More on Airfix 2017

Denford

51 minutes ago, IanC said:

Blimey! 50 years since the Battle of Britain Film's release? My dad took me to see it at the cinema...

Not sure Airfix will be too interested, though. But maybe they'll surprise us with a new multipose figure set - Skipper, Canfield, Harvey, Falke, Fohn etc  :lol:

Not forgetting Susannah York, of course: 'I've booked a room...it could be marvellous'

:D

Do not forget Mr Warwick :D

• Like 4

I'm happy to settle for a 1/12 'Pitchfork' Pete exchanging "Goot Affterrnoon" pleasantries with poor parachuting Polish Petr.. 

Pitchfork prongs in PE please!! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 4

Don't mean to be a spielverderber but Wiki says it was released in Sept 1969. I remember seeing it at the Orpheus on Northumbria Drive, Henleaze (not a flea pit showing has-been movies) around 1970. 

Yes, an uncut full length version would be great. 

Tony

I remember them filming it at Duxford during the summer. I was at the paddling pool near Marshall's Airport, Cambridge and still get transported back 47 years every time I see multiple Spitfires flying across the sky!

Oh no, i bought an F.8 Meteor in non Korean War a month ago  :/  :( .... Hmmm, OK, i look´for IAF decals :P.

But... few quarter scale kits ( i like a RoyalNavy Phantom and all variants of Blenheim, i don´t understand why this important types isn´t released in bigger scale. My dream is new tool B-17 and B-24.) 

And no 1/24 aircraft ? I still hope in Spitfire Mk. IX.... 

2 hours ago, tony.t said:

Don't mean to be a spielverderber but Wiki says it was released in Sept 1969. I remember seeing it at the Orpheus on Northumbria Drive, Henleaze (not a flea pit showing has-been movies) around 1970.

Released in '69, yes, but made in the summer of '68, which had rather less-than-average summery weather, which was why so many of the aerial scenes were filmed out of the UK.

On 14/01/2017 at 20:21, T7 Models said:

Will the Section Officer Harvey figure come with optional skirt on/skirt off parts?

Just asking...

Complete with 1940s hairstyle - not. 

• Like 2

I remember the aircraft coming in to RAF Manston as a kid........................ thanks guys I now feel very old      :pipe:

Dick

• Like 1

On 13/01/2017 at 9:16 PM, Aeronut said:

The point is that relying on Lidar isn't magic solution it's made out to be and therefore subjects that have no manufacturers drawings or existing examples should still be candidates for kits. Also I've had practical experience of young CAD jockeys being unable to read the old hand drawn technical drawings so I'm suspicious of that part of Airfix's plan as well.

IIRC they didn't Lidar the Blenheim. 

1 hour ago, Albert RN said:

And we wonder why we can't get more female modellers into the hobby. 

Oh come on. I don't think one cheeky screenshot from a terribly innocent scene (by modern standards) in a much-loved film is going to make one jot of difference to the dearth of women engaged in the hobby.

I think you'll find that's down to all the aircraft, tanks, ships and guns.;)

Anyway, I've seen more risque material on the side of Mustangs and B-17s! :wub:

• Like 7

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, T7 Models said:

I find it truly amazing that some people are under the impression that Airfix (and other companies) perform no market research at all, but just half heartedly bring out what they think will sell. There is much discussion concerning future kit subjects within the companies, and many factors have a part to play, not least the cost of bringing it to market. I have heard the average cost is £1,000 per part, and as that was a few years ago it is probably more now. It is no small commitment, so kit manufacturers will only bring out what will sell in the markets they have a presence in. For Airfix this is predominantly WW2 and post war aircraft, largely British but with German and US types as well.

With regard to the Phantom, it has topped the Airfix SMW poll for 2014 and 2015, and I understand that there were a number of requests last year as well, obviously from people who had not seen what was actually displayed on their stall. And if the test shot is anything to go by, I have no doubts that there will be a few Fujimi Phantoms appearing on eBay once the Airfix kit is available. Furthermore, basing current Airfix output on what they were producing six or seven years ago is pointless.

If you want value for money, by the way, the Airfix Victor is much more worthy of a £50-60 price tag than the latest boxings of the ancient Hasegawa P-2 Neptune, but that is what you will have to pay if you want one.

Very valid comment. I also could not help but notice also, especially on the Airfix Farce Book page the number of modellers whining about the lack of ships/cars/motor bikes/ AFVs & other pet subjects. Well, like you I figure that Airfix have done the right thing in concentrating on the items that they know for sure are going to sell well. If anybody is looking for something other than aircraft, then  there are plenty of other manufacturers out there who will probably cater for their needs.  I don't exclusively model aircraft but, if I want a King Tiger tank, an  HMS Dreadnought or an Airbus A-350 then, I can find them elsewhere. Simples! Sorry to sound so brutal about it but, C'est La Vie!:lol:. I have no particular loyalty to Airfix and, Revell will be getting more of my hard earned than Airfix this year. While a bit underwhelmed by the Airfix 2017 programme, there are two items (Me -262 & Phantom) which I will be buying so, there's something in it for me. I'd have to be honest and say that while a bit disappointing personally, it is a good, mixed bag overall and I think that it would be difficult (at least for aircraft enthusiasts) NOT to find something of interest - unless of course they are civil aircraft fans!

Allan

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tony.t said:

It is definitely fifty years since the Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour.

i'm in for the Airfix Walrus - coo coo cachoo

Tony

I like your connection, however I have to add that 'I and the Walrus' was a hit from 1968. You're still a year off I'm afraid. 

And just before this gets too silly - while Airfix area concentrating on aircraft, there's no chance of a Yellow Submarine either!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1