More on Airfix 2017

Denford

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Agree with the Mitchell, I'm surprised to see two USAAF schemes, however I'm sure a 2 Group option will appear in 2018.

Re-decaling new-ish tooled kits is a way to keep these items fresh, whilst offering a cheap solution to regenerate new sales. 

Hasegawa have been doing this for years, so there must ne some merit in that.

Cheers.. Dave.

Yes, this is a relatively new departure for Airfix I think.  I'm also quite surprised how quickly the Be2 re-boxing came about.  The original was only released a few months ago.

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Agree with the Mitchell, I'm surprised to see two USAAF schemes, however I'm sure a 2 Group option will appear in 2018.

Re-decaling new-ish tooled kits is a way to keep these items fresh, whilst offering a cheap solution to regenerate new sales. 

Hasegawa have been doing this for years, so there must ne some merit in that.

Cheers.. Dave.

Indeed, hoping this becomes the norm and indeed would welcome more of it going forward, as most of what I build is series 1/2 airfix stuff, guarantee sales from me to have new editions on the shelf of my LHS. IMO some of the single engines should be reissued more, whilst clearly it sells by the bucket loads regardless (to me alone) but the series 1 spit has had the same decals for 7 successive years......

• Like 2

Just now, Meatbox8 said:

Yes, this is a relatively new departure for Airfix I think.  I'm also quite surprised how quickly the Be2 re-boxing came about.  The original was only released a few months ago.

And the B-17 much later than that.

If the Fortress III schedule date is correct (Q2 2017) then that would only mean half a year of so?

Cheers.. Dave.

18 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

And the B-17 much later than that.

If the Fortress III schedule date is correct (Q2 2017) then that would only mean half a year of so?

Cheers.. Dave.

Good point. The B-17 is practically brand new.  It didn't seem to linger in the Hannants top 10 for long so I hope the Fortress III release isn't just to bolster disappointing sales.

Just because I've got no life and nothing else to do, here is a list of 2017 Airfix releases with the 'advised' availability dates.

1/72 Tomahawk IIB - Q3

1/72 P-51D Mustang - Out now

1/72 A6M2b Zero - 14 Jan

1/72 Spitfire PR.XIX - 17 Feb

1/72 Be2c Scout - Q2

1/72 Bf110C/D - 15 Mar

1/72 Me262A-1a - Q3

1/72 Ju87B-2/R-2 - Q3

1/72 Swordfish - 15 Mar

1/72 Blenheim IV - Q4

1/48 P-51D Mustang - Q3

1/48 Defiant NF.1 - Q3

1/48 Tomahawk IIB - Q3

1/48 Sea Hurricane - Q2

1/72 B-25 Mitchell - Q4

1/72 FG.1 Phantom - Q4

1/48 Ju87B-2/R-2 - Q4

1/72 Fortress III - Q2

1/48 Walrus - Q3

1/48 Korean Meteor - Q2

1/72 AEW.2 Shackleton - Q2

1/72 B-17 & Resupply set - 14 Jan

1/72 Jet Provost Starter set - 17 Feb

1/48 Sea Fury - Q3 (but not currently shown in the 2017 web page)

There you go... how many of them will actually meet these dates is anyone's guess.

Cheers .. Dave

• Like 5

Presumably the Sea Fury has been slipped to 2018.

I'll have to admit that its only the VW van and the Walrus that have me excited, I'll have to think that 2018 will see more of what I want.

I also find it disappointing that we have to wait for the reissue for RAF markings on types such as the P-40, Fortress and Mitchell. (some of us don't do 'stars and bars'). 

2 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

I also find it disappointing that we have to wait for the reissue for RAF markings on types such as the P-40, Fortress and Mitchell. (some of us don't do 'stars and bars'). 

Did you not notice the "Boeing Fortress Mk.III"?

14 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Erm, why wait? Plenty of aftermarket decal sheets available for almost any kit.  Xtradecal had RAF options available as soon as the P40 was released some years back.  They also have RAF Fortresses and Mitchells on quite a few of their sheets.

