Three tenths of a second before the music died

i think it's not distasteful.  i mean he is depicting an historical fact in the end in a respecting way, he is not making fun of them or being morbid about it showing gory details or things like those.  He may have chosen to depict the very moment of the impact, with the fireball, the plane losing parts and so on, would have been much more spectacular, but one may find it edgy and morbid.  But this i think is also quite evocative, it's a diorama that makes you think about what you're seeing and i think is always a good thing and it also raise emotions, wich again i think is a good thing.

I think also is a good thing this discussion emerged from it i find it interesting to see where everyone draws the line. 

One could find distasteful the whole fact that people have fun playing around with scale model of military machines designed to kill people and that produced a lot of suffering around the world  or find distasteful that people are entertained and have fun watching movies depicting a traumatic event like the d-day landing or even worse playing war videogames, they may have a point but we actually don't care.

Why this would exactly be different? i mean i've heard someone saying these being civilians and not military would be a reason.

Well he should consider many of the military during ww1 or ww2 weren't volounteers, they were forced to go in the army, possibly not even fighting for their country ( like soldiers from british colonies or from german occupied countries  ) and they would have loved to stay at home but they had no choice. Does that makes it distasteful than? 

is building a B-17 or a Lancaster Bomber or the B-29 Enola Gay distasteful considering they were used to deliberately bomb civilians trying to get the higer number of kills they could get in order to spread terror and lower morale but building a Sopwith camel not because of the romantic idea of dogfights cavalry?

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Certainly an interesting debate, this.  I remember that several toy soldier producers in the 1960s and 70s used to include figures who were either dead or in the process of dying.  And these were toys!  I seem to remember, possibly with 20-20 hindsight, being quite uncomfortable with them as a boy. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2017 at 12:27 PM, cambridge said:

i think it's not distasteful.  i mean he is depicting an historical fact in the end in a respecting way, he is not making fun of them or being morbid about it showing gory details or things like those.  He may have chosen to depict the very moment of the impact, with the fireball, the plane losing parts and so on, would have been much more spectacular, but one may find it edgy and morbid.  But this i think is also quite evocative, it's a diorama that makes you think about what you're seeing and i think is always a good thing and it also raise emotions, wich again i think is a good thing.

I think also is a good thing this discussion emerged from it i find it interesting to see where everyone draws the line. 

One could find distasteful the whole fact that people have fun playing around with scale model of military machines designed to kill people and that produced a lot of suffering around the world  or find distasteful that people are entertained and have fun watching movies depicting a traumatic event like the d-day landing or even worse playing war videogames, they may have a point but we actually don't care.

Why this would exactly be different? i mean i've heard someone saying these being civilians and not military would be a reason.

Well he should consider many of the military during ww1 or ww2 weren't volounteers, they were forced to go in the army, possibly not even fighting for their country ( like soldiers from british colonies or from german occupied countries  ) and they would have loved to stay at home but they had no choice. Does that makes it distasteful than? 

is building a B-17 or a Lancaster Bomber or the B-29 Enola Gay distasteful considering they were used to deliberately bomb civilians trying to get the higer number of kills they could get in order to spread terror and lower morale but building a Sopwith camel not because of the romantic idea of dogfights cavalry?

It's each to their own of course, but these are all pretty good points to make.

I'm firmly in the "anything goes" camp, if you don't like the subject then fine, move on and find the next model that meets your criteria, no need to moralise.

I think the snow effect is effective, the plane is well finished and I like the way you use the fence as a support; there are some otherwise good dioramas around spoiled by sticking the plane on top of a large pole. Maybe the base could have been a little bigger? Anyway, good idea, well executed.

• Like 1

An interesting piece which seems to have polarized opinion. I get why everyone may not like it, but I think its well done.

My only comment; perhaps adjusting the aircraft attitude to a slightly steeper dive or bank to make the diorama a little more dynamic and dramatic to push the story, and a nameplate on the base explaining the incident, in case people don't get the title.

Bruce

Edited by pacificmustang

• 2 months later...

Interesting and varied commentary. Just two threads down from this one as I type is a Mosquito vignette showing a bomb released from a Mosquito, just about to land in the laps of a German artillery crew - and not one single comment about being sick or distatseful. Not sure what that means, it's just interesting.

I think this diorama is extremely well done - the snowscape is highly realistic, and makes me chilly. The subject matter does make me feel slightly uncomfortable (as does the mosquito), but to me that just says it is so well executed that it makes you step back and think a bit.

Highly well done diorama, which has the distinction of stirring some debate beyond "well done".

So very well done.