The Sea Fury rumour thread 2

Whofan

Didn't see any markings, and as it's not due till Sept 2017, Airfix probably aren't that far 'down the line'.

BUT DON'T WORRY.

Airfix couldn't possibly offer all the options available, and doubtless Xtradecal and others will go crazy offering all manner of extra schemes.

7 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

The Korean war option will be Carmicheal.  Has to be.  I've called it here.

I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

If they do a Korean option, they should really choose one of the usually forgotten Australian ones.  They look almost identical to the FAA ones but for the ident above the serials.

For the love of God not VX.730!

One would think it was the only Hawker radial engined crap heap we used in Korea.

9 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

If they do a Korean option, they should really choose one of the usually forgotten Australian ones.  They look almost identical to the FAA ones but for the ident above the serials.

Better looking pilots, and a different tail code

Shane

• Like 1

I would imagine they will do at least one famous marking on the first release, probably Lt. Carmicheal's bird.

When you look at Airfix's releases over previous years they tend to pick one popular scheme and one slightly odd different scheme, like the P-51 that came with a Dominican air force scheme, maybe they'll do a Cuban air force marking Sea Fury!

Seriously I hope it's released with a UK and Aussie Navy scheme, but I'm sure the after market guys will release numerous decal sheets to cover everybody's tastes.

Rich

• 1 month later...

I think that this topic on the Sea Fury in general needs a BUMP up the table for discussion again, we seem to have threads going on all other new releases BUT the Sea Fury.

This is going to a huge want in my books and I think we need to start adding ideas and chat to this future release. What ever markings that Airfix release with the kit I am sure there will be others added from other sources rather quickly.

Ali

• Like 2

You're right Ali.

1/48 - Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 - ref. A06105

Release expected in Q3 2017

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/hawker-sea-fury-fb-ii-1-48.html

More information on the research and development of the 1:48 Hawker Sea Fury model can be seen in Workbench:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/spectacular-new-naval-fighter-in-148th-scale

sea-fury6.jpg

V.P.

34 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

What ever markings that Airfix release with the kit I am sure there will be others added from other sources rather quickly.

There's no mystery about it. There are already loads of 1/48 Sea Fury decals out there in current print, and a new Xtradecal sheel already announced

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=all_decals&code=&scale_id=955&keyword_search=sea+fury&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

Plus lots and lots on the second hand market from the heyday of the Hobbycraft kit. There were six Aeromaster sheets, which crop up in the usual places from time to time.

https://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?fkSECTION[]=Decals&q=1%3A48+aeromaster+sea+fury*

• Like 1

Thanks WIP!

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48175

- ref. X48175 - Hawker Sea Fury FB.11/FB.60

• FB.11 WG629 136/T 807 NAS RN HMS Theseus, Egypt 1952;
  • FB.11 TF994 BC-C 803 NAS RCN HMCS Magnificent 1948;
  • FB.11 115/NW R. Australian N, Bankstown 1968;
  • FB.11 FAR 42, Cuban AF, 1969;
  • FB.50 Moroccan AF, Rabat-Sale, Morocco 1978;
  • FB.50 6-16 860 Sqn, R. Netherlands Navy 1951;

X48175 X48175 X48175 X48175

V.P.

Thanks for that, I had not seen the future release sheet by Xtradecal, but this is exactly what I  / we needed in this topic, and as time marches on more I know will be added as in general information or otherwise others will come up with some good period pictures etc. I need to look out my information as I have loads of books etc on the subject.

The main thing is we can all start talking about it, and deciding how and what we can do with it, as I am sure it will be a great model and very possibly it should be the best Sea Fury model to date (in any scale), not that would be hard in all fairness.

Ali

54 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Thanks WIP!

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48175

- ref. X48175 - Hawker Sea Fury FB.11/FB.60

• FB.11 WG629 136/T 807 NAS RN HMS Theseus, Egypt 1952;
  • FB.11 TF994 BC-C 803 NAS RCN HMCS Magnificent 1948;
  • FB.11 115/NW R. Australian N, Bankstown 1968;
  • FB.11 FAR 42, Cuban AF, 1969;
  • FB.50 Moroccan AF, Rabat-Sale, Morocco 1978;
  • FB.50 6-16 860 Sqn, R. Netherlands Navy 1951;

X48175 X48175 X48175 X48175

V.P.

