More on Airfix 2017

Denford

7 minutes ago, Biggles81 said:

Why do people keep saying the Sea Fury is not on the 2017 release page when it is there between the Phantom and the Stuka?

A good point well argued.  I wish it was 1/72 though. 

The Blenheim is a must for all of us that stood in Woolworths looking up at the original kit and wondering what those funny markings were for.

Great choice though. I hope the new box art maintains at least some of the spirit of the classic one.

John

• Like 10

Happy days!

Out of that lot I'll be getting the 262, Mustang, Blenheim, P-40, B-25 and the B-17 - although as I can only fit one in my cat basket it may have to be the USAAF boxing.

So I'm doing my bit.

"What did YOU do to save Hornby, Daddy?" etc 

• Like 1

I may have missed the comment in this thread, but I see the Tomahawk IIB boxing comes with the camera for a UK based Tac Recce aircraft as hinted at in some of the unused parts in the original P-40B boxing.

I can also see myself robbing some of my ordered Sea Fury's to get the double tiered rockets for the Korean War Meteors too. Can't understand why Airfix only went for single tier rockets in that boxing.

Edited by Biggles81
additional point

I'm looking forward to the Fortress III; Murray Peden - the author of "A Thousand shall Fall" flew with 214 on Stirlings and the Fortress.

As I have a family link - established as my grandparents being from Liverpool who remembered family emigrating to Canada and he being aware of members of his family coming from GB and the fact that he is a dead ringer for my dad's uncle (all tenuous I'll grant) - I'll have to get one.

If anybody visits Blickling Hall in Norfolk they should visit the museuam for RAF Oulton which has a great section on 214 (and a pic of Murray.)

38 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Ooh. You cynic.   Mind you, you might have something there.  Agreed about the old Airfix Blenheim artwork.  Simply superb.  Was that a Roy Cross?  Does anyone remember sometime back in the 80s when whoever owned Airfix at the time decided to censor all the box artwork in the name of political correctness?  i.e. any reference to warfare was airbrushed out including bombs being dropped, guns firing, something in the background going down in flames all removed.  Glad those days are over. 

Yes it was Roy Cross - good old days - when you used to buy a kit simply because you loved the box art!

Cannot remember censoring combat scenes but you may be right as my memory has faded - but they did sensor the swastika which is a pain to this day and so historically incorrect! 

Special%201-24%20scale%20Ju87B%20Stuka.j

s-l1600.jpg

They also had that pathetic period where they had a photo of the built model replace box art - god that was awful... political correctness gone mad

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Agree with the Mitchell, I'm surprised to see two USAAF schemes, however I'm sure a 2 Group option will appear in 2018.

Re-decaling new-ish tooled kits is a way to keep these items fresh, whilst offering a cheap solution to regenerate new sales. 

Hasegawa have been doing this for years, so there must be some merit in that.

Cheers.. Dave.

And there's another reason for re-decaling new-ish tooled kits.  The sprues can come from the same production run: one long run is cheaper than two short.

17 minutes ago, Uncle Dick said:

They also had that pathetic period where they had a photo of the built model replace box art - god that was awful... political correctness gone mad

I think that was more to do with US laws stipulating that only what was IN the box could be portrayed ON the box. So no backgrounds!

And I agree, they were terrible.

7 hours ago, Biggles81 said:

Why do people keep saying the Sea Fury is not on the 2017 release page when it is there between the Phantom and the Stuka?

Simple - because when this collection was announced at 10:00 GMT it simply was not there.

There were 28 new-ish kits (including quick builds) at that time and a few hours later this number had risen to 29 - guess what the extra kit was? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2016 at 10:51 PM, The Wooksta! said:

I doubt that the Airfix Shackleton AEW 2  will appear next year, if ever, given the availability of the Revell one plus the demand for Shacks is tailing off.  Why else are traders unloading them for 25 notes apiece?

Airfix have confirmed an AEW Shackleton.

Or are you another tight fisted modeller who has to have his thinking and choices dictated to him?

So you've met me, with my short arms and the habit of wearing trousers with deep pockets. :P

As to choices of model I often plough my own furrow as my field of interest is Airborne Forces which is a role Airfix ignored, but I haven't, with their Whitley and one which caused me extra work with their recent Jeep and the Dakota.

My dislike of Stars and Bars is simply xenophobia.

2 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Yes it was Roy Cross - good old days - when you used to buy a kit simply because you loved the box art!

Cannot remember censoring combat scenes but you may be right as my memory has faded - but they did sensor the swastika which is a pain to this day and so historically incorrect! 

Special%201-24%20scale%20Ju87B%20Stuka.j

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, I remember those days.  I've got a B-57 in the loft with the photo box art.  I think that was when Palitoy owned it.  Isn't that a US company?

5 hours ago, The Wooksta! said:

Erm, why wait? Plenty of aftermarket decal sheets available for almost any kit.  Xtradecal had RAF options available as soon as the P40 was released some years back.  They also have RAF Fortresses and Mitchells on quite a few of their sheets.

Or are you another tight fisted modeller who has to have his thinking and choices dictated to him?  

I can't stand US markings on anything either but I'd rather source me own markings than wait for some marketing tosser to decide if it's right to include a set of markings I'd actually like.

There's also the DK Decals 100 Group sheet which has a Fortress III as one of the options. I don't generally do Stars & Bars either and, as I already have a Revell B-17G I don't need to wait for the Airfix kit.

Someone should tell Airfix that the Crosses of Lorraine are blue not red ... I mean for the Blenheim bomber kit

Anyways I am totally happy with the 1/72 announcements 

49 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

The Italian example in 1/72 was captured by the RAF, The kit has captured roundels as well apparently

I see it now, thanks. That's pretty cool.

J

Well, All of them appeal to me but how many of them I will buy and build remains to be seen. (Good chance of it though, as all the other major players haven't got much that appeals .. to me anyway)!

A couple more Meteors I would think (if the RAAF specific mods aren't right blame me and A77-868)

One or 2 Walrie and I suppose I'd better get that radial engined Hawker flying oil leak as well.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Also worth noting that NONE of this year's 'new' re-issues are pre-Hornby era moulds.

Yes, noticed this as well, was expecting the return of some of the old favourites this year.

Phil