More on Airfix 2017

Denford

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

Maybe model companys should consider more the option of kits without decals or just with general stencilling.

Because a lot of us don't use the kit decals it would save on costs for rights of using that particular scheme !!

Look for instance at the Eduard overtrees afterwards you can ad what you want....

I for instance have never used the most decals (except for review builds) that came with my kit than only the general stencilling if needed..

But nevertheless we live in a strange world of liability and rights where you all have to pay for :worry:

From my understanding this will only shift the problem to the decal producers. Of course these could do with all logos etc. as some do with swastikas - split the decals up so they only look like they should once combined from seperate decals. Oh dear...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snowen250 said:

Cor! Bet they haven't thought of doing that......!

It would surprise me if they were using this address......

The Public Relations Department

Ministry of Defence

Whitehall

and getting nowhere.   :lalala:

7 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Maybe model companys should consider more the option of kits without decals or just with general stencilling.

Because a lot of us don't use the kit decals it would save on costs for rights of using that particular scheme !!

Look for instance at the Eduard overtrees afterwards you can ad what you want....

I for instance have never used the most decals (except for review builds) that came with my kit than only the general stencilling if needed..

But nevertheless we live in a strange world of liability and rights where you all have to pay for :worry:

For the love of God, no! I get my ear bent quite enough from members of the public about why kit X doesn't come with glue and paint 'like they used to' already, without having to explain why there are no transfers either.

• Like 6

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, The Wooksta! said:

Would you?  Would you really?  You haven't thanked them for the new tool Victor by purchasing one!  All you've done since it was released is bleat on about how you can't afford one at every chance you get.  It'd be the same with a C130, a Vulcan or a Victor B1, all large aircraft that require significant costs in tooling and thus a significant cost price to recoup said outlay.  

Too many people jump up and down about how they want their own particular hobby horse holy grail kit, yet when it's released they either whinge about in accuracies or price and their wishes suddenly face cold reality and almost rarely convert into kit sales.  How many people wanted a 48th Canberra or 72nd Nimrod?  Airfix were lobbyied quite strongly and tooled both yet a year later, the stores were having to practically beg customers to take them.

Yes I would. In fact I did.Not that it is any of your business but, I now have two. Partly thanks to my partner who generously donated part of her bonus. I did however make my own personal contribution by way of a thank you. You will also doubtless be very disappointed to learn that I also thanked Airfix in recent months for (among other things) the 1/24 Typhoon (both versions) and Avro Shackleton (all large kits that required significant costs and thus significant retail prices). Again however I confess that my partner did make a part contribution to the purchase of the Typhoons. I don't know how many people wanted a 1/48 Canberra or 1/72 Nimrod but, I was personally grateful and thanked Airfix by purchasing 4 Canberras. I think I still have a Nimrod tucked away as well.

You see, I do manage to get the kits I really want eventually. Usually by dint of patience and waiting until the price drops to affordable levels.  You really haven't got a clue as to how I might react to a hypothetical Airfix C-130 or, new Vulcan but, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun speculating.

Have a nice day!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Following hornbys performance  has almost become a hobby in itself!:lol:

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/summary/company-summary/GB00B01CZ652GBGBXAMSM.html

Some modest growth for the month,  but compared  to  the  share price 5 years ago....

Oh to browse  through  their portfolios!...

One can easily change the title of this topic into " Airfix 2018 releases", majority of announced models won't be released well into 2018, and by "well" I mean August-September.

Edited by Thomas V.

On 04/05/2017 at 5:24 AM, Modelraynz said:

Following hornbys performance  has almost become a hobby in itself!:lol:

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/summary/company-summary/GB00B01CZ652GBGBXAMSM.html

Some modest growth for the month,  but compared  to  the  share price 5 years ago....

Oh to browse  through  their portfolios!...

What I find interesting there is the news report that the directors are recommending shareholders to vote against the resolution to get rid of the chairman.

• Like 1

As model makers, Airfix is a Barometer on how things going in are wonderful hobby, and Revell seem to be gaining the crown 👑.

it's May, six new tools promised in 2017. Not a sight of of them yet 😞.

Revell sneaked in with a very nice Spitfire Mk IX in 1/32,😊 and gains the upper hand, bit of a surprise.

Airfix should have been able to have a surprise themselves, but no, lot of reissued kits, we are not in 1990 land, but I fear it coming, I think some 2017 new tools, will slip into 2018😞.

More armour,ships, cars and Sci fi needed, and Airfix need to use 1/32, 1/24 car, 1/700 ships scales, and 1/35 military 😊

Much of Revell's new releases this year are ICM, Zvezda, Special Hobby etc, so when it comes to reissues Revell certainly do gain the crown. And they hardly 'sneaked in' with their 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IX.

I think also it needs to be remembered that Airfix's parent company is currently going through a very painful refinancing, and quite frankly we are lucky to get anything in a red box this year, let alone six new tools.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, T7 Models said:

I think also it needs to be remembered that Airfix's parent company is currently going through a very painful refinancing, and quite frankly we are lucky to get anything in a red box this year, let alone six new tools.