WH589/115 has been done to death, and it wasn't based at Bankstown - the tail code "NW" (for NoWra) is a bit of a giveaway there. I do hope somebody does some research and takes us down some of the less-travelled paths of the RAN's Furies - there are enough of them ...

5 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

I'd like Hannants to downscale that sheet as I'd really like a Morroccan one.  IIRC, PM promised it but never delivered.

& I'd rather like the Cuban markings in 1/72. I know they've been available from others but spendy & without a heap of other decals like Xtradecals provide.

Steve.

The Airfix kit markings from what I can tell are 155 of 804 sqdn on HMS Glory with the high demarcation and 107 of 802 sqdn on HMS Vengeance with the low demarcation, neither appears t have Korean War stripes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ali62 said:

Sounds interesting Geoff, where are you seeing that information?

Ali

I got the Airfix 2017 Catalogue delivered at lunchtime, it has the side profile for the schemes but doesn't have the text like they used to. I knew the Phantom units but had to cross check the tail codes for the Colossus class carriers and the Sea Fury units in Air Britain's FAA Squadrons book.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2017 at 8:46 AM, Admiral Puff said:

WH589/115 has been done to death, and it wasn't based at Bankstown - the tail code "NW" (for NoWra) is a bit of a giveaway there. I do hope somebody does some research and takes us down some of the less-travelled paths of the RAN's Furies - there are enough of them ...

The offending photo was taken at the old death row out the back of HdeH at bankstown after the aircraft had been paid off and put into

storage. Some git mislabelled the photo and it has since become accepted fact

Bit like Frog, Revell CMR Aeroclub and a few others with the 724 Squadron Sea Venom onboard HMAS Melbourne decal option all

based on a mislabelled photo in the Roger Lindsey Venom book. Nobody bothered to check the facts, if they had they would have found out

it was a very early 808 bird.

We didnt have too many variations on our Furies, two blue ones, one or two silver ones and a pile of EDSG/Sky ones. 

Only real change was changing red dots in the roundels to red rats.

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/a-furious-model-update/

A Furious model update

Date: 14/04/2017

A Furious model update

Welcome to the latest edition of Workbench and our regular look behind the scenes at the world of Airfix modelling. We have something a little special for our readers in edition 45 as we are going to be taking a closer look at one of the most important components of any Airfix kit and the talented man behind its production. Most Airfix modellers will usually begin their latest build project by studying the instruction sheet for a little guidance before reaching for the glue and craft knife and over the course of our next two blogs, we will be looking at the fascinating subject of how these important documents are put together. If that were not reason enough to grab your attention, we also have the latest update from the popular and much-anticipated 1/48th scale Hawker Sea Fury FB.II project, along with the final instalment of Dave Haddican’s impressive RAF Jet Provost build review. A veritable modelling feast awaits in Workbench edition 45, so we had better get straight into it.

Camm’s ultimate piston

Without doubt, the British aviation industry has been responsible for producing some of the most impressive aircraft ever to take to the skies. Amongst this celebrated group of machines are just a handful of aircraft that represented the very pinnacle of aviation technology when they were being developed, but almost as soon as they were introduced into service, were overtaken by the pace of technological advancement. Aircraft such as the Hawker Fury and Gloster Gladiator were two of the finest biplane fighter aircraft the world had ever seen, but their triumphant service introduction was overshadowed by the advancing spectre of the fast monoplane fighter, which was already heralding the future of aviation. Just eight short years after the Gladiator had entered service with the RAF, the Fleet Air Arm unveiled their mighty Hawker Sea Fury fleet defence fighter, arguably the most potent piston-engined fighter ever produced, but despite its stellar performance, aviation technology had advanced once more and the era of the jet engine had arrived.

