IKE today - guess the squadron

FIGHTS ON

For those enjoying the commute to work today in the wet, cold of the UK, here's a picture of my ride to work today

IMG_0666.jpg

and yes, it was sunny, warm and a thoroughly enjoyable experience (I'll NEVER complain again about a bumpy Ryan Air landing again!)

So for the US Navy spotters out there guess the squadron:

IMG_0662.jpg

the clue is the aircraft's name (painted on one wing) : "RAM CAT"

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FIGHTS ON said:

For those enjoying the commute to work today in the wet, cold of the UK, here's a picture of my ride to work today

IMG_0666.jpg

and yes, it was sunny, warm and a thoroughly enjoyable experience (I'll NEVER complain again about a bumpy Ryan Air landing again!)

So for the US Navy spotters out there guess the squadron:

IMG_0662.jpg

the clue is the aircraft's name (painted on one wing) : "RAM CAT"

VFA-131 'Wildcats'

Mark

no flies on you!!!

apparently "borrowed" from VFA-83 Rampagers, to be returned at end of deployment by VFA-131 (the ONLY legacy Hornet sqn embarked).

I do have some more phots, although I was onboard to work!!! - I should have some more phots to upload tomorrow if interested (persuaded a USN Phot who accompanied us up on deck for the mandatory "visitors to witness lauch from up close) to take some better pictures than I ever would - and he has given me a disc!)

Number of Brits serving onboard - both flying and working bl**dy long hours on the deck re-learning the skills that the RN once had.

IMG_0665_2.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

remaining within the bounds of OPSEC - I can say that the ship was busy again today, a lot of "heavy" launches and "not so heavy" recoveries. Jets ALL looking well used, 5 months into the current deployment. If you ever feel that you have over done the weathering on a USN jet, I can assure you that you are only half way there! Corrosive control and touch ups don't remain even in colour under the hot Gulf sun.

• Like 6

Very interesting sqn badge that has combines the VFA-83 Rampagers with the Wildcats of VFA-131.

Sounds like life on the Ike is a blast and your view from the office and the weather certainly beats Blighty in November!

Mark

there are a number of Brits working on board (saw at least 1 yellow shirt directing jets on the deck)  -  must be a fine balance between working in such a thrilling environment and the fact that "that" Navy doesn't do beer at sea :(