Modelling WWI Tanks

Histoire & Collections via Casemate UK

cover.jpg

WWI AFV modelling is enjoying somewhat of a Golden Age at the moment, with new toolings of kits popping up from mainstream manufacturers in injection moulded styrene, the likes of which we have never before seen in 1:35.  As someone that is keen on the subject myself, I think back to when I first built an Emhar Mk.IV and there was so little out there in styrene that it was almost a little depressing.  Now we have Meng, Takom, even Hobby Boss bringing out major and minor variants of vehicles such as the St Chamond, the diminutive FT-17 (correctly called the FT), and almost all of the British Marks of tank, even down to the Tadpole and Mark I.  Whilst you don't require hugely different techniques to build and finish a WWI kit, some of the methods you will use might be subtly altered to give the best finish, such as sharp demarcations and massive quantities of mud!

The book is perfect-bound and contains 128 pages in glossy A4 in portrait orientation, with plenty of text and photos throughout.  The author is Frédérik Astier, a talented French modeller, figure sculpter and contributor to magazine Steelmasters, as French language AFV magazine.  His grasp of English is excellent, either through his own skills or those of the translator/editor (it isn't made clear), and this is kept up throughout the volume,

pages1.jpg

It aims to help WWI modellers to expand their skillset, as well as assisting them with that often elusive (certainly to me) skillset of creating dioramas.  Using a series of set-pieces, the author guides us through the build and finish process of various models, with the added bonus of lots of useful hints and tips about diorama creation on the way.  He is clearly unaffiliated with any particular brand of paint, as we see AK Interactive, Tamiya, AMMO, Lifecolor and even Mig productions products through the book.  The vehicles he builds are as follows:

• Tamiya Mark IV Male
  • Takom Mark IV Female
  • Takom St Charmond Tardif
  • Hobby Boss Schenider CA1
  • Meng Sturmpanzerwagen A7V
  • Meng Renault FT (FT-17)

The first two are built as a "face-off" between the two brands to establish which makes the best base for your model, and I'm not about to spoil the outcome of that for you, so I guess you'll have to read it to find out.  The result may (or may not) surprise you.  Between each section are a couple of pages of period photographs of the subject just modelled, which are informative and incredibly crisp for their vintage.  The diorama content is interspersed through the builds, and is incredibly informative, although Frédérik is clearly a master of that particular genre to say the least.  Of course some of his techniques would be a little daunting to the novice, but a great many of them are surprisingly simple, and use every day household (or DIY) items.

pages2.jpg

Conclusion

Whether you're a WWI modeller or interested in diorama techniques, or both, you should get plenty out of the book, and the photography shows off the author's work to the best and is a real treat for the eyes.

Very highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 2