Mig 29 down off Kuznetzov.

bentwaters81tfw

"Aircraft is thought to have suffered mechanical problems when crashing"

It's insights like this that one just doesn't get from less professional news outlets.

• Like 13

depends really on the newspaper... I've read some very good articles on things I had a good insight. But these are not the ones with the big letters on the frontpage, obviously.

Alex

Didn't think they operated Mig 29's from their boat (did they mean Su27)?

Gutsy call to go straight into "Blue Water" Carrier OPs (= no divert, no organic tanker) when as a Navy you haven't operated at sea for some time.... regardess of my personal views of the current Russian "management", glad to read that the pilot got out safely

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FIGHTS ON said:

Didn't think they operated Mig 29's from their boat (did they mean Su27)?

She also carries the MiG-29K in addition to her Su-33s. 

The MiG-29K sounds a lot like this, I hear:

• Like 1

TBH the Russians are still pretty new to carrier operations and it ain't the easiest thing to master.....Timing could have better though.  :rolleyes:

Very glad to hear the pilot was OK.....Apparently the aircraft that crashed was a two-seater, do we know if the other seat was occupied?  :shrug:

8 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

TBH the Russians are still pretty new to carrier operations and it ain't the easiest thing to master.....Timing could have better though.  :rolleyes:

Very glad to hear the pilot was OK.....Apparently the aircraft that crashed was a two-seater, do we know if the other seat was occupied?  :shrug:

"Pretty new to carrier operations"? The Kuznetsov has been in service for 25 years!

The Russians seem to be quite busy at the moment.

Apologies for posting a link to a quasi newspaper:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2174749/multiple-russian-nuclear-powered-submarines-are-being-hunted-by-the-royal-navy-off-the-west-coast-of-scotland/

A RN friend took pictures of Admiral Kuznetsov making its way through the English Channel last month. It certainly throws out a cloud. Looked like it was burning good, stout, smoke intense Russian coal :D (I once received a clandestine one ton supply of that in the UK. Not legal. Very, very smokey, throw on the fire quietly at night, only when it's very windy ;) ).

I mention the possible submarines as given that, according to Wikipedia (which is always right :whistle: ):

"intended to support and defend strategic missile-carrying submarines, surface ships, and naval missile-carrying aircraft of the Russian Navy."

Therefore, a strong intended role is to support just the kind of submarines that are supposedly lurking around to the west of Faslane.

Interesting :hmmm: .

45 days endurance. Then it chugs smokily back or are there friendly refuelling facilities in the Med?

Good that the pilot got out. I guess the dents in the Mig bodywork won't polish out, even after they've dried it out with hairdryers and towels :confused: . 

ATB

TonyT

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

45 days endurance. Then it chugs smokily back or are there friendly refuelling facilities in the Med?

The Tartus base in Syria is still active. They don't have the facilities to host a ship of similar size (and it would be unwise to dock such a juicy target in the middle of that war) but tankers could replenish there and then meet the carrier. Tankers may also come directly from Russia through the Black Sea.

There have been a number of attempt to arrange refueling and restocking in a number of Mediterranean ports, including Spain, Malta and Egypt but until now these have not been accepted by any of these countries

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2016 at 6:21 PM, FIGHTS ON said:

Deleted - Read the forum rules regarding political posts and swearing 

lets be more politically correct then.

another crash reported today by the clowns pretending to be professionals at aviation. So as NOT to get banned (despite this topic inviting comments on REAL AVIATION) I'll leave it at that.......although I hear with the pantomime season approaching there is alway space for more clowns who drive around in ships where perhaps the doors fall off as they stop. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

What, the third one went in already? This is quite a steep learning curve for Kuznetzov air group. Cheers

Jure

No, still just two. But it's like getting an F-104G in your field in 1970s Germany: just wait a little while. 

• Like 5