1:72 Scale Resin Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.1

Ooooh that's a thing of beauty -one of those posts that make me say 'wow' to myself. The detailing is second to none, the subtle weathering is nicely done, but the airbrakes' insides are something else. The S.2 looks great as well. Bravo!

Jay

• Like 1

On 11/13/2016 at 15:25, Scimitar said:

2 Buccaneers and in proper colours too ! :whistle:

Are there any other colours? Fly Navy!   :) 

On 11/13/2016 at 15:40, Mountain goat said:

Ooooh that's a thing of beauty -one of those posts that make me say 'wow' to myself. The detailing is second to none, the subtle weathering is nicely done, but the airbrakes' insides are something else. The S.2 looks great as well. Bravo!

Thanks - I really scratched my head trying to figure out how to replicate the oil-based protective varnish applied to the inside of the air brakes. I knew from colour photos that it varied a lot in appearance, and was mostly a red-brown colour. I figured I would start with a shot of Gunze H344 Rust (which has what seems like grains of sand in it) and I liked it so much I stopped there! 

On 11/13/2016 at 15:54, WildeSau75 said:

Top notch builds - like them both but prefer your later build - just because of the paint scheme. You really nailed it.

Are these bombs nukes?

The blue indicates HES (High Explosive Substitute) bombs - in other words: concrete. I bet they'd still hurt though. 

Cheers,

Bill

1 minute ago, Navy Bird said:

Are there any other colours? Fly Navy!   :) 

Thanks - I really scratched my head trying to figure out how to replicate the oil-based protective varnish applied to the inside of the air brakes. I knew from colour photos that it varied a lot in appearance, and was mostly a red-brown colour. I figured I would start with a shot of Gunze H344 Rust (which has what seems like grains of sand  in it) and I liked it so much I stopped there! 

The blue indicates HES (High Explosive Substitute) bombs - in other words: concrete. I bet they'd still hurt though. 

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill - but do they simulate nukes? They look a bit a like.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

Stunning! :worthy:  :clap: :clap: :clap: Could easily be taken for a much bigger scale.

Is it me or did you actually change something in your photo setup? Lighting maybe? Don't know what, but I like it a lot :thumbsup2: 

Ciao

• Like 1

On 11/13/2016 at 16:35, WildeSau75 said:

Thanks Bill - but do they simulate nukes? They look a bit a like.

According to the instruction booklet, they're the same casing as a conventional 1,000 lb. bomb. I don't know enough about British ordnance to say whether that's close to a nuke or not. I would suspect the nuke is larger, and that the Buccaneer would only carry one at a time. Anyone know for sure? 

On 11/13/2016 at 16:49, Bedders said:

Blimey Bill, that's gorgeous. And the pair together look wonderful.

They really do, don't they? I could go into debt and pick up a couple of CMR RAF Bricks - do one in grey/green camo and the other in Desert Storm colours. Then I'd have four that look great together! 

On 11/13/2016 at 16:49, giemme said:

Stunning! :worthy:  :clap: :clap: :clap: Could easily be taken for a much bigger scale.

Is it me or did you actually change something in your photo setup? Lighting maybe? Don't know what, but I like it a lot :thumbsup2: 

Thanks - I don't think I changed anything. I had the camera on the tripod, but that's it. What looks different to you? The biggest change from the construction photos to the finished model is the post shading with Gunze H95 Smoke Grey. That makes the white finish look a bit different.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

According to the instruction booklet, they're the same casing as a conventional 1,000 lb. bomb. I don't know enough about British ordnance to say whether that's close to a nuke or not. I would suspect the nuke is larger, and that the Buccaneer would only carry one at a time. Anyone know for sure?

Buccaneer was designed to carry a single Red Beard nuclear weapon of circa weight 2000lbs to attack the Sverdlov class Cruisers.

By the time the RAF got them, they could carry 2x WE177 weapons (each of circa 1000lbs weight).

Neither weapon had the same casing as a 1000 lb HE bomb.

• Like 4