More on Airfix 2017

Denford

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Airfix have been improving the fineness of their panel lines, and I don't think that the Spitfire Mk.I is the best that they have achieved.  For example, their Dornier and Defiant appear to be better in this respect, but the plastic is no harder.  I don't see why the hardness of the plastic need make a difference.  After all, it is fluid when it flows into the mould - but I'm not a plastics moulding expert.  I suspect the depth/width of panel lines is largely a matter of fashion.  Some modellers apparently like huge gaps, some don't.  Hopefully the trend is swinging away from such things to a more realistic appearance.

I wasn't saying it was the best, just the sharpness of the detail is very similar to the P-40, as in not as good as the top manufactures. I agree, I don't know why the hardness of the plastic would effect the sharpness.

The new plastic quality is far better than what it has just replaced, not just the reasons mentioned above, but also for sanding and careful cutting control.

Hoping the reissued Shack will be molded using the new plastic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

The problem with the 'softer' plastic was that it wasn't forming properly and was shrinking. That caused the intermittent fit  problems on some kits, such as the Blenheim.

I wonder if that was the issue with mine. Despite my best efforts, after gluing the wings and spars on, I realized that one wing was higher than the other!

18 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've found some of the recent kits very fragile in their small parts & the plastic somewhat biscuity, to the extent I wondered if some of their molds were using other than steel in their construction.

Steve.

Now you've done it! You've made me think of Monty Python's blancmange sketch... :wink:

12 hours ago, neilh said:

and yes, I always have to do some fettling even on Tamiya kits

Remember, I referred to Matchbox plastic - that was never supposed to be fettled with - but to be slapped together and played with while the glue was still drying.

But honestly, I do find that hard plastic presents a better surface for finishing.

• Like 1

When i compared a Revell and Airfix - Airfix looks better.(But IMHO Revell "Shacky"was overal nicest) I don´t know why Revell have poor moulding quality. Both company are eldest on the plastic kits World. I don´t understand. And i think a good new is returning of Airfix to United Kingdoms. Made in India is history ! Very GOOD Airfix ! :) (Yup, I´am a Britophil)

But... i still don´t understand why Airfix don´t make a Hurricane Mk. I "Late" with metal Wing. And 1/32 British Subject :( And for this year not another car scale airplane ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

The new plastic quality is far better than what it has just replaced, not just the reasons mentioned above, but also for sanding and careful cutting control.

Hoping the reissued Shack will be molded using the new plastic.

James, 

I beleve that the Airfix AEW2 Shackleton boxtop does show the 'made in uk' logo, so it's a safe bet that this kit will have the new hard, dark plastic as well. 

It'll make a good comparison to the Mk.2 Indian moulded kit. 

Cheers. Dave

• Like 2

... whilst we are at it. 

The Made in U.K. logo so far also appears on the 2017 issued Spitfire XIX, Swordfish, Bf110 and 1/48 Sea Hurricane that has just had its box top revealed. Now that's a cracking bit of art work Mr. Tooby - http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/hawker-sea-hurricane-mk-ib-1-48.html

so perhaps new plastic will be included with these moulds as well. 

Cheers.. Dave

1 hour ago, AlCZ said:

When i compared a Revell and Airfix - Airfix looks better.(But IMHO Revell "Shacky"was overal nicest) I don´t know why Revell have poor moulding quality. Both company are eldest on the plastic kits World. I don´t understand. And i think a good new is returning of Airfix to United Kingdoms. Made in India is history ! Very GOOD Airfix ! :) (Yup, I´am a Britophil)

But... i still don´t understand why Airfix don´t make a Hurricane Mk. I "Late" with metal Wing. And 1/32 British Subject :( And for this year not another car scale airplane ?

Completely agree with you about the metal wing Hurricane.  It is very strange Airfix haven't released one. 

12 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

The problem with the 'softer' plastic was that it wasn't forming properly and was shrinking. That caused the intermittent fit  problems on some kits, such as the Blenheim.

It didn't do a lot for getting small components off the sprue either as anyone who has broken the control column & aerial on the latest 1/72 P-51D can testify.

Steve.

9 hours ago, AlCZ said:

They just need to get the quality up though - fasteners merging into panel lines, raised rivets not coming out and some sink marks in promenant places all need to be improved. 

A point I think needs making about the "made in the UK" logo on the box is according to one of the Airfix representative at Telford 2016, all the moulds are still being made in the same place as before, but some are now being injected with plastic in the UK. Apparently they needed the security of splitting production across two locations. So any improvement in quality isn't because the moulds are cut somewhere new. 

As one that doesn't fetish over tiny details the plastic has not been a problem to be. The thing that annoys me is when Airfix mould guns and aerials into wings and fuselages as with their 1.72 P-40 kit, I like to add the sticky out parts at the end of the build as they brake off otherwise.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Diggers11 said:

A point I think needs making about the "made in the UK" logo on the box is according to one of the Airfix representative at Telford 2016, all the moulds are still being made in the same place as before, but some are now being injected with plastic in the UK. Apparently they needed the security of splitting production across two locations. So any improvement in quality isn't because the moulds are cut somewhere new. 

I doubt that there's anywhere in the UK that they can get the moulds cut at a competitive price, or that they are yet to find someone who can do it. I can't see any security advantage in splitting the work site, principally capability, cost and continuity advantages

Shane

17 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

... whilst we are at it. 

The Made in U.K. logo so far also appears on the 2017 issued Spitfire XIX, Swordfish, Bf110 and 1/48 Sea Hurricane that has just had its box top revealed. Now that's a cracking bit of art work Mr. Tooby - http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/hawker-sea-hurricane-mk-ib-1-48.html

so perhaps new plastic will be included with these moulds as well. 

Cheers.. Dave

That new sea hurricane box artwork is very tasty indeed. I am glad to see they have ditched the yellow tail for an Op Ironclad example.

Still have to do the 1/48 P40 but the first "new Airfix" kit that caused a "wow" was their 1/48 Emil. I'm quite eager to see if I like their new styrene. The spit VB is their best I did until now but for such soft plastic, I can't understand how it'so "breakable".

Until now AMK plastic is the best for me  (in terms of crispness and still easy to sand and retaining some flexibility).

I like Tamigawa kits but never was fond of the plastic's hardness.

Or am I to be classified in the never happy category ?

What I'm sure of is that I'm really happy seeing my second childhood beloved kitmaking company doing great kits again and back home. Many will join their brethern in my stash (sorry guys, but Matchbox came first and if you want the whole truth Monogram third)

Edited by PattheCat

Canberra mould was converted into a B-57 during the Palitoy era and IIRC the SS France mould was lost a long time ago.

Paul Harrison

OOPs! Wrong Canberra! LOL! Can't remember if the Canberra ship mould was damaged or it was just discontinued.

Paul Harrison

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Was it the Canberra or France for which the moulds were lost/destroyed/worn out?

Trevor

It was the SS France moulds that were lost:

SS_France_130.JPG

Dave

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Blimey - just noticed that the AIRFIX B-17G + USAAF Bomber Resupply set boxing is not a gift set so no paint brushes or acrylic paints included...  

At this point i am wondering even if humbrol are still a going cencern, they have had no new products for two years , hornby seems to have all but given up on them, considering the quality of the paints(both enamel and acrylic) maybe that is not a bad thing, they seemed to have that big relaunch for the enamels with the rlm colours being made in the uk by rustins and the paint quality was even worse than ever, maybe it's time airfix just repacked vallejo paints like a lot of other companies do

Edited by gavingav1