More on Airfix 2017

Denford

16 hours ago, IanC said:

Yes, I'm the same. Never built one or even had one in the stash. I'll only ever build one so I think it has to have a torpedo and be from Taranto or possibly the Bismarck action. Not sure if aftermarket decals exist for the latter. But anyway, the new boxing will do nicely.

Not sure about AM for a Sink the Bismarck version but Airfix did their own: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/100361-airfix-a50133-fairey-swordfish-mk-1

The aircraft is K8375/2Q from Ark Royal.

53 minutes ago, Terrain Safe said:

What has happened to the 1/48 Stuka? Now late 2017!! It was supposed to be available before the end of last year. The guys on the Airfix stand were miserable that they didn't have them for Telford, and now another year!! I can't wait that long.

That's the B2 version, the B1 is due in the next few weeks

54 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

That's the B2 version, the B1 is due in the next few weeks

I read your comment (without) reading the one above....

My heart just took a slight pause as I thought you may have been referreing to a Victor B.1 - alas it's only that noisey German cranked wing nuisance from WW2.

Best I get back to work I think.

Cheers.. Dave.    

• Like 6

On 8 January 2017 at 1:47 AM, Uncle Dick said:

But why no Dogfight Doubles in the 2017 line up????????

Yes it is up to Uncle Dick to ask the hard questions again! :D

Might have to settle for some surprise "anniversary gift sets" then :)

On that basis 1942 would be the year making it the 75th Anniversaries

What would you like to see in a:

Doolittle Raid 75th Anniversary gift set?  (I do not know of any dog fights in this raid) so may be 2 or 3 B-25 in the one box? :P

B-25 + ? + ? ...

Operation Torch 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 + ? + ? ...

Battle for Guadalcanal 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 + Wildcat + Zero + Kate + US Marines + Jap Infantry + Willys Jeep + LCVP + (no cannot afford this gift set with any more additions)

Battle for Stalingrad 75th Anniversary Gift Set

Soviet B-25 + ? + ? ...

Battle for El Alamein 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 + ? + ? ...

Operation Cerberus (Channel Dash) 75th Anniversary Gift Set

RAF B-25 + RAF B-17 (Yes I know of no accounts of RAF B-25 or B-17 in this operation but what the hell we need some RAF decals) + String Bag + Spit + Bf109 + FW190 + E boat + RAF rescue Launch + oh bugger I can't afford this ruddy gift set anymore!

Battle of Midway 75th Anniversary Gift Set

Visiting B-25 :P + Early version B-17 (surprise new tool modification) + all the usual suspects

Battle for Milne Bay 75th Anniversary Gift Set 

DUCTH NEIAF B-25 (Add usual caveat for all you politically correct numpties) + RAAF Beaufighter (Excluisve parts release:)) +...

Battle for the Aleutians 75th Anniversary Gift Set 

B-25 + Early B-17 + (another new tool surprise for 2017 a RUFE) +...

Battle for the Bismark Sea 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 + Early B-17 + ...

Battle for Bataan 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 + Early B-17 + ...

Operation Jubilee (Dieppe Raid) 75th Anniversary Gift Set

B-25 (usual caveat for politically correct numpties) + usual suspects

Queens Silver Jubilee 40th Anniversary Gift Set

RAF Historic Flight B-25 + Royal Navy Phantom + ...

+ many more gift set options (did you notice that each gift set must have the B-25? :wub: :D ?)

You forgot Operation Pedestal

B-25 + Sea Hurricane + Ju87 + SM 79.

• Like 1

I really wish Airfix attempted to break into segments where it would have a comparative advantage, say French aircraft (hugely neglected in 1/72) rather than do aircraft that have been done by others in the past and that they should have the humility to know they will not improve on. Frankly Airfix detail is still nowhere near up to par with 80/90s Fujimi or Hasegawa so making an effort with a Phantom or a B-25 seems... odd. Ok, the Phantom will be a British variant and there's a UK market for it but a B-25? An A-26 would have made so much more sense since only Italeri has done one and that's probably the only mainstream kit manufacturer that Airfix can beat out on quality. Many other options one could think would have been better choices.

Then there's the issue that Airfix has been hiking its prices to levels that frankly don't correspond to quality. £9.99 for their absolutely atrocious Bf-109G? One of the worst kits in 1/72 in recent memory? What a joke.

All in all, I'm really disappointed with the offerings for 2017 in 1/72 by the major manufacturers. You really wonder who their marketing people are whether they really have a clue on what modellers want.

• Like 1

Judging by the sales of the Victor, Lancasters, Meteor, Defiant, to name a few recent releases I'd say yes they do know what people want. The Lancasters for example are probably the best models available, the same could be said about the P40.

• Like 4

Phantome - I don't want to sound rude, however basing your judgement on the old-ish 109G is not worth mentioning here. 

The quality and accuracy of Airfix kits has skyrocketed since then. Go out and grab yourself a little JP, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If money's not an option, shell out and get a new Victor - you'll be blown away!! 

Cheers... Dave 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Phantome said:

Frankly Airfix detail is still nowhere near up to par with 80/90s Fujimi or Hasegawa so making an effort with a Phantom or a B-25 seems... odd.

Have you seen the CAD imagery for these two kits? My Fujimi 1/72 FG.1 certainly didn't seem to have a dish in the nose! Take a look in either Gnat's box, or the Lancasters. They're absolutely gorgeous kits that build like the proverbial dream. That 109G is the last of the old class and has been surpassed - by leaps and bounds - with EVERY release.

