The Sea Fury rumour thread 2

Whofan

30 minutes ago, Shar2 said:

@NAVY870

The teardrop on the doors are there because the real aircraft has them fitted. They can only go by What's in front of them when using lidar.

Does anyone know whereabouts in the Sea Fury production run those teardrops were introduced?

On a kit I'd rather have to remove them than add them.

17 hours ago, Shar2 said:

@NAVY870
 I think the rivets on the rudder are over done due to the style of modelling used, as they're not visible on the real thing.

The teardrop on the doors are there because the real aircraft has them fitted. They can only go by What's in front of them when using lidar.

Th tailwheel strut looks like it's been fitted incorrectly, modeller error rather than model error.

Point 1, Agreed but it looks properly awful.

Point 2, Fair enough, to be honest I've not seen them before, the 2 at Nowra and our bird dont have them.

The 3 flyers I worked on were ex Iraq aircraft so I cant use them as a reliable source.

Point 3, Disagree, look at the pivot point, its at full extension. I wonder if the aircraft was on a jack when it was lidared.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spaddad said:

Is it possible that US 500 pounders were used in Korea in order to simplify logistics?

It is also possible that many were  left over in British stocks from WWII. The British Pacific Fleet and East indies Fleets used US ordnance during their campaigns in 1944/1945.

The painting diagram for the Korean War option also depicts a British 500lb GP bomb, just next to the colour callouts. Stranger things have happened, but I don't see why they'd show them on the painting diagram and not include them as an option in the box.

Jeff

I built the model featured in Workbench and as I understand it there will be British 500lb GP bombs supplied in the production kit. That was a change made after the initial test shots.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Both British and US bombs were used by both air forces. If you look at many standard mid-late war bomb casings there are two 'hoops' for the US bomb shackle types and a single lug on the opposite - ie 180 from- side of the bomb casing for the British 'finger' or 'Yale' type bomb releases which only used a single attachment point. British and US fins were different of course but otherwise for many casings were the same. The US made pressed steel box fins, vs the British circular ones which are MUCH more ellaborate! US bombers dropped 'British' bombs and RAF bombers dropped 'US' ones. We have a significant collection of same at Sywell Aviation Museum

22 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

I know bugger all about Sea Furies

They are ill mannered louts of things that were made by the agents of Satan to bring woe to the poor unfortunate

knuckle dragger's sent forth to do battle with the vile beast.

They leak from every orifice, ensure that every component serviced on a regular basis is surrounded by a veritable field of lock wire

split pin ends and any other razor sharp sharp outcropping that may be available (to be fair that's not just Furies that's just about every British

aeroplane ever) and bet you about the bonce given half the chance.

The engine will start when it wants to and will sign off when it wants to, doesn't bother it if your back on the ship/ground when it does.

Access to the cockpit requires the dexterity of a mountain goat and the assistance of a knuckle dragger who can hang onto the aircraft with his toes

while cramming the green man in the office.

Damn things are properly fast when everything works though but even on flat pelt they dont sound half as good as a Firebox.

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

On 03/10/2017 at 6:28 AM, 85sqn said:

The British Pacific Fleet and East indies Fleets used US ordnance during their campaigns in 1944/1945.

Can you remind me of the evidence for that?  (Not an oblique way of saying you're wrong: I dimly recall that you're right but really can't remember the evidence.)  David Hobbs, former director of the FAAM and later author of the standard book on the BPF, was quite adamant to me that only British ordnance was used.  Which would have made political sense as the Royal Navy wanted/had to prove to the anglophobe Admiral King that the BPF would not be a drain on USN resources so set up their own (somewhat ramshackle) supply chain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have seen the sprues for this kit in the plastic so to speak and it is of the same standard as the Mustang. For the price it's a good kit with everything you need there.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...