More on Airfix 2017

Denford

Yes the Blenheim box art is super. But unfortunately for me it's still got the same Blenheim inside - which I had a real struggle with!

Might get one for the stash though..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I had a look at the paint plan on the Airfix website and it's still showing the Cross of Lorraine in red. Is it just that they haven't updated that aspect of it yet?

I checked it yesterday and it was already blue? Are you taking about single profile, which still have red crosses, or full camouglage scheme, which have blue on plane and red cross with annotation in right down corner?

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I had a look at the paint plan on the Airfix website and it's still showing the Cross of Lorraine in red. Is it just that they haven't updated that aspect of it yet?

This is one I think I'll pre order. An iconic scheme for the aircraft.

Best regards

TonyT

Maybe it's on your cache of your PC ?

Both box art and profiles show it in blue

Cheers,

Martin

33 minutes ago, Botan said:

I checked it yesterday and it was already blue? Are you taking about single profile, which still have red crosses, or full camouglage scheme, which have blue on plane and red cross with annotation in right down corner?

Hello Botan,

I checked again and the cross is only still red on the single side view.

IMG_0062.jpg

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/bristol-blenheim-mkiv-bomber-1-72.html

They've changed it on the four view :)

I was a bit worried that they might not be the right colour in the box, but now I'm sure they will be :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

10 minutes ago, occa said:

Maybe it's on your cache of your PC ?

Both box art and profiles show it in blue

Cheers,

Martin

Hello Martin,

Definitely worth a try :thumbsup2:  I'm on my wife's smartphone (Sony). I closed the browser, cleared the cache and restarted.

It's still showing red on the single side view (with zoom activated or deactivated), blue on full plan.

I'm sure that Airfix will be just in the process of changing over.

The original Airfix 1/72 model was quite possibly my favourite twin engine kit as a young boy. I thought the FAFL markings were superb. A close second was the FROG Martin Maryland, also in FAFL markings. They probably didn't look as good as they do in my nostalgic mind's eye, but they looked great together on my bedroom shelf, when I was just 8 years old :).

I would like to rekindle the memory with this new Airfix release and the (older) Azur 1/72 Maryland.

Best regards

TonyT

PS: I just noticed that the old FROG Maryland had red crosses too. A little too late for FROG to change it ;)

IMG_0063.jpg

52 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Botan,

I checked again and the cross is only still red on the single side view.

IMG_0062.jpg

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/bristol-blenheim-mkiv-bomber-1-72.html

They've changed it on the four view :)

I was a bit worried that they might not be the right colour in the box, but now I'm sure they will be :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

As I dsaid at the time, the website images were just early proofs (and improperly rendered at that) - I beleive it was always the intention to offer red and blue crosses

• Like 1

Hello Martin,

Definitely worth a try :thumbsup2:  I'm on my wife's smartphone (Sony). I closed the browser, cleared the cache and restarted.

It's still showing red on the single side view (with zoom activated or deactivated), blue on full plan.

I'm sure that Airfix will be just in the process of changing over.

The original Airfix 1/72 model was quite possibly my favourite twin engine kit as a young boy. I thought the FAFL markings were superb. A close second was the FROG Martin Maryland, also in FAFL markings. They probably didn't look as good as they do in my nostalgic mind's eye, but they looked great together on my bedroom shelf, when I was just 8 years old :).

I would like to rekindle the memory with this new Airfix release and the (older) Azur 1/72 Maryland.

Best regards

TonyT

Hi Tony  !!

(Sorry for the messed up quote)

You're right of course ...

I hadn't payed full attention but it's still 'rouge' in the side profile for me too.

And FAFL markings are a favorite for me too !!

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I am not joking. If I were joking I'd say something like "The bartender says - we don't serve time travelers here. A time traveler walks into a bar" 

I'm also not basing my assessment on 3D CAD. Why the effe would I do that? I'm basing it on the photos Airfix posted on their facebook page. Now, as Nigel Bunker said above, the lighting of the photos may be causing the lines to look more prominent than they actually are. 

If upon release, the kit does in fact have nice details, I will happily eat my words. But based on the data available, I won't be selling my Fujimi phantoms just yet. 

That did make me laugh and spit out my coffee.

Ultimately, of course one can start to form a view based on what you've seen, but as you say, and it's that with which I concur, the real assessment and decision can only be based on seeing the real thing, in the flesh (plastic).

