BR 52 - Kriegsdampflokomotive 1 - 1:35 Kit

Blaubar

Thanks Glynn, I should get some updates out this weekend.

I just noticed that the old Photobucket pictures are all gone... I will try and fix this during the weekend. National holiday on TUE, so Sat-Tue no work. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

Good to see you back building Stefan, certainly is a "labour of love". The Panhard is a nice addition to the build :yes:

Prost,

will see how it continues^^, it's a fun build though, I am learning lots. The Panhard is a great kit, I can highly recommend it.

On 29.9.2017 at 11:58 AM, Bullbasket said:

Sorry Stefan. What I was talking about was the flanges on the main driving wheels, the bits that actually keep the wheels on the line. On a ten coupled loco like the British Standard Class 9, the centre drivers had no flanges on them as it would have made negotiating tight curves difficult and could have lead to derailments.

1922da9d-64fc-44bb-b264-846efdfb6544.jpg

I hope that's clearer.

John.

Darn, I dislike all these Russian numbering stuff, it was tough to find the right wheels (4125-49 ; 4126-49 ; 4127-49 ; 4126-49 ; 4125-49)**, so difficult to find your way around. Yet, basically you will notice that the 3rd drive wheel pair does have a differently flanged profile, and more room to move as there s a smaller and differently slanted edge...

36698843224_d4575516c7_b.jpg

Sorry for this boring update, but this is what John was worried about.

Cheers,

/Stefan

** for all interested, these are the numbers of the axle labelling and in order to have the correct profiles, this is how they are laid out and paired (from left/rear to right/front). The flange proficle of 4125-49 and 4126-49 are the same, as such I used only one of the two profiles to show the difference as compared to 4127-49.

• Like 1

Good day folks,

I had been thinking about the frame again during the weekend and begun sketching the plate frame on .5mm thick styrene. I would need to add another .4mm to arrive at the desired frame thickness. The Trumpeter L-shapes here are 3mm (at the bottom of the frame for stability reasons), which is more than 2mm too wide and thick. Compare the redesigned front and the kit frame. As the general shape of Trumpeter is off, too, I am now inclined to do the whole frame anew. This way, I could easily scrap my disgusting rivets and do it all again.

37490936611_55aebfcf95_b.jpg

And the ugly frame interior, which would be hard to fix now^^

23638698928_32fa8097db_b.jpg

I think I will need to buy more styrene sheets. I hope to finish the frame rather soon...

/Prost

• Like 3

Finally some progress:

Styrene arrived and the frame analysis has revealed yet some more interesting findings.

The first draft of the frame on .5mm styrene, with some cuts already made. Quite messy with all these numbers and bolts.

36862910093_b672445966_h.jpg

More reasons why a frame redesign makes sense:

1) The brakes and their attachment points are not symmetrical, but rather offset from the centre of the length between two wheelsets (see red and blue lines and circles) and the green vertical divisor (The kit got this feature quite well, but the attachment bolts are too close to the top of the frame). <- I had not noticed this asymmetry previously, so it is new to me^^.

2) The middle drive wheel does have a wider and higher fitting to allow for movement (yellow circles). 

3) Old but still there is no bumper between axle 3 and 4 (blue arrows), the kit has it between 2 and 3.

4) Compared to the lowest level of the frame (long light blue horizontal line), the whole frame is asymmetrical and not the same between each pair of axles and drive wheels as is the kit. Radius and distances vary - without a measuring stick and a lot of time at hand, no person will ever notice this, however.

All other faults had been discussed in detail beforehand.

37273859410_0242f20ec4_h.jpg

Have a good one.

/Stefan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers David, 

welcome aboard here.

more drawing and measuring, but some minor progress was achieved. I figured out the right plumbing for all the steam, heating and air pressure pipes. I am colouring them currently, so that future modellers will easily be able to replicate the right order and shapes. 

/Stefan

• Like 1

Cheers Stix. Well, it takes time, and there is no pressure to finish this or next year^^.

Actually here they are..

All coloured pipes are exterior pipes, i.e. not hidden underneath the boiler (Only exception is the steam intake to the compressor on the fourth picture - it is exteral on some and internal on those one with added anti-freeze features)

The basic steam pipe layout:

37221285404_3accbde2a8_h.jpg

24079547788_830a822557_h.jpg

The heating system, powered by and with steam.