Yes, i think many of us were happy when the six new kits were revealed august - december on the airfix website and then dismayed when the  big january reveal only revealed re-issue's but given hornby's current situation and the economy in general it's a big release schedule, it is afterall six brand new tools kits and all of them are A-grade releases, there are no cheap shots (i.e. old kits with new sprues) , we have been spoiled in past years from airfix with 10-12 new tool kits every year , many of use are of the age that lived through the very barren 80's , 90's and early 2000's and we know the airfix release schedule could be hell of alot worse than it is now .

• Like 4

On 26/04/2017 at 13:01, old thumper said:

Who would know which model kits would sell best?

A good question, and no easy answer.  I think we probably have to sit on our hands and hope those that are running Hornby have got a reasonably good idea because I for one haven't got a flaming clue.  If they choose to fall back on a core range of "standards" with a proven market then that seems like a sensible short term survival strategy.  How it would play out long term is another matter as it might drive custom to manufacturers offering a more eclectic range.

On 27/04/2017 at 13:55, janneman36 said:

I wouldn't want to see this.  Whilst many dedicated kit bashers will happily fork out for alternative markings from third party suppliers or even print their own, casual and intermittent builders, especially those of us who abhor on-line shopping, are more than happy with the current arrangement.

Edited by TheLurker
Typo.
  • Like 3

The original post (back last year) was more on Airfix 2017. I think what we are hoping for now is more on Airfix 2018 in the way of reassurances for the survival of the company. From what I have read in this topic I get the idea that most posters are hoping for Airfix to become a global superpower in the kit world with a comprehensive range of beautiful kits that will stop us from being forced to buy from kits from elsewhere. Peoples sentimental love of Airfix seems almost like a type of patriotism, if we lost the Airfix name their kits would carry on but they would not feel the same in someone else's boxes.

I have to be honest and own up, I am one of these people.

Long live Airfix.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, TheLurker said:

A good question, and no easy answer.  I think we probably have to sit on our hands and hope those that are running Hornby have got a reasonably good idea because I for one haven't got a flaming clue.  If they choose to fall back on a core range of "standards" with a proven market then that seems like a sensible short term survival strategy.  How it would play out long term is another matter as it might drive custom to manufacturers offering a more eclectic range.

Nicely put. I was very reassured when I spoke to a couple of the development guys back in January. They certainly know their subject and have definitely got the enthusiasm, and hopefully the decision makers will continue to let them do their thing. This year's releases are a good mix of the tried and trusted (Me 262, P-51, B-25), some crowd pleasers (Sea Fury, Phantom) and 'it's worth a punt' (Walrus). And that's just the new moulds. I think that for the next year or two, while the refinancing kicks in, new subjects may not be spectacular in choice, but assuming that Hornby come through this period then the diversity will pick up again.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

As model makers, Airfix is a Barometer on how things going in are wonderful hobby, and Revell seem to be gaining the crown 👑.

it's May, six new tools promised in 2017. Not a sight of of them yet 😞.

Revell sneaked in with a very nice Spitfire Mk IX in 1/32,😊 and gains the upper hand, bit of a surprise.

Airfix should have been able to have a surprise themselves, but no, lot of reissued kits, we are not in 1990 land, but I fear it coming, I think some 2017 new tools, will slip into 2018😞.

More armour,ships, cars and Sci fi needed, and Airfix need to use 1/32, 1/24 car, 1/700 ships scales, and 1/35 military 😊

If all kits were the same size, they would all come at regular intervals.  The release of two large kits (B-17 and Victor) cannot but impact on the schedule for 2017 and indeed 2018.  I believe too that there was a fall in the number of designers at the end of last year.  All in all, Airfix have done very well in their 2017 programme, even if it is 'padded out' with re-issues.

More armour, ships, cars Sci fi definitely NOT needed nor 1/32, which Airfix have officially said the definitely won't tool together with 1/144 airliners.  Forget too the ships, 1/35 Military and 1/76 railway accessories.  Expect them to stick to that which they do best, indeed superbly: 1/72 and 1/48 WWll and Cold War aircraft.  Let others go for Luftwaffe '46, Gundam etc and good luck to them; I won't be buying any.

By sticking with their proven success, they can produce creditable business plans and persuade the HH Bank Manager to extend their overdraft.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

OK the basic kit may not be all that old but the RAF Fortress Mk III due out soon is just that.

The b-17 is not one of the six new tools of which i was speaking, it is one of the re-issues , the six are 1/48th sea fury, p-51d,  and walrus , 1/72 phantom, b-25 mitchell, and me-262 .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gavingav said:

( re new/2017 releases)  '... there are no cheap shots (i.e. old kits with new sprues) ....'

Simon  Owen (Airfix's Researcher) stated categorically at a recent presentation that there would be 'no new parts for old kits' specifically new transparancies for their Halifax.

• Like 2