On 7/31/2017 at 3:34 PM, trickydicky210 said:

Airfix have 2 kits artwork out

1/72 JU87B2:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/junkers-ju87b-2-r-2-stuka-1-72.html

1/72 Blenheim mkIV

This one reminds me of the original kit artwork

Both look excellent

Yes, very similar to the original.  A homage perhaps.

On 8/1/2017 at 1:41 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Both 1/72 & 1/48  RAF Tomahawk boxart images have been added to the Airfix website as well.

Big ticks to both

Cheers.. Dave

Interesting choice, 73 sqn.  As colourful as the markings are I believe the squadron only received three and, as far as I can tell, they weren't used operationally.  I know they've already released Duke's 112 sqn version so maybe Caldwell's 250 sqn aircraft or a 3 RAAF or 2 or 5 SAAF might have been a better choices.  Or a maybe  UK based unit, like the 1/48th kit.  Having said that I'll probably get it to use the squadron flash on a Hurricane! 

34 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Interesting choice, 73 sqn.  As colourful as the markings are I believe the squadron only received three and, as far as I can tell, they weren't used operationally.  I know they've already released Duke's 112 sqn version so maybe Caldwell's 250 sqn aircraft or a 3 RAAF or 2 or 5 SAAF might have been a better choices.  Or a maybe  UK based unit, like the 1/48th kit.  Having said that I'll probably get it to use the squadron flash on a Hurricane! 

They did a 112 Squadron version in the Starter kit

On 01/08/2017 at 2:34 AM, trickydicky210 said:

Great, another one with a snake on the side to go with my Italeri one with a snake on the side & Almark & KP decals for Ju 87s with snakes on the side. I think I'm seeing a pattern here. :unsure::D

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Great, another one with a snake on the side to go with my Italeri one with a snake on the side & Almark & KP decals for Ju 87s with snakes on the side. I think I'm seeing a pattern here. :unsure::D

Steve.

Its all snakes and ladders with airfix these days.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, old thumper said:

Its all snakes and ladders with airfix these days.

Shame they don't include ladders.  You don't see many parked Lightnings without one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

Snakes on a Plane.

Yes, I'm a bit disappointed that they've gone for that one again. 

• Like 2

Silly point, I know, but could we agree on the point that Airfix are in a position where they are trying to sell their lowest price kits (and particularly the "Starter Sets") to newcomers to the hobby?  If we agree on that then my next question would be; hands up all of us that (in our youth) had, or otherwise lusted after, Stukas with snakes on the side, Kittyhawks with shark mouth markings or Sabres with dragons on the nose?  IMHO Airfix are making very coherent choices and, when they don't (Walrus, anyone) it's still inspired.

Edited by Dave Batt
grammer 'n' speling
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Dave Batt said:

Silly point, I know, but could we agree on the point that Airfix are in a position where they are trying to sell their lowest price kits (and particularly the "Starter Sets") to newcomers to the hobby?  If we agree on that then my next question would be; hands up all of us that (in our youth) had, or otherwise lusted after, Stukas with snakes on the side, Kittyhawks with shark mouth markings or Sabres with dragons on the nose?  IMHO Airfix are making very coherent choices and, when they don't (Walrus, anyone) it's still inspired.

Matchbox were always very good at that sort of thing, Green Hornet, Dooleybird, skull nosed P-40 and so on.

• Like 2

I was recently looking at museum library through two Frebch booklets (both modern ones) on FAFL aviation in Chad, as well as I have another at my home and Lorriain cross are indeed mostly blue, however there are some profiles on which they are red! I think it means that could be red in some cases. Namely there is a Blenhaim with red cross on fuselage. Please send me PM if you need this scheme.

Regards

J-W

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Feature on the 1/48 mustang is to come on the airfix workbench tommirow 

My copy dropped through the letterbox a couple of days ago.

I'm no Mustang expert but it looks good to me. Wasn't planning on buying this one, waiting for the Walrus, Sea Fury and Phantom, but am tempted now to pick one up when I see one.

On 03/08/2017 at 0:44 AM, stevehnz said:

Steve.

What other versions can they do though, the snake ju-87 was the only stuka that served in north africa, everybody knows that .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Saw the spitfire rebox instore today...with a noticeably  bad boxart: :mellow:

it seems they printed the boxing from a compressed image, as it has artifacts typical of image compression :

url=https://raymondbiggs.smugmug.com/Swatches/i-H86qLDH/A]20171013_130015-X2.jpg[/url