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 4

Having built just about every new tool 1/72 in the period since the bf109g and indeed I think a few earlier, I can say with the possible exception of the hurricane iic it is the worst of them, new airfix were wobbly at there best in the first few years, but the turnout since 2013 is so much better, 

• Like 3

..... and another thought, not sure why anyone would question a new tool early B-25. The competition in 1/72 is not exactly state of the art now is it? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 6

On 2017-01-07 at 8:47 PM, Uncle Dick said:

But why no Dogfight Doubles in the 2017 line up????????

Yes it is up to Uncle Dick to ask the hard questions again! :D

Might have to settle for some surprise "anniversary gift sets" then :)

On that basis 1942 would be the year making it the 75th Anniversaries

What would you like to see in a:

Battle for Stalingrad 75th Anniversary Gift Set

Soviet B-25 + ? + ? ...

Soviet B-25 +, naturally, a surprise, as-yet unannounced, new-tool Yak-9! + whatever - the Me-109G from a few years ago, I suppose...

John

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Phantome said:

An A-26 would have made so much more sense since only Italeri has done one and that's probably the only mainstream kit manufacturer that Airfix can beat out on quality.

I was sure somewhere in the depths of my mind I remembered the first time I ever heard of the A26 was in an Airfix catalogue. Sure enough according to Scalemates the only 1:72 A26 Invader was, yes, Airfix - originally released in 1971! So unless Scalemates have missed an Italeri kit Airfix are the only mainstream manufacturer to release one. Of course Italeri and Airfix have swapped moulds in the past, but then Italeri's version would be of a similar quality?

10 hours ago, Phantome said:

Frankly Airfix detail is still nowhere near up to par with 80/90s Fujimi or Hasegawa so making an effort with a Phantom or a B-25 seems... odd. Ok, the Phantom will be a British variant and there's a UK market for it but a B-25? An A-26 would have made so much more sense since only Italeri has done one and that's probably the only mainstream kit manufacturer that Airfix can beat out on quality. Many other options one could think would have been better choices.

Then there's the issue that Airfix has been hiking its prices to levels that frankly don't correspond to quality. £9.99 for their absolutely atrocious Bf-109G? One of the worst kits in 1/72 in recent memory? What a joke.

All in all, I'm really disappointed with the offerings for 2017 in 1/72 by the major manufacturers. You really wonder who their marketing people are whether they really have a clue on what modellers want.

Detail and quality? Have a look at the Airfix Lancaster, Hurricane, Defiant, Typhoon, Wildcat, Stuka, He 111, Do 17Z, Beaufighter, Kate and B-17 for starters - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  

Price? Have you seen how much Hasegawa and Italeri are charging for their kits?  

Subject? Well as far as Airfix is concerned I don't think they've done a bad job in recent years. I challenge anyone not to be able to find at least something in their range to keep them pleasantly occupied on those long winter evenings!  

• Like 4

AFAIK, the Italeri A/B-26 was moulded by Special Hobby (although I'm willing to be corrected on this), Italeri released the gun nosed K and glass nosed C model, Revell released the gun nosed B model of the same kit.

My understanding is that there models don't quite match the aircraft in some details but are a reasonable starting point.

Scalemates didn't show it on my search, but I'm guessing that the Airfix 1971 kit isn't as good, but then compare a 30/40 year old Tamigawa with a new release Airfix kit and I'm sure it's the same story!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phantome said:

I really wish Airfix attempted to break into segments where it would have a comparative advantage, say French aircraft (hugely neglected in 1/72) rather than do aircraft that have been done by others in the past and that they should have the humility to know they will not improve on. 

You make an assumption that the wider majority of the people who buy Airfix kits would be interested in say French kits. For a mainstream manufacturer like Airfix who mainly sell to a home market it is about producing kits that you audience want to buy not about filling niches that others have neglected. In good times there will be kits for the enthusiast in the hardtimes it's stuff that will shift boxes.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GordonM said:

Scalemates didn't show it on my search, but I'm guessing that the Airfix 1971 kit isn't as good, but then compare a 30/40 year old Tamigawa with a new release Airfix kit and I'm sure it's the same story!

It's certainly buildable

1 hour ago, Wez said:

AFAIK, the Italeri A/B-26 was moulded by Special Hobby (although I'm willing to be corrected on this), Italeri released the gun nosed K and glass nosed C model, Revell released the gun nosed B model of the same kit.

My understanding is that there models don't quite match the aircraft in some details but are a reasonable starting point.

The A-26 is not a Special Hobby tooling. It is from Italeri's own molds.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Phantome said:

It's not about what modellers want, it's about what companies need. That's sales. They are acutely aware of what sells. And by logical extension, if it sells, it's what modellers want.

QED

• Like 3

I think that people will always want kits of WW2 aircraft, and particularly the better known ones. An A26 would be very nice as would a B26 but I think the B25 is the right choice of subject. For me it is rather like Airfix opting to produce new B17 and Lancaster kits rather than new B24 or Halifax kits. Once Airfix have all the most popular subjects in their range they will probably produce more of the lesser known ones.

I think the exception may be to keep subjects like the Defiant out of the clutches of other manufacturers. I don't see any other manufacturer producing a Whitley now Airfix have one. Airfix may have missed the boat already here with the Sterling, Sunderland and Halifax although maybe not if they can win on price and quality.