More on Airfix 2017

Denford

16 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I like your connection, however I have to add that 'I and the Walrus' was a hit from 1968. You're still a year off I'm afraid. 

And just before this gets too silly - while Airfix area concentrating on aircraft, there's no chance of a Yellow Submarine either!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Nor a Magical Mystery Tour bus (or even a Tragical History Tour bus).

• Like 1

How about a BEATLES Westland Whirlwind (G-ANFH)? Didn't they have a Chieftain or Centurion tank in one of their films too?

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon

On 15/01/2017 at 5:46 PM, jenko said:

I remember the aircraft coming in to RAF Manston as a kid........................ thanks guys I now feel very old      :pipe:

Dick

Hi All 

I lived at Manston in the from 1960 until 66 and was an air cadet at that time with 2433 (Ramsgate) Sqdn and watch the B 17 Flying Fortress flying around while filming the War Lover with Steve McQueen in 1962 and after it being abandoned often climbed all over it on the old loop hangar dispersal at the Acol end of the airfield. 

Geoff Arnold 

On 15/01/2017 at 5:46 PM, jenko said:

• Like 2

Hi All 

I lived at Manston in the from 1960 until 66 and was an air cadet at that time with 2433 (Ramsgate) Sqdn and watch the B 17 Flying Fortress flying around while filming the War Lover with Steve McQueen in 1962 and after it being abandoned often climbed all over it on the old loop hangar dispersal at the Acol end of the airfield. 

Geoff Arnold 

Those were the days Geoff.  Wish I paid made more attention at the time.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to see Airfix do their magic on the V-22 Osprey, Hasegawa took the cheap option and completely neglected the interior, not even an open rear ramp option, Airfix would probably also provide the wing swing and blade fold, F-35B would also be a treat!

• Like 1

On January 17, 2017 at 8:26 AM, GreenDragon said:

How about a BEATLES Westland Whirlwind (G-ANFH)? Didn't they have a Chieftain or Centurion tank in one of their films too?

Paul Harrison

I believe that was 'Help!'

• Like 1

On 17/01/2017 at 10:10 AM, RHWinter said:

Well, some BEATLES stuff done by Airfix would be great for me! They COULD do that! Coo-coo-ca-choo and YEAH, YEAH, YEAH!

Sorry to be a pedant but I believe it's actually Goo goo ga choob.  Is that the lyrical equivalent of rivet counting?

• Like 6

On 14/01/2017 at 11:37, Albeback52 said:

I was in my first year at secondary school. Now I am a year away from  retiring! Scary thought!! Not really bothered whether or not Airfix or anybody else does anything. I'd rather see a 50th anniversary version of the film with all deleted scenes/footage restored.

Allan

The version of the BoB that is currently available on DVD and BD, is the same as the 1969 theatrical release, there is no footage to be restored. Any film will have outakes, but they are outakes for a reason. The film was meant to be longer than it originally was, but those scenes were never filmed as producers ran out of money, the film was way over budget before it entered post production..

It could do with a good BD restorations on a par with "2001: A Space Odyssey", the current BD of the BoB is woeful.

Thomo.

23 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Would like to see Airfix do their magic on the V-22 Osprey, Hasegawa took the cheap option and completely neglected the interior, not even an open rear ramp option, Airfix would probably also provide the wing swing and blade fold, F-35B would also be a treat!

Very, very unlikely indeed: just not the sort of thing that Airfix are currently tooling.  I suspect that Hasegawa only tooled it because it's in service with the Japanese Military.

But why should it have to be Airfix tooling it?  Couldn't the subject, with or without the features you mention, be tooled by Revell, Italeri, Trumpeter or anyone else for that matter.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2017 at 10:00 AM, Meatbox8 said:

Sorry to be a pedant but I believe it's actually Goo goo ga choob.  Is that the lyrical equivalent of rivet counting?

Sorry to be pedantic but I believe it's "goo goo g'joob"  ;)  

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 2

I now open a lid of huge Airfix Victor box - and woooow ! Very nice kit ! And upper wing part from one piece is - masterpiece on first look ! And "Fix" have now a new sort of plastic ? Is more hardest (IMHO) as plastic used in their earliest kit...  Very nice and sharp details.... More unicated British subject Airfix ! Well done ! Victor is gorgeous bomber ! I need a new tool Vulcan !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AlCZ said:

And "Fix" have now a new sort of plastic ? Is more hardest (IMHO) as plastic used in their earliest kit... 