37221286654_1816030c69_h.jpg

Air pressure system:

37221286084_d680e19bdc_h.jpg

The new frame parts, both .9mm thick not. I am still not finished shaping them, but they are getting there. I predrilled, if I remember correctly, 249 holes in the first one for the bolts...37620088481_17ecab9ac1_h.jpg

Cheers,

/Stefan

Edited by Blaubar
  • Like 6

Prost Steve and Julian.

Etienne, I do neither have the money nor the space for a 1:1 thing, though it would be awesome.

But along the way I have drafted most parts in 1:16 already on paper... will be approx 170cm long and weigh quite many Kilogramms, but that's in a few years...^^ 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hewy said:

A true labour of love stefan,impressive attention to  intricate detail

Glynn 

Prost mate. It has indeed become sth special after all this time...

More after my return from Berlin on Sunday 

On 28/10/2017 at 10:16 AM, Blaubar said:

Prost Steve and Julian.

Etienne, I do neither have the money nor the space for a 1:1 thing, though it would be awesome.

But along the way I have drafted most parts in 1:16 already on paper... will be approx 170cm long and weigh quite many Kilogramms, but that's in a few years...^^ 

Hello, I can imagine 1:1 is inaccessible ... but when I was a kid, I was always very impressed by full size steam locomotives and also by live steam scale models !!

However, a 1:16 scale model would be a very nice project, even more detailed than in 1:35 ?

E

Edited by Etienne

On 2.11.2017 at 8:19 AM, Etienne said:

Hello, I can imagine 1:1 is inaccessible ... but when I was a kid, I was always very impressed by full size steam locomotives and also by live steam scale models !!

However, a 1:16 scale model would be a very nice project, even more detailed than in 1:35 ?

E

As said, I got the basic plans drafted. I think in 2020 I will go for the 1:16 one. I need to stockpile at least 500Euros worth of Styrene, bolts, nuts, brass pipes and wires.:D And so much TIME!

The frame interior and new frame design is getting on rather slowly. Still waiting for the 500+ bolts and rivets...

38289928331_caac91fe02_h.jpg

Have a good evening

/Stefan

• Like 3

That's an insane level of research!  I have the kit in my deep stash with the Eduard BigEd set, and couldn't hope to replicate what you're doing... I can't even understand some of it! :blush::dunce:

• Like 1

On 09/11/2017 at 7:08 PM, Blaubar said:

As said, I got the basic plans drafted. I think in 2020 I will go for the 1:16 one. I need to stockpile at least 500Euros worth of Styrene, bolts, nuts, brass pipes and wires.:D And so much TIME!

The frame interior and new frame design is getting on rather slowly. Still waiting for the 500+ bolts and rivets...

Wouhaou ... after rivets counting, you're ready for some rivets hoarding !!

I have to admit that I won't have enough patience to launch such a projet :huh:

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1

On 9.11.2017 at 9:18 PM, Devcon 1 said:

Wow. What a labour of love... the pleasure really is in the building.  

Cheers, it is a have-love relationship, we almost got divorced a week ago^^.

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Fascinating stuff!! :popcorn::popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thx mate. Can I have some popcorn, too please?

5 hours ago, Mike said:

That's an insane level of research!  I have the kit in my deep stash with the Eduard BigEd set, and couldn't hope to replicate what you're doing... I can't even understand some of it! :blush::dunce:

Mike, I think the stock kit is good already, but I got dragged away into this real deal thing, now it is just insane, but it is fun and I have learned lots. Well, I do not understand most of it either, it's all in Russian :D

4 hours ago, Etienne said:

Wouhaou ... after rivets counting, you're ready for some rivets hoarding !!

I have to admit that I won't have enough patience to launch such a projet :huh:

Cheers, E

Well, launching is always easy, finishing is the other one. I am good at the first, but a faillord at the latter... :D

Cutting more styrene and drafting new parts for the lower frame rear. Btw for the 1/16 I need 1.8mm thick styrene sheets for the frame. I think that thing will weigh many kilograms...

/Stefan

• Like 1