academy one, I've seen some nice builds of it. I'd like to think I'd sort the U/C issues as I went as a matter of course. I'm a great believer in comparing the sit of a model with photos to get that right as I go.

Steve.

i have got the very early Typhoon1A by Brengun and it looks ok. Far better than the Frog kit which I built 37 years ago. I built the Pavla kit about three or four years ago. A lot of work to thin the wing trailing edges down and the vacform canopy was an interesting challenge to fit so that looked right.