DH.83 Fox Moth (1/72 Aeropoxy) ++ Finished ++

CliffB

I started this cutie as part of last year's Non Injection Moulded Group Build but unfortunately it was a non-finisher.

This is what it looked like when I last posted.

P1090319_zpszdy0yk7r.jpg

And this is what it looks like today

P1100015_zpsr3guqbos.jpg

As you can see, the build has actually gone backwards :(.  As things stood, I wasn't happy with the shape of the fairing behind the canopy (it was too dumpy), so I re-shaped it to give a much finer profile towards the rear.

I destroyed the canopy in the process, but fortunately the kit provides a spare.

Cheers,  Cliff

• Like 5

13 hours ago, BritJet said:

Good luck with it this time.

My photos of a couple of Foxes are here - hope they are of use.

Steve

Thanks Steve (particularly for the photos link).  I'm confident of completion this time round!

12 hours ago, Grandboof said:

This will be worth watching Good Luck 

Martin H

Thanks Martin, I reckon that the tricky bits are pretty much done now.  We shall see!

Cliff

Time for another update, showing the new canopy and the undercarriage in place.

P1100033_zpsp7fel3su.jpg

P1100034_zpscxvl4aoy.jpg

Just a few minor bits to prepare (prop, wheels etc.), and then it will be time for priming.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your comments :)

Still moving forward (albeit slowly), with first coat of primer now on.

P1100072_zpsry9gmgia.jpg

Up close, there are several areas that still require attention but that is expected - at least on my builds :winkgrin:.

The kit includes a set of resin struts which appear to be quite usuable with care, but I will probably use some brass Strutz instead.

Cliff

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Grandboof.  I'll be finishing the model as a blue, Yugoslav aircraft (as used by the airline Aeroput in the 1930s).  It's one of the kit's decal options.

Fox-Moth-Decals_zpsa1p8sj6c.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

With Christmas out of the way I've managed to spend a little time with the Fox Moth, adding a few extra items such as struts and control horns.

P1100083_zps862baoua.jpg

I made the struts using plastic rod (rather than aerofoil section), and as a consequence they do look slightly overscale.  The structure is nice and sturdy though and is much less noticeable when the upper wing is in place!

P1100084_zpshofumyuo.jpg

I'm hoping to get some colour on tomorrow :).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

Thank you for the comments and 'likes' everyone :)

19 hours ago, Whirly said:

Which paint did you use to achieve such a smooth silver doped finish?

Whirly, I've used Games Workshop 'Mithril Silver' for the wings (it's an acrylic paint).  I find that it sprays very nicely, thinned with Tamiya thinners.  When I've finished applying the decals, I will overcoat with a satin varnish which will nicely reduce the metallic shine.

The Fox Moth is now looking much more colourful...

P1100089_zpsvlvpscjo.jpg

The blue is much lighter and brighter than I was expecting from the kit's colour artwork.  I've used the recommended Hu25 though and it may darken a bit when varnished. In any case, bright is good to my eyes :winkgrin:!

Cliff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Col. said:

What a lovely colourscheme B)

Thanks Col., it's  starting to look even better now, with decals on :D

P1100091_zpsaajvmbsj.jpg

P1100092_zpsvjqego84.jpg

As you can, the fuselage is currently very glossy.  It doesn't look particularly realistic like this, but in the flesh does look pretty striking.  I'm still in two minds whether or not to overspray it with a satin clear coat.  I'll sleep on it tonight!

Next job then will be to tidy up the cabin window apertures and glaze with Kristal Klear.  The holes are just about small enough for this (at least they were when I did some trials at the start of the build...).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Thanks Col., it's  starting to look even better now, with decals on :D

As you can, the fuselage is currently very glossy.  It doesn't look particularly realistic like this, but in the flesh does look pretty striking.  I'm still in two minds whether or not to overspray it with a satin clear coat.  I'll sleep on it tonight!

Yes it most certainly does :wub: 

Perhaps a little light weathering is all that's required to take the edge off the fuselage gloss. Or perhaps restrain the satin clear for the fabric areas?

• Like 1