More on Airfix 2017

Denford

Be quick!  Apparently, the Airfix club is due for the axe.

Happy that there's something there for everyone but other than the Swordfish and possibly the AEW Shackleton, there's nothing else for me in the range.  Airfix won't be getting much of my cash this year, although I suspect AZ/KP and Eduard will if they continue to release Spitfires.

55 minutes ago, The Wooksta! said:

Ouch! I hadn't heard that. I have 43 of them flying hours...

Cheers,

Bill

2 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

I'm doubtful that this is true. The club can still be purchased on the website and Hornby, Corgi, and Scalextric have similar clubs too. They would presumably have to honour club memberships until they all expire. Seems like it would be a public relations disaster otherwise. What's your source? 

1 hour ago, XV107 said:

Decent list; Meteor, Mitchell and Tomahawk (48th) will probably find their way into my stash along with a Sea Fury or two.

The lack of a Spit XIV in 48th still puzzles me though... 

So true! It's surprising to me also that they have done so many Spitfire including quite a few griffin Spitfires and Seafires but continue to miss this standout mark!  

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

::Moves awkwardly into the shadows.::

'sorlright Edward, me likes you lot, some of you anyway. :) We won't get started on your pollies but had things turned out differently, my Dad might have been a US Marine based in New Zealand during WW2,  but then I guess I wouldn't quite be me, I know what I mean anyway. :D

Steve.

• Like 5

I'm obviously not such a big kit buyer as most of you but I think a couple of Sea Furies and Walruses from this years collection and a couple of Hurricanes / Sea Hurricanes and Spitfires from last year will keep me busy...

• Like 1

I'm a bit late to the party, only just seen the news.  Some nice kits for me next year, P-40B, Fortress III, Phantom, perhaps the Shack.  The only problem will be affording them all as I'll be retired then!  Have to start a savings fund now :)

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Don't have a problem with the box art. It's only a picture after all.

Allan

And a very striking one. I really like it.

• Like 2

It is a shame that there aren't more entirely new kits being released this year. Having said that I will probably buy up to ten kits from the 2017 range, if there had been more new kits on top of the re-boxes it would be anyone's guess how many kits that I would be adding to my already over sized stash.

I think the flow of new kits has been slowed this year but not stopped, and that anything that is in the pipeline will come out in time, or at least before I have finished building my stash.

Just a thought, however perhaps the slight slow down in new tool designs is also down to the extensive research and detail that is going into these new kits - all of which is probably taking longer to complete? 

Sounds like a classic case of quality over quantity - words I'd like to attach to my builds but won't! 

If this means that we get more accurate kits overall, then this can't be a bad thing - could it? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Just a thought, however perhaps the slight slow down in new tool designs is also down to the extensive research and detail that is going into these new kits - all of which is probably taking longer to complete? 

That's a thought.  If you want to compete with increasingly well detailed complex and innovative kits like Mengs new P51-D for example then you have to invest in R+D and innovative tooling.

Maybe the 2017 tools will be re shored in the UK for production....

Actually when you look at it the 2017 release schedule is not that shabby or lacking. It's just less prolific than previous years. 

My view is...

If you take into account Hornby's banking obligations then the 2017 range is actually more remarkable and indicates the 'value' Hornby see in Airfix.

Hopefully Christmas trading was good for the group as a whole. I'll guess we'll get a feel for that in a few weeks.

2017 seems to be 'Make or Break'

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I agree with this i think airfix is transitioning from producing more lesser detailed kits to producing less kits but with more detail, they have lidar now and they are picking 1/48th subjects or larger 1/72nd aircraft which lend themselves to more  detailing

Edited by gavingav1

On 04/01/2017 at 0:12 PM, Aeronut said:

Presumably the Sea Fury has been slipped to 2018.

It's been available for pre-order on the website for a few weeks now due Q3 2017

On 04/01/2017 at 1:55 PM, Biggles81 said:

Why do people keep saying the Sea Fury is not on the 2017 release page when it is there between the Phantom and the Stuka?

Although it's been available for pre-order on the website for a few weeks now, it actually wasn't on the 2017 list when Airfix published it on Tuesday, it's been added in after.

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Sounds like a classic case of quality over quantity - words I'd like to attach to my builds but won't! 

If this means that we get more accurate kits overall, then this can't be a bad thing - could it? 

Cheers.. Dave 

I don't know, I was just assuming it was a money thing. 

For me the re-boxes are very attractive, and so to me as a customer Airfix will sell another Blenheim, P-51, P-40 and B-17 etc. If Airfix hadn't of bothered re-boxing these kits but had produced four new moulds I would of bought the same number of kits.

On 05/01/2017 at 7:17 AM, stevehnz said:

'sorlright Edward, me likes you lot, some of you anyway. :) We won't get started on your pollies but had things turned out differently, my Dad might have been a US Marine based in New Zealand during WW2,  but then I guess I wouldn't quite be me, I know what I mean anyway. :D

Steve.

My mum told me that, even though she was only four at the time, she remembers my grandma being at her happiest when she billeted four US Army officers during the War!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Sounds like a classic case of quality over quantity 

Agreed - looking at the new Mitchell is a prime example. The level of detail in that is fantastic for a 1/72, and ample even for 1/48. Ditto the Phantom!

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 5:59 PM, IanC said:

And a very striking one. I really like it.

I don't.

Until I saw it, I'd resolutely convinced myself that I could manage with the embarrassingly large number of Fujimi FG1/FGR2 in my stash/living on my shelves.

Now, my wallet is having a stern word with me to the effect that my 'That's nice. Well, maybe just the one Airfix...' line of thought is really rather weak-willed on my part...