More on Airfix 2017

Denford

17 hours ago, gavingav said:

At this point i am wondering even if humbrol are still a going cencern, they have had no new products for two years , hornby seems to have all but given up on them, considering the quality of the paints(both enamel and acrylic) maybe that is not a bad thing, they seemed to have that big relaunch for the enamels with the rlm colours being made in the uk by rustins and the paint quality was even worse than ever, maybe it's time airfix just repacked vallejo paints like a lot of other companies do

No thanks, I actually want my paints to stick to my models!

They had a big advert recently claiming that 60% is now produced in the U.K.  The difference between Humbrol and other companies in the Hornby family is that Humbrol doesn't need constant new releases to keep the interest up and flowing.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

Can't say I've ever had a problem with a can of Humbrol enamel paint.

You're very fortunate then. I've virtually given up on them.

Great shame, but they're just too inconsistent these days. Last pot I opened was translucent sludge. 

• Like 1

Most of the recent Humbrols I've bought have been useable, given a little work. The matt black is akin to Campbell's condensed soup! It's very, very thick and needs considerable thinning. It does go a long way though.

The No. 56 Aluminium was awful, being simultaneously too dark and too translucent.

At least with Humbrol you get a reasonable match to the required colour, not something  one can say about Vallejo. I can pick a Vallejo-painted Temperate Land Scheme out of a lineup at twenty paces, the colours being that far off.

But yes, it would be nice if Humbrol paints were consistently reliable.

I have been using Humbrol enamels since I started modelling and never had an issue. I still have tinlets from 30 years ago in prime condition and use them to this day. Quality fell off a little when manufacturing went to China, but now it's back in the UK and the quality is back.

The key I find to using them is shake well, stir well, use the correct enamel thinner, and lastly and most importantly clean the rim of the tinlet and lid before closing to provide a good air tight seal when not in use.

I wonder if there's a chance that Airfix is going to release their Victor as a K.2 tanker. I do not have the B.2 kit so I cannot tell if there are any indications of possible other versions. What do you think?

I would not want to start a conversion using the Matchbox/Revell (+ some aftermarket) only to find out mid-built that Airfix has just announced......

Ingo

1 hour ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

I wonder if there's a chance that Airfix is going to release their Victor as a K.2 tanker?

I believe that they most certainly will. The parts breakdown does suggest that a K.2 is very possible and would not be surprised to see it as part of there 2018 range.

My suggestion would be to hold off for a short while.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, Dave Fleming said:

No thanks, I actually want my paints to stick to my models!

They had a big advert recently claiming that 60% is now produced in the U.K.  The difference between Humbrol and other companies in the Hornby family is that Humbrol doesn't need constant new releases to keep the interest up and flowing.

The only trouble with that Dave is that they should probably try a little harder other paint manufacturers are coming out with fairly accurate paints and in sets to suit the models out there. I picked the Hataka sets because they did the likes of RAF Blue Grey and Helo Drab so I can finally do RN Sea Kings and Wessex's. There RAF set included the lichen green for the GR5's undersides and the F-35 grey. Airfix shouldn't be having to instruct modellers to mix paints for their new models as surly Humbrol have the time to get a colour match and produce the correct colour !

1 hour ago, T7 Models said:

I've recently started to airbrush Humbrol enamels, and I've been quite pleased with the results.

I love these in an airbrush, they have a very good and hard finish..on a brush they are less likeable...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, janneman36 said:

I love these in an airbrush, they have a very good and hard finish..on a brush they are less likeable...

Humbrol enamels are awesome in an airbrush! B)

6 hours ago, old thumper said:

Perhaps this is why as a dedicated airbrusher I have been confused as to why some people don't like Humbrol enamels.

Having said that the new aluminium shades are still rubbish. 

What aluminium shades? I recently bought 56 (did not have had that in years) and 27001 in order to test it.One of those?

8 hours ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

What aluminium shades? I recently bought 56 (did not have had that in years) and 27001 in order to test it.One of those?

I was talking about the aluminium/silver paints which are now more of a speckled grey.

13 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Well I'm a 'conventional brush' painter and I get on with Humbrols well.

Maybe it's the 30+ years of knowing they do what they say on the side of the tinlet!

Wish they would do RAF Blue Grey though.

I though raf blue grey was the same wartime colour that hum96 is?

6 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I though raf blue grey was the same wartime colour that hum96 is?

96 is the RAF uniform colour. RAF Blue Grey is a BS381c shade, darker than 96 and previously used overall on RN helicopters.

http://_www.nspcoatings.co.uk/powder-coating-colour-sample.php?key=101&termRef=BS381C%20-%20RAF%20Blue/Grey

John

On 28/03/2017 at 10:32 PM, old thumper said:

Perhaps this is why as a dedicated airbrusher I have been confused as to why some people don't like Humbrol enamels.

Having said that the new aluminium shades are still rubbish. 

I've gone off Humbrol enamels because of inconsistent colour, inconsistent consistency and a number of tins that seem to lack the correct amount of drying chemical and take several days to dry.

I like the way some of them spray, though some don't seem to  spray quite so well when trying to do very fine work.

Edited by Tbolt

9 hours ago, John said:

96 is the RAF uniform colour. RAF Blue Grey is a BS381c shade, darker than 96 and previously used overall on RN helicopters.

John

...and, much more importantly to me, COD Gannets!

Mike Starmer's recommendation for RAFBG is "

"R.A.F. Blue-Grey No. 33 

Mix:  77 + 67 in ratio 4:1 or 112 only but satin varnish overall"

http://www.mafva.net/other pages/Starmer camo.htm

Humbrol 112 used to be Matt Tarmac but was recently re-released as Matt Field Blue:

https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/112-field-blue-matt-14ml-enamel-paint.html

I don't know if the colours are exactly the same but an eyeball check suggests they're pretty close. This is "legacy" 112 on my Albion Refueller:

Albion16_zpspustegch.jpg

Looks better after a bit of gloss or stain varnish.

John

• Like 1