1:72 Scale Resin Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.1

On 13/11/2016 at 8:54 PM, WildeSau75 said:

Are these bombs nukes?

Cheers,

Michael

Ascoteer has covered this off well, too small for Red Beard and wrong shape for WE177.  My understanding is that the nukes were only ever carried on the mid station in the bomb bay.

RN Bucanneers were nuke capable, I believe from early 1960s, WE177A from 1972

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Thanks, mates! 

A little birdie just let me know that the main wheels are on backward - and so they are! It seems like I got it right on the S.2B, but backward on the S.1. Anyway, that's been fixed.  It was pretty easy to switch the wheels around - they weren't glued in and the design of the landing gear holds them nice, true and straight. Pop 'em out, turn 'em over, pop 'em back in again. It's a real testament to Scale Resin and CMR Moulding & Casting that there was no real alignment necessary when adding the wheels.

It's the first model I've built in several decades where the wheels can rotate - what's next? Props that spin? Next thing you know I'll be putting firecrackers inside.  :) 

I'd also like to say a big "thank you" to Andy White and his website Blackburn Buccaneer: The Last British Bomber. Not only was Andy directly involved with the development of this kit, but I found myself returning to his website time and time again for reference material. If you've not been there, and even if you're just a casual fan of the Buccaneer, you owe it to yourself to check it out. Great stuff that!   :thumbsup2:

Cheers,

Bill

On 11/17/2016 at 10:11, CT Modeller said:

Really nice S.1, but please sort out the angle of those folded wings! (see any Buccaneer photo with wings folded!)

Thanks mate. I thought perhaps the jury struts on the S.2 were a bit long, but used them as they came in the kit. The S.1 kit didn't seem to have any jury struts so I made some from styrene rod, copying the length of those on the S.2.

Would anyone happen to know the actual length of the jury struts?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

I did notice that myself regarding the wing fold on your lovely S.1 & 2, but have agonised over a really polite way of putting it across in a message here.

Sadly I don't know what the dimensions are to achieve the correct fold angle, but the wing tips come a lot closer together to reduce the overall height for hangar deck clearance. 

I have seen the fold was 120 degrees, but don't know how reliable that is.  The folded height is quoted at 16'8".

You might have to use photo references and gauging the wingtip distances against say the tailplane.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2016 at 09:27, 71chally said:

I did notice that myself regarding the wing fold on your lovely S.1 & 2, but have agonised over a really polite way of putting it across in a message here.

Polite? With me? Just throw something, or if that doesn't work lob an obscenity or two.   :)

I have corresponded with Andy White, subject matter expert on the Buccaneer, and he has advised me of the correct nominal length of the jury struts, and the tip to tip separation when the wings are folded. I'll make up some new struts and modify the models accordingly. I'll post a couple of new photos when I'm finished!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Best in class/Benchmark stuff Bill.  I'll never cease to be amazed by the crispness and neatness of your builds.  Chuck in one of the most satisfying and scale appropriate white finishes I've seen (is it really all done with a grey wash and some delicate post shading?) and it's 1/72 heaven.

Now if you could just drag yourself away from senior service builds for a mo' and treat us all to some nice cold war wraparound camo' schemes for a bit.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Now if you could just drag yourself away from senior service builds for a mo' and treat us all to some nice cold war wraparound camo' schemes for a bit.....

That'd be really :Tasty: !

Ciao

• Like 1

On 11/20/2016 at 07:46, Fritag said:

Best in class/Benchmark stuff Bill.  I'll never cease to be amazed by the crispness and neatness of your builds.  Chuck in one of the most satisfying and scale appropriate white finishes I've seen (is it really all done with a grey wash and some delicate post shading?) and it's 1/72 heaven.

Thanks. The white was done as follows: Alclad Grey primer, Gunze H11 Flat White (for coverage), Testors RLM21 Semi-gloss White (for final color), Light Grey wash (made from Polly-S Light Gull Grey), post shading with Gunze H95 Smoke Grey (thinned with Isopropyl Alcohol about 7:1 in favour of the thinner), final clear varnish is Floquil Flat lacquer.

So let's see, that's lacquer, acrylic, enamel, pseudo-acrylic, acrylic, lacquer. Who said you can't mix and match?  I call the original Polly-S pseudo-acrylic because it acts more like a latex.  :)

Wraparound camo, eh? Well, I'm currently working on a Tigercat and the Dark Sea Blue wraps around... what did you have in mind? 

Cheers,

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, guys!   :)

I haven't forgotten about fixing the jury struts - I've just been too busy with the Tigercat. Once that one is finished, I'll attend to these wing folds and make sure that the wingtip to wingtip separation is correct.

Cheers,

Bill