ImageB

The Sea Fury has been a favourite on the UK Airshow scene for many years

It is interesting to note that the development of the Fleet Air Arm’s most capable piston powered fighter can actually trace its lineage back to the inadvertent landing and subsequent capture of a Luftwaffe Focke Wulf Fw190 at a South Wales RAF airfield in the summer of 1942. Evaluation of this new enemy fighter led to the development of a new British high performance fighter, which looked to marry a light and agile airframe with the most powerful engine available at the time, producing an aircraft that was superior to the Focke Wulf in every respect. Although there are undoubtedly some similarities in the profiles of the two aircraft, the Hawker Sea Fury is a much cleaner, slender aircraft when compared to the rugged and purposeful design of the Focke Wulf – for many aviation enthusiasts, the Sea Fury not only represents the pinnacle of piston engined fighter design, but also one of the most attractive aircraft ever produced.

Airfix Sea Fury update – first test shots arrive

ImageC

CAD image file showing the wing position options on the Sea Fury tooling

With the popularity of Fleet Air Arm subject matter and the stunning good looks of the Hawker Sea Fury, it is hardly surprising that this latest 1/48th scale announcement has been extremely well received by modellers and we are delighted to bring you the latest update from the project. With a host of build options available to the modeller A06105 incorporates all the latest design and production technologies available to the Airfix team and will build in to an extremely accurate scale representation of this famous naval fighter. The design team are always excited to receive the first test shots of any new model kit, but its arrival also heralds a further period of hectic activity, as every aspect of the kit components are evaluated with attention to detail being very much the order of the day.

This exciting stage of any new model project sees plastic injected through the model tooling blocks for the first time, with the resultant component frames sent back to the Airfix design team for detailed evaluation. Many hours of painstaking inspection will now take place as every aspect of the tooling effectiveness is assessed and a report compiled which will usually include instructions for further tooling refinements.

ImageD

ImageE
We are pleased to share these first ‘Test Shots’ of the 1/48th scale Hawker Sea Fury FB.II with Workbench readers

As well as having the opportunity to inspect the individual parts of the new model, the arrival of the first test frames allows the development team to construct the Sea Fury kit from its component parts and further evaluate the fit and finish of individual parts. This important process may again throw up the need for some tooling refinements and even result in some slight alterations to the production of the instruction sheet, which will by this stage be quite advanced, but may require additional detail or construction order change. From the modeller's perspective, even though these are still only pre-production test build samples of the new kit, they do look particularly impressive and we can officially start to get excited at the prospect of adding this beautiful model to our build schedules.

ImageHImageFImageG

This first test build model already shows why this has been such a popular addition to the 1/48th scale range

ImageJ

The Hawker Sea Fury is one of the most attractive piston-engined fighters to ever take to the skies

We hope that these latest development images have managed to whet your Sea Fury appetites, as we know many Workbench readers are particularly looking forward to this model being released. Currently scheduled for a winter 2017 arrival, we will continue to bring you regular updates from the project over the coming weeks - you can also reserve your example by visiting the Airfix website, or placing an order with your usual model supplier. Come to think of it, most of us will want to build at least two examples to show off the different wing configuration options on this beauty … roll on winter 2017.

The iconic Airfix instruction booklet

Having been involved in the production of instruction booklets since the Airfix brand came under Hornby ownership, Richard is incredibly experienced in every facet of their design and makes everything sound so easy, which clearly it isn’t. For the purposes of this review, we have based our illustrations on the new Hawker Sea Fury, to coincide with the latest update on this popular model and to give Workbench readers an exclusive preview of this ongoing work.

ImageN

Richard working on his latest Airfix instruction sheet masterpiece

Workbench readers will now be extremely familiar with the development images we regularly include in our blogs that have been taken from the CAD files used to develop the models we are featuring in any particular edition. It will come as no surprise that these CAD files also form an important part of the work Richard does in producing the instruction booklets, where he takes this information and manipulates it for his own purposes using powerful software programmes. Indeed, before looking at the actual process of creating the instructions, it would probably be useful to note the programmes used during the various stages.

