Modern tank crew seats

solowing666

Greetings, folks.

For some time I have been wondering about the ergonomic aspects of tank crews so I started a search on the net and came up with these:

wpid-76134_en_image_2_1_h_zpsmjuvef5n.jp

an illustration of Abrams crews inside the tank,

m1a1-abrams-main-battle-tank-inline-1-pa

driver and commander looking out of their hatches, and

10414474t2_zpsqq1xniap.jpg

an illustration from Rye Field Models, their Abrams kit with interior.

What I want to ask is how the driver and commander rise up from their seat inside the tank like the second photo?

Do the seats rise? Does the commander just step his boot on the seat? and can they still operate the controls (especially the driver)?

Thank you for the information, ;)

• 2 months later...

The seats raise, but not enough to see out of the turret, so we just stand on the seats.

The driver's seat does rise enough to see out of his hatch if it's open, but usually (basically any time other than driving in the motor pool) the driver's hatch is closed.

Edited by crushkill
  • Like 1

I missed part of your question... the commander (at least in the M2/M3 Bradley) can't reach the controls while standing - at least not with enough eyesight do to anything worth doing, though in the older variants (A2/ODS and earlier) he could stand and control.  I'm pretty sure it's the same situation in the Abrams, except that at no point could the TC utilize his controls while standing.

Generally speaking we only stand when:

A: security of the situation allows it i.e. Stateside or talking to a Soldier on the ground

B: The situation demands it - the gunners sights are damaged and it's necessary to line up the barrel with a target and be able to adjust fire accordingly.

There are lots of pictures from Iraq of TC's and loaders standing up mainly because it is incredibly hot in the vehicle and the situation was relatively secure.  In combat, the commander, short of an emergency, would be dropped down with hatch closed.

Hope that helps, PM if you need more information, I have tons.

• Like 2