Lancaster side windows- a query

72modeler

OK, not afraid to show my ignorance on this one, but the discussion on the 1/48 kit has piqued my curiosity. When the side windows were eliminated on Lancasters, were the previous openings covered with sheet metal inserts or were the openings in the fuselage eliminated entirely on the production line? Reason I wanted to ask was if doing a model of a Lanc that had no side windows, would you still see outlines where the original windows were, or just smooth sheet metal skinning? (As the bank robber said to Dirty Harry in the movie, "I just gots to know!")

Mike

Mike

production of the Lancaster fuselage windows stopped around November 1943 so my suggestion would be to check actual photos if you can of the particular aircraft you want to model.

B4 the dis-continued production of the windows some crews had the windows painted out so they would still be visible in their frame. I have never heard of sheet panel sections being fitted retro-spective

If you let us know the serial of the aircraft you have in mind some body here could furnish some information perhaps ??

Ian

Thanks, M-a!

You answered my question; I know some Lancs had their existing windows painted out and would show visible outlines of the windows, I just wasn't sure if the actual apertures were eliminated during production or not. Definitely will work from photos when I start mine- love those Mk X's with the Martin dorsal turrets! Thanks for the quick reply!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added missing word for clarity