1:72 Scale Resin Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.1

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2018 at 03:55, Seversky said:

Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best Buccaneer I've ever seen!

Thank you! That's quite a compliment coming from someone with your skills. I appreciate that a lot.   :)

On 12/12/2016 at 18:33, Navy Bird said:

I haven't forgotten about fixing the jury struts - I've just been too busy with the Tigercat. Once that one is finished, I'll attend to these wing folds and make sure that the wingtip to wingtip separation is correct.

It seems I never followed up on this - I made some adjustments to both the CMR Buccaneer S.2 and the Scale Resin Buccaneer S.1 in order to have the folded wings lean in more. To do this, I got the correct length for the jury struts from Andy White, and shortened the existing struts to that length. I had to carefully take off the wings (since they were superglued in place), remove any traces I could find of residual glue, make a new jig to hold the wings at the right angle, and so on. Let me tell you, taking those wings off was pure agony - I was sure I was going to break something that wouldn't be easy to fix. Somehow, though, I persevered and made the change. I think it's much better, but I'm still not sure if it's correct. Seems to me like the wingtips should still be a bit closer together. I'm not going to adjust it again though...    :hypnotised:

Some pix:

IMG_1131

IMG_1698

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Just how late to a party can one be, and still be fashionably late?

I was guided here by our much respected colleague in modelling matters @Fritag from a comment he made in your current Phantom FGR1 build - how's that for convolution?

I'm rather glad I was led here, as quite frankly I'm simply knocked sideways at the sheer beauty, detail, elegance and absolute splendidness of this build. It defines benchmarks.

Buccaneers I love (don't we all), a passion that started in 1968 (I think) at a Biggin Hill air display, where a number of these (it felt like 6 at the time) in their S2 all grey RN form, finished their display by dispersing to all points of the compass, and flying back in from all directions to meet at the same point, to all cross directly over the heads of the crowds at something around 100 feet, I'm guessing, very very fast, missing each other by seconds and causing all kinds of mayhem in the crowd and surrounding marquees! No such thing as crowd safety or display lines then. All extremely dangerous, totally illegal now, but oh boy was it fun to this 14 year old!

So you see, I'm biased.

By far the best model Buccaneer I've seen Bill.

Terry

• Like 1

On 22/09/2021 at 04:44, Terry1954 said:

Just how late to a party can one be, and still be fashionably late?

I was guided here by our much respected colleague in modelling matters @Fritag from a comment he made in your current Phantom FGR1 build - how's that for convolution?

I'm rather glad I was led here, as quite frankly I'm simply knocked sideways at the sheer beauty, detail, elegance and absolute splendidness of this build. It defines benchmarks.

Buccaneers I love (don't we all), a passion that started in 1968 (I think) at a Biggin Hill air display, where a number of these (it felt like 6 at the time) in their S2 all grey RN form, finished their display by dispersing to all points of the compass, and flying back in from all directions to meet at the same point, to all cross directly over the heads of the crowds at something around 100 feet, I'm guessing, very very fast, missing each other by seconds and causing all kinds of mayhem in the crowd and surrounding marquees! No such thing as crowd safety or display lines then. All extremely dangerous, totally illegal now, but oh boy was it fun to this 14 year old!

So you see, I'm biased.

By far the best model Buccaneer I've seen Bill.

Terry

Thanks Terry. You can be as late as you like, you're always welcome. Especially if you're going to throw all those superlatives around so my fat head can get fatter.   :)

Wow, that sounds like a crazy display at that airshow. I've been to a few that were like that - exhilarating, yes, but quite dangerous as you say. I had the misfortune of being at a show in Niagara Falls (mid-80s I believe) where the two solo Blue Angel pilots collided. One pilot ejected but the other sadly lost his life. You absolutely never want to see something like that again. Thank the guy upstairs that neither of the two stricken aircraft were near the crowd.

I really enjoyed building this Buccaneer S.1, but whatever happened to Scale Resin? Was this the only kit they produced? I received this kit as a pre-production sample from Petr (the founder of CMR) so I don't even know if it ever went into full production. Beautiful kit. The only other Scale Resin product I have is a corrected nose for the old Hasegawa F9F Panther.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I really enjoyed building this Buccaneer S.1, but whatever happened to Scale Resin?

Scale Resin seemed to be to be alive and well via Hannants during the last twelve months. I have seen both the below for sale there at around the price of the CMR S2's. I was tempted to go for the S1 but regrettably did not and I see now that Hannants are not listing them at the moment!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/scale-resin-a7201-blackburn-buccaneer-smk1--994041

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/scale-resin-a7202-blackburn-na39-pre-production-version--994040

He who hesitates..............

Terry

It appears (read: pure speculation on my part) that CMR is now focusing on being a supplier to other kit manufacturers.

https://www.castinginresin.com/home

The short history on the website says that CMR split in two in 2012; the model kit development and sales taken over by Mark I, and the production business operating as CMR Moulding & Casting. The Scale Resin kits used to be shown on the latter's site, but are no longer there. Hannants probably sold them until they ran out of inventory...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1