More on Airfix 2017

Denford

9 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

I see from hattons that Hornby are announcing their 2017 range on 4th Jan, so presume Airfix will be the same day?

Yup, I said that a week ago.

23 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

Poison pen my backside!  I'm simply decrying the sheer lack of imagination from Airfix.  A rebox with new decals?  Great, but give us two new schemes, yeah?  How hard is it to research PR19s for alternate schemes?  Simply check the aftermarket for a start, perhaps call a pet researcher.  I and I've no doubt quite a few other Spitfire modellers here,could have pulled the relevant reference off the shelf within seconds of a call - my own are two feet to my left.  

And if that's too hard, why not just key in Spitfire PR19 into google and see what alternate schemes pop up?  Look!  Took me two seconds!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spitfire+PR+XIX&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwivi66v4Z_RAhXjCcAKHeXQBrQQ_AUIBQ

But no, that's too hard for our Airfix researcher who just says "We'll give them the same option from our last boxing."  Unimaginative dullards...

What I wrote about poison pen letters and Mary Whitehouses was not a reply or response to anything you had written, it was just a general comment stemming from my concerns around people who tend to look for what is wrong rather than what is right with new kits.

Also I agree about the new Spitfire PR19 decals, it seems like a job half done.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:51 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Schemes and box art for thespitfire 19 rebox have been revealed, primary scheme is no surprise given the bbmf one is being repainted as such, but I'm disapointed once again the alternate scheme is a Swedish one, looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the xtradecal sheet to do a wartime XIX

Stu,

PM to be sent regarding a hopeful exchange for some WW2 Xtradecal Spit XIX decals with a pair of Vampire T.11 main gear (as I know you build your kits wheel's up).

Cheers .. Dave.

Hmmm. Not really much to write home about & nothing we didn't know already. Me-262 & B-25 are not mentioned. For me personally, a rather underwhelming year with only the 262 & Phantom being of any interest. However, that's just me. I got something to look forward to & that's all that matters. Should the new tool P-51D not read 1/48 instead of 1/72?

Allan

17 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Hmmm. Not really much to write home about & nothing we didn't know already. Me-262 & B-25 are not mentioned. For me personally, a rather underwhelming year with only the 262 & Phantom being of any interest. However, that's just me. I got something to look forward to & that's all that matters. Should the new tool P-51D not read 1/48 instead of 1/72?

Allan

These have been know for last few weeks and the probably not the full list even if the omissions are counted, also the p-51d is the current tool 1/72 reboxed with some new markings to replace the F-51 boxing thats been deleted 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Hmmm. Not really much to write home about & nothing we didn't know already. Me-262 & B-25 are not mentioned. For me personally, a rather underwhelming year with only the 262 & Phantom being of any interest. However, that's just me. I got something to look forward to & that's all that matters.

I'm kind of in the same boat when it comes to what I will likely buy, but kudos to Airfix for their choices this year, a new tool, mainstream, 48th Walrus and Sea Fury is commendable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IanC said:

The old M4 Sherman trundles on...

From 1961 to who knows when.

God bless it. Surely time to retire? :lol:

And still they get its name wrong.  The kit represents a M4 Sherman I and always has since, as you point out, the dawn of time.  The current boxing calls it a M4A2 (Sherman III): it is not.  The future release promises a cast-hulled M4A1 (Sherman II): would be nice if true but the box top illustration is still of the current "M4A2".

22 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

And still they get its name wrong.  The kit represents a M4 Sherman I and always has since, as you point out, the dawn of time.  The current boxing calls it a M4A2 (Sherman III): it is not.  The future release promises a cast-hulled M4A1 (Sherman II): would be nice if true but the box top illustration is still of the current "M4A2".

I'm confused, Hannants show it as a new release but the item number and box image show the current issue that's still available on the airfix website. 

Phil

7 minutes ago, shatters said:

I'm confused, Hannants show it as a new release but the item number and box image show the current issue that's still available on the airfix website. 

