1:72 Airfix Mk1 Hurricane with Alley Cat "tin wing" conversion

Brandy

Thanks Steve, Jake.  

I have now masked and sprayed the dark earth....It took all day as I really didn't want to risk oily marks and feathery lines so I attached masking tape, drew the outline, then removed it, cut it, and reapplied it. I'm in the pub having a beer right now, but I'll take some pics in the morning, hopefully showing a clean, nicely marked out camo scheme!

Ian

• Like 2

Well, I couldn't resist removing the masking once I got home, of course! Not too displeased, but there are a lot of white spots along the the join lines where the tape has removed the green. Some touching up is called for tomorrow, methinks!

32507254624_ccf12c7ab2_k.jpg

32507253264_71a341b10c_k.jpg

32507251304_a94b86d3ed_k.jpg

The other thing that's bothering me, is why do I have marks on the underside from the tape? I waited over  a week before masking it. How can I stop this happening in future, and what is the best way of getting rid of it?

33309501236_1af5dc09cb_k.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 5

Best way to protect the paint from tape marks like you had on the underside is with a quick and thin layer of glosscoat.

That works wonders for me.

Also, if you gloss coat on top of the tape marks, they usually disappear!

Darn good looking Hurricane!

• Like 3

Very nice camo Ian, that beer was well deserved!

What sort of tape are you using? It may be that it leaves a residue - I stick to Tamiya for fine lines but use cheap 'decorators' tape for filling in. I'm not sure I look that hard for marks but, as Christer says, the top coat will probably cover it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice camo Ian, that beer was well deserved!

What sort of tape are you using? It may be that it leaves a residue - I stick to Tamiya for fine lines but use cheap 'decorators' tape for filling in. I'm not sure I look that hard for marks but, as Christer says, the top coat will probably cover it.

Ced, it's all Tamiya tape, which is why it surprised me - I've not seen that before!

If it disappears under a gloss coat all will be well....still a little annoyed at all the touch ups that are needed though....oh well!

Ian 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Ced, it's all Tamiya tape, which is why it surprised me - I've not seen that before!

Me neither, except some bits that I left stuck to the cutting mat for a week (or so) and then had trouble peeling them off; the glue seemed to have gone 'gel like'. Odd.

Tamiya tape is horrible to remove when it's been stuck to a surface for a while. I'm always struggling to peel it off of my desk, but my girlfriend does have a habit of burnishing it on the desk with the back of my scalpel handle when she's doing her models. I have witnessed her do it so I know who the culprit is. Naughty Hayley

• Like 3

The tape was only on there for a few hours, I masked, sprayed, and removed it all in one day......

Ian

edit:

Wrong! I was thinking about the upper surfaces...the undersides were indeed masked for a couple of days, so that may be the reason....

Edited by limeypilot

Hi Ian, that's a shame about the tape! It does look like it will go after a gloss, Matt and weather but if you're really worried you could give it a gentle micromesh?

the rest of the paint work looks great, really smooth. And as for the wing conversion you appear to have had the same issues I have had with all 4 of my mki hurricane builds, it's a really nice kit but the wing can be a bit of a pain in my opinion.... only a bit mind and it's very much fixable 

Rob

• Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 11:54 PM, Christer A said:

Best way to protect the paint from tape marks like you had on the underside is with a quick and thin layer of glosscoat.

That works wonders for me.

Also, if you gloss coat on top of the tape marks, they usually disappear!

Darn good looking Hurricane!

Thanks Christer, and as you said, the marks did disappear! 

The gloss coat has been on for a couple of days now so I spent this afternoon adding the decals. I used the Microscale fuselage codes, although they are a little short. The reason being, the sheet comes with a "P", which I needed, so rather than have two letters the correct length and one short, I elected to have them all slightly short. The tail number is the "N" from the Microscale sheet (unfortunately not quite as bold as the rest but not too noticeable) and numbers from the Pegasus RAF/RNAS WWI codes sheet. This is the first time I've used new Airfix decals...they're pretty robust, that's for sure, but they don't want to conform to curves (the gun muzzle covers) or sit down over raised detail (under wing roundels) I've given them a 3rd coat of Microsol to see if I can get them to sit down over the underwing detail, but they may need more!

Anyway, a good afternoon's work, I'm happy with it!

33442993235_fc96a4bb06_k.jpg

33442994775_b11dee215e_k.jpg

]33442996845_464fa881ca_k.jpg

I just had a thought....should the w/t bonding decals be on the underwing surfaces on the metal winged aircraft?

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 7

Nice one Dave.  I too remember that photo - from my dim and distance yoof.  I think it may have been reproduced in the old Bruce Robertson/Gerald Scarborough book from the mid 70's on building the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane (although I may be wrong).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Nice one Dave.  I too remember that photo - from my dim and distance yoof.  I think it may have been reproduced in the old Bruce Robertson/Gerald Scarborough book from the mid 70's on building the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane (although I may be wrong).

Two photo's on page 31, but not the one above, they're in the link though. Maintrack did a conversion kit for it in 1/72.

• 2 weeks later...

I very nearly messed this one up royally....I wanted to highlight the removable panels/control surfaces, so I used a Modelmaster Acrylic wash. When I tried to remove the excess, it would NOT come off and I was left with dark areas along the panel edges. Fortunately after much scrubbing with cotton buds most of it did come off, although I still have some dark smudges around the wing roots and tail surfaces where I couldn't get at it properly. 

Next up was to start adding some of the details. First were the fore and aft supports for the wheel well skins, and the radiator supports. Then the lights, and the undercarriage.

33486055811_2603207afe_k.jpg

I have made up some brake lines from thin copper wire and will paint those tomorrow before adding them:

33458459552_ea57951bd2_k.jpg

yes, they are there!

I may try some pastels on the upper surfaces to see how that looks, if I don't like it. it won't get any weathering - the same as all my other models!

Ian

• Like 5

Bad luck with that wash Ian, even with the gloss coat. I have to admit that washes scare me a bit :shutup:

Very nice detailing, I had to check the scale again!

• Like 1

Thanks to Ced and Rob, slow and steady...

More progress today and getting much closer to the RFI stage.....

First up, for some reason I didn't check the fit of the exhausts......I should have, before painting! After realising how bad the fit was, I had to employ a scalpel to enlarge the cutouts on the nose. The first side went well,

33591616976_48777b7817_z.jpg

but the second left me with exactly what I didn't want...a large scrape across the paintwork!

33591616466_1f26ca5c23_k.jpg

I think I managed to save it, although I'd rather not have had to!

33591615906_668b0f44e2_z.jpg

Then it was on to the final details: fit the prop, add the rear view mirror, canopy handles, and canopy......

33591615446_b3eb0e47c1_k.jpg

33591617876_4417746d7f_k.jpg

33591619576_c0ee84fb57_k.jpg

There are still the pilot's step, radio aerial, and exhaust stains to add, and maybe a little weathering...but it's close to an RFI post!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 4

Wow... now that's what I call detailing! Great work on the canopy, handles and mirror Ian.

Good save on the scratch too - these things happen.

Looking forward to the RFI :) 

• Like 1