More on Airfix 2017

Denford

39 minutes ago, Denford said:

Simon  Owen (Airfix's Researcher) stated categorically at a recent presentation that there would be 'no new parts for old kits' specifically new transparancies for their Halifax.

Well that scuppers  any chance of a Dominie T2  then :(

Phil

I would say that the rather than new bits for old kits, Airfix would be better off doing completely new tools. Evidently they agree.

A new tool Halifax I could envision at some point in the future, probably a Mk III to replace their old kit, but a Dominie probably not. That I would expect one of the Eastern European manufacturers to have a go at.

Mike.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MikeR said:

A new tool Halifax I could envision at some point in the future, probably a Mk III to replace their old kit, but a Dominie probably not. That I would expect one of the Eastern European manufacturers to have a go at.

Mike.

I'd rather they produced a Mosquito and Wellington, which I'm sure will happen eventually. A Mossie has  to be on the cards....

• Like 2

A Mossie will probably be either a single stage one or pushed back with Special Hobby announcing a range of two stage Mosquitoes.

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

but a Dominie probably not. That I would expect one of the Eastern European manufacturers to have a go at.

Mike.

Amodel cant be that far away from producing a kit of a dominie, they have been covering private business jets lately .

The current Airfix Mosquito is still pretty good and does not need replacing as much as a lot of their other kits, but on the other hand a new mould may well make pots of money for Airfix. The Wellington badly needs replacing and a good kit of it should do well with limited alternatives on the market.

• Like 2

Airfix is my favourite kit manufacture from my younger days, and I do hope at some time they venture back into other subjects, as they have in their past.

I hope we do have new tools next year and they keep having the odd gamble with odd exciting types, that's what Airfix do best.

We live in the second golden age, and maybe spoiled a bit over resent years, and at some point there's a slow down.

The new Walrus and Sea Fury will sell like hot cakes, especially if up to the standards set.😊

• Like 3

I think it's a fair bet that Airfix will have something to surprise us, even if it's something that's great for some and less-so for others.

Mike.

• Like 1

Don't you think we should probably close this thread now, its was started last year to pick up the advance news of Airfix items from their Workbench webpage before they formally announced their range at the end of the year, 

Discussion's about Airfix the company or its parent Hornby should really be in the modelling news or general chat threads as this is about rumours and news of new model kits.

Yes we all know now that Hornby have had some serious difficulties, Airfix like the rest of the group have seriously downsized their product range and in this case Airfix have decided on focusing on its new tools and variations of those rater than rehash its back catalogue as most of the other European old school producers have done. A bold but wise move, the net issue with this is that the new tools do take time to perfect and get to market so the new releases so far have been re-issue and the revised tools will be next whilst the new tools everybody is really anxious for will appear towards the end of the year so were effectively in limbo.

Also with the general downturn in the trade and the time required to get those new tools presentable I guess the 2018 announcements on the Workbench won't start to appear till late in the year as well, although rest assured their researchers and developers will be beavering away on goodies for the 2018 range.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I think it's a fair bet that Airfix will have something to surprise us, even if it's something that's great for some and less-so for others.

Mike.

I think that's the case with every manufacturer Mike. They'll never please everybody. How often do you hear "Why, oh why did they do THAT  when modellers are screaming out for THIS" type comments.. In all honesty, I thought Airfix's 2017 programme was overall  a bit MEH!!. But,that's just me. However, we're getting a nice new Me 262 and, a nice new kit of the one true F-4 so, I'm happy. Oh yes, the Sea Fury is moderately nice too!!:D.

Allan

26 minutes ago, Geoff_B said:

Don't you think we should probably close this thread now, its was started last year to pick up the advance news of Airfix items from their Workbench webpage before they formally announced their range at the end of the year,

When I started this topic just after Telford, I never believed it would be going strong on Page 34 and almost 6 months later!

Just had to get this in before the Moderator closes the thread.

Just now, Denford said:

When I started this topic just after Telford, I never believed it would be going strong on Page 34 and almost 6 months later!

Just had to get this in before the Moderator closes the thread.

I sort of suggested moving it to Modelling news as still relevant,, but just not about the kits themselves anymore B)

We'll probably get another Airfix 2018 thread later in the year when they start to drop hints on their Facebook page but until then its probably wiser to wait for this years kits before we start speculation on next years, but I suspect it should still be good if limited 

I was really pleased when Airfix was doing the early jets in the one true scale, Skyhawk, Harriers, Vampires, Lightnings and I bought more than a few of each. In the past couple of years they have not produced anything I am interested in enough to buy. Most of my recent purchases are from the Far East or European makers. OK they have a Phantom coming out later in the year but I have a few Fujimi ones in the stash and would be unlikely to buy multiples.

Roll on 2018.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert said:

I was really pleased when Airfix was doing the early jets in the one true scale, Skyhawk, Harriers, Vampires, Lightnings and I bought more than a few of each. In the past couple of years they have not produced anything I am interested in enough to buy. Most of my recent purchases are from the Far East or European makers. OK they have a Phantom coming out later in the year but I have a few Fujimi ones in the stash and would be unlikely to buy multiples.

Roll on 2018.

Ah, but I bought more than a few of each of the Second World War types as I'm not really interested in early jets.

So between us we've probably saved Hornby! ^_^

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

So I predict a Battle and Hunter for 2018 and that will keep you both happy :lol:

Trevor

Which mark? :shrug:

You can't go around promising us the moon on a stick and not tell us what colour the stick will be :fight:

• Like 7

On 11/05/2017 at 10:39 AM, Albeback52 said:

I think that's the case with every manufacturer Mike. They'll never please everybody. How often do you hear "Why, oh why did they do THAT  when modellers are screaming out for THIS" type comments.. In all honesty, I thought Airfix's 2017 programme was overall  a bit MEH!!. But,that's just me. However, we're getting a nice new Me 262 and, a nice new kit of the one true F-4 so, I'm happy. Oh yes, the Sea Fury is moderately nice too!!:D.

Allan

You're right about that.  I was well chuffed about the Sea Fury announcement, until I saw the scale!

41 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

You're right about that.  I was well chuffed about the Sea Fury announcement, until I saw the scale!

:D! Scale! Schmale!. Go on! Buy it, build it, paint it, enjoy it!! You know you want to ! I'll bet a double malt to a pint of your favourite real ale that you won't be able to resist it!:cheers:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

19 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

:D! Scale! Schmale!. Go on! Buy it, build it, paint it, enjoy it!! You know you want to !

Allan

Well, as Oscar Wilde said, 'The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it'. 

1 hour ago, Aeronut said:

That's the one that use to sit outside the Humbrol premises isn't it?  If so you couldn't have chosen a better 'Hunter on a stick' for this thread.

How many little tins did it take to paint that one? 

And did they use Humbrol 33?

On 10/05/2017 at 4:56 PM, Work In Progress said:

Yes, I think the variations on the B-17 and other recently-introduced kits are "new versions of still-new kits" rather than attempts to extend the life of genuinely "old Airfix" kits.

They are designed in from day one (e.g. Shackleton AEW, Lanc versions and the no doubt soon to come Victor K2) rather than adding new parts to an older mould

On 10/05/2017 at 8:34 PM, The Wooksta! said:

A Mossie will probably be either a single stage one or pushed back with Special Hobby announcing a range of two stage Mosquitoes.

I don't think Airfix would be bothered one way or another what SH do. SH's market would be such a small part of the Airfix one.