That is very good news indeed! Is my vision blurred by nostalgia, or am I right in thinking it took a lot of contemporary kit manufacturers quite some time to equal the quality of plastic (and decals!) Matchbox produced in the seventies (and some haven't got there yet as we're speaking)? You can count Frog in too, if you want to. As far as Airfix is concerned, I think only the "baby-blue" plastic was pretty hard, the light grey and silver-coloured being softer.

Why is this? Is it like the old Humbrol enamel of legends that covered in just one (brushed) layer and is now banned from the face of the earth by silly legislation unable to distinguish between professional users who use liters of paint as opposed to hobbyists who use milliliters? Why is it the Japanese (such as Hasegawa and Fujimi) have always used this kind of hard plastic? I'm sorry if "one fool can ask more questions than...".

• Like 1

I've never had any problem with the so-called softer Airfix plastic: it works perfectly well for me.  If you like hard plastic let me recommend the Delta S.55 in its last incarnation, but you will need diamond-tipped tools to work it, as conventional X-Acto/Swann Morton aren't up to the job!

As for "silly legislation", let's have more asbestos in the walls, lead in the paint and mercury in the fish. Who needs seat belts and airbags in cars - there are too many people around anyway, so increasing the death rate is a good thing, surely?

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

As for "silly legislation", let's have more asbestos in the walls, lead in the paint and mercury in the fish. Who needs seat belts and airbags in cars - there are too many people around anyway, so increasing the death rate is a good thing, surely?

Euhm, no, that's not where I'm coming from at all... I just remember my dad, who was an arts teacher and is still an artist painter, stockpiling these little Schmincke pots of lead-white and Venetian yellow when lead was banned 30-odd years ago. It's a good thing house-painters who used (and inhaled) the stuff by the bag-load were forced to only use titanium white thereafter, it's a shame artists were bereft of some unique colours that could not be matched by using other pigments and which they bought in 100 ml quantities...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivand said:

Euhm, no, that's not where I'm coming from at all... I just remember my dad, who was an arts teacher and is still an artist painter, stockpiling these little Schmincke pots of lead-white and Venetian yellow when lead was banned 30-odd years ago. It's a good thing house-painters who used (and inhaled) the stuff by the bag-load were forced to only use titanium white thereafter, it's a shame artists were bereft of some unique colours that could not be matched by using other pigments and which they bought in 100 ml quantities...

I get what you mean about things being ok so long as they are sold and used in small quantities with appropriate health warnings. What annoys me are those selfish anglers who got lead shot banned by misusing it to poison innocent swans rather than the weighting down of nose wheels which it was originally meant for.

• Like 9

Good news indeed about a harder plastic in the Victor kit, I'll probably never buy one on cost/size considerations but hopefully that same plastic will trickle down to other kits now production is going back to the UK. I've found some of the recent kits very fragile in their small parts & the plastic somewhat biscuity, to the extent I wondered if some of their molds were using other than steel in their construction.

Steve.

• Like 1

No you are not the only fan. It certainly made fettling and re scribing much easier than for example Trumpeter or Tamiya plastic , and yes, I always have to do some fettling even on Tamiya kits-  I must be a messy builder.  Downside is that the detail such as gear legs and IP's could be a tad soft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neilh said:

No you are not the only fan. It certainly made fettling and re scribing much easier than for example Trumpeter or Tamiya plastic , and yes, I always have to do some fettling even on Tamiya kits-  I must be a messy builder.  Downside is that the detail such as gear legs and IP's could be a tad soft.

I'm not so sure about that - the detail on Airfix's Spit Mk. I/V is just as sharp as the P-40 with the new plastic. Maybe it's more to do with the mould than the plastic.

Airfix have been improving the fineness of their panel lines, and I don't think that the Spitfire Mk.I is the best that they have achieved.  For example, their Dornier and Defiant appear to be better in this respect, but the plastic is no harder.  I don't see why the hardness of the plastic need make a difference.  After all, it is fluid when it flows into the mould - but I'm not a plastics moulding expert.  I suspect the depth/width of panel lines is largely a matter of fashion.  Some modellers apparently like huge gaps, some don't.  Hopefully the trend is swinging away from such things to a more realistic appearance.

Heads up guys, airfix have changed the rules for the airfix club, many where aware they were swapping peoples £20 voucher for club models to a 15 gift card valid for the whole range, they've now made it default for those who join the club, otherwise the rules are the same.

Edited by PhantomBigStu