Phil

Wait till Wednesday and find out from Airfix, its easier than speculating on what Hannants have listed as quite possible that item may be incorrectly entered.

On 03/12/2016 at 10:41 PM, VMA131Marine said:

For 1/72 WWI releases, I think an Albatros D.III and a Sopwith Triplane would be a good start.

Probably a forlorn hope, but if Mr Airfix is reading a 1/72 Sopwith Tripe would be great - there's nothing currently available apart from the ancient Revell.

• Like 1

I see that Hannant's are repeating the partly-incorrect claim from the Airfix Workbench article:

" ...a significant aircraft which still holds the world altitude record for a single piston engined aircraft - In February 1952, Flight Lieutenant Ted Powles flew Spitfire PS852 to an altitude of 51.500 ft. during a reconnaissance flight over the Chinese Island of Hainan. Flying with RAF No.81 Squadron out of Kai Tak airfield in Hong Kong, Powles set an altitude record for the Spitfire and indeed for all single engine piston fighters which still stands to this day, serving as an enduring legacy of these magnificent machines."

Yes to the second sentence, but no to the first. The Bristol 138 flew to 53,937 ft in 1937 flown by Flt Lt Adams, from Farnborough, setting a world absolute altitude record.

So yes to a Spitfire record, probable yes to "single piston-engined fighter" but not "single piston engined aircraft".

However, I don't think this makes the kit unbuildable.:lol:

• Like 2

As the person who started this thread, may I try to be the one who finishes it before the moderator terminates it.  There seems to be an underlying ‘sentiment’ that 2017 will not be a good year.  However there are good reasons for the limited number of new releases.

1. During 2016 Airfix were pre-occupied with two large subjects: B-17 and Victor.  Clearly the effort to produce them will have a knock-on effect on the number and timing of follow on subjects.

2. Airfix is small, less than 10 people, and during 2016 staff left.  At this size any departure will have a significant effect and though no doubt they are recruiting hard, it will take time to make up lost ground.

3. Hornby are still in serious financial trouble, and were God not a modeller, keeping Interest Rates low, they would have gone under for a third time.  One’s not supposed to survive that.  Seriously though, we don’t know the extent to which the Bank limits/restricts forward funding – and of course has to be convinced that the chosen subjects will sell, and sell well.  There’s clearly no place for the ‘no hopers’ that regularly appear on wishlists here.

Like other Britmodeller followers I’m glad to see that Airfix is still alive and tooling new subjects.  But I’m also more than happy to pay new prices if that’s what needed to keep them going.  Beyond 2107, there’s still a huge number of subjects awaiting (re)tooling to their current standards so no problem there either.  Their future looks good and we should all be grateful.

• Like 18

1 minute ago, Caerbannog said:

How could 2017 be not a good year? They announced a 1:48 Sea Fury!

Everything is good :-)

René

Would have preferred it in 1/72, though that will surely come.  But I'm happy for those who want it in 1/48.

Some production issues aside (missing sprues, deformed clear parts), I'm over the moon with what Airfix have been releasing over the last few years. They are releasing kits faster than I can build them and whilst some are't the easiest to assemble, we now have some modern tooled classics that we wouldn't of expected a few years ago that are generally accurate. Obviously depends on taste, but I cant build them fast enough! Keep up the great work Airfix :) 

• Like 2

Thanks for starting this thread Denford.

Your latest sentiments are quite sobering and I think it's best to re-read it a few times and take stock of how lucky we modellers have been over the last few years of this 'golden era'. 

The only prediction I'll make now for next year is a new Airfix 2018 thread to appear minutes after the 2017 announcements are advised!! There might be some weird and wonderful comments made on these threads, however they are always great to read. 

Cheers and I hope we all respond with a sence of calm and level headingness when that Fairey Fruitbat Mk. XXIX is not amongst Airfix's 2017 range. 

Dave. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I hope we all respond with a sence of calm and level headingness when that Fairey Fruitbat Mk. XXIX is not amongst Airfix's 2017 range. 

And that despite the veritable cornucopia of information about the type now available on this very site!

• Like 1