Paint Question

The Floyd

Guys I'm completely new to model building. I'm about to start building the Revell 1:144 scale Boeing 747 and have downloaded the instructions manual. I've bought all the paint required but my question is this. In the instructions in the paint section it seems to suggest some paints have to be mixed ie 80% and 20% for the "E" colour which is Steel Metallic and Rust Matt. Is this correct or are the colours blended in some way while airbrushing. Any quid ace would be very appreciated. 

Kev.

Hi kev, the paints would be mixed together before painting (either by brush or airbrush) 

I imagine that combo is for a burnt iron type colour for the rear of the engines? I have found a lot of recommended revell colors are mixed as they dont have a wide range. 

• Like 1

As Tony says, Revell only have about 88 colours in their whole range.

To make colour E according to the instructions you describe, you need to pour 4 parts of Steel Metallic and 1 part Rust Matt into a pot of some sort and thoroughly mix them together before applying to your model.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like a mix for some exhaust pipes in which case you won't need much. Having got all scientific with pipettes etc & decided they were a lot of pfaffing around, I now do it by the paint brush dip, in your case you'll only need a small (00) brush, one dip of the rust & 4 dips of steel., try to get the same size dip each time & in my experience its close enough for most jobs, if I need to do a remix for touch ups, by using this method there is little or no difference in shade if I'm careful, even using a smaller size brush for the touch up mix. A bigger mix needed, use a bigger brush. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
spelling. :(
  • Like 2