ImageO

The CAD design files are an important part of Richard’s work

Richard describes how he will normally use three pieces of software to help him with his work - IsoDraw to manipulate the CAD files from the designer and make all the exploded images he needs when working in 3D and Adobe Illustrator to create all the artwork from these images, including line weights, white halos, annotations and various other effects such as transparent cutaway areas and adding a tint of blue on all clear parts. Finally, Adobe InDesign is used to create the pages themselves with all the step numbers and frames to import the artwork into. This will also include creating the front cover sheet with some history of the individual aircraft/vehicle and the language translations of this information, along with the model colour scheme layouts and stencil placement data, although this information is created by another artist.

Time to instruct on the latest Airfix masterpiece

Although Richard is clearly integral to the production of these important modelling documents, he is quick to point out that this is very much a team effort, with every member of the team bringing years of experience to their particular roles. Before most projects can begin, Richard will be looking to receive a set of model sprues on which to base his artwork, which are usually the first shots through a new model tooling. This will be accompanied by a design brief and a CAD file compiled by the Designer, and some detailed information regarding all the various build options prepared by the lead researcher.

After assessing the design brief, which draws heavily upon the wealth of experience within the Airfix development team and will suggest the most logical model build order in the majority of cases, Richard will begin to plan how many pages the booklet will require. This will depend on a number of factors, such as the scale of the model, the number of paint schemes and the number of step by step illustrations needed after making some thumbnail sketches first. He knows that he will need to keep related assembly sections together on the same page wherever possible, such as the undercarriage and weapons pieces for example. Importantly, even though this is the ideal structure behind any new instruction sheet project, the team are now so experienced in the production of these documents that Richard can easily make a start, even if he has not received all the support information described above.

ImageR

The first test shots of the Sea Fury will help Richard to construct his instruction files

Richard was keen to point out that there a few important things he needs to bear in mind whilst creating the step by step assembly images on his instruction sheets. He needs to incorporate enough background detail around the item(s) being featured to allow the modeller a clear indication of where this particular assembly relates both to other parts and to the main assembly itself, also leaving space for the addition of annotations at a later stage. If a section of the assembly is likely to be a little unclear due to being partly hidden by other parts of the model, Richard will always include additional detail with clearer reference images, in an attempt to help the modeller during construction.

ImageS

Building the model at the same time as the instruction booklet is being planned

As can be seen in the photo, Richard will build each model he is working on at his desk, and at the same time he is creating the instruction sheet artwork on his computer. This will help him to clearly understand the most logical assembly order of the kit parts and also to see any areas of the construction he feels will benefit from either additional reader guidance, or changing the construction order. As we have already touched upon, Richard is working to produce a document that will aid modellers of all abilities – logical assembly order and a good parts fit are very much the order of the day.

As Richard has been doing this kind of work for over ten years, he told us that as the supporting software is always improving and as a result of adopting these new technologies, he has lost count of how many times he has switched from PC to Mac and back again, but he is more than happy to work on either system. His first step is to open the model CAD file in IsoDraw and familiarise himself with all the parts of the new model – this will usually involve exploding every individual part and using his experience to inspect everything, before starting to assemble everything back in the reverse order. He describes this process as working on an X, Y and Z axis, usually starting with the cockpit section first on most aviation projects.

Sea-Fury-Image-T-new.jpg

An exclusive Workbench look at one of the new Sea Fury FB.II instruction booklet pages in production

Richard described how he will sometimes create special views in perspective but most of the time, all the graphics tend to be kept isometric, as these are much easier to open up again and modify at a later date, should this be required. This may be as a result of building the model himself and finding a challenging section of the build or a later team project review, where the team decides to alter the build order, or feels that a particular stage requires additional information. This can also be particularly important when working on a new booklet based on an existing model tooling, which is being released with additional parts or alternative construction options. After some manipulation in the IsoDraw software programme and once Richard is happy with the resultant image, he will crop it to keep the file size down before converting it into an Illustrator file in preparation for building the actual instruction sheet artwork pages in Adobe Illustrator.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3