Or are you another tight fisted modeller who has to have his thinking and choices dictated to him?  

I can't stand US markings on anything either but I'd rather source me own markings than wait for some marketing tosser to decide if it's right to include a set of markings I'd actually like.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
Added detail
  • Like 3

I've got the Stuka and the P51D on order from my LMS. Hadn't picked up that they were doing a Mitchell. Would be great if they did the twin engine aircraft in 1:48; could be a real niche for Airfix.  

Sea Fury's back .............................I think they call it an IT glitch...................... cock up to you and me :winkgrin:

Dick

No Victor K2! :(

Oh well, some nice other options there, and the interior CAD for the B-25 looks very impressive to my untutored eyes.The 100 Group Fortress and that whacky BE2 scheme are also rather tempting prospects, and it's good to see the Swordfish back again-after several subsequent years of new releases this is still one of their absolute best in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Good point. The B-17 is practically brand new.  It didn't seem to linger in the Hannants top 10 for long so I hope the Fortress III release isn't just to bolster disappointing sales.

Ah Yes "the Hannants top 10" sales gimmick that may or may not be manipulated by Hannants! Sorry if am a touch sarcastic but I do not believe it is a true reflection of what is selling the most ...on occasions...

The Blenheim has the forward located underside backwards firing turret and French markings a good match for the old tool and still one favourite box arts (that is the 4th different version of the Blenheim by Airfix now - so they are to be congratulated)

airfix_blenheim_ivx_5598_n.jpg

Re the BE 2 checker decals - yes that was my suggestion just the black checks as decals (must have been over excited to notice they were indicated as decals in the plan)! 

I will be doing my bit to keep Airfix (Hornby) afloat will purchase at least 1 of each of 2017 aircraft model kit releases and in many cases multiples in particular the Phantom, Me 262, Blenheim, Mitchell, Walrus, Sea Fury, Stukas both scales, Sea Hurricane and 1/48 Mustang

Love the detail in the CAD of the Mitchell

a06015.6.jpg

a06015.8.jpg

Edited by Uncle Dick
  • Like 2

I will probably buy about 10 of those kits over 2017. The new markings on the previously released kits attract me, in particular the Free French Blenheim, and RAF P-40. As far the B-17 kit goes I will probably buy the RAF version and feel tempted by the decal option included in the bomber re-supply set.

I only really build WW2 stuff and only in 1.72, but the Phantom I find very tempting, I will have to see how I feel when I see it in the shop.

The B-25 is the only completely new kit that really interests me, I will only buy one this year but expect to buy more in following years as Airfix rebox with different decal options.

I buy aftermarket decals when required but rarely feel the need to go to that expense. Interesting decals really help sell a kit as far as I am concerned.  

This is the 6th (count 'em, 6th!) boxing of the 1/72 P-40B.

That's a mould that's earning its keep. Since I'm slowly building the other 5, I'm sort of duty bound to get this one too.

John

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Uncle Dick said:

Ah Yes "the Hannants top 10" sales gimmick that may or may not be manipulated by Hannants! Sorry if am a touch sarcastic but I do not believe it is a true reflection of what is selling the most ...on occasions...

The Blenheim has the forward located underside backwards firing turret and French markings a good match for the old tool and still one favourite box arts (that is the 4th different version of the Blenheim by Airfix now - so they are to be congratulated)

Re the BE 2 checker decals - yes that was my suggestion just the black checks as decals (must have been over excited to notice they were indicated as decals in the plan)! 

I will be doing my bit to keep Airfix (Hornby) afloat will purchase at least 1 of each of 2017 aircraft model kit releases and in many cases multiples in particular the Phantom, Me 262, Blenheim, Mitchell, Walrus, Sea Fury, Stukas both scales, Sea Hurricane and 1/48 Mustang

Love the detail in the CAD of the Mitchell

Ooh. You cynic.   Mind you, you might have something there.  Agreed about the old Airfix Blenheim artwork.  Simply superb.  Was that a Roy Cross?  Does anyone remember sometime back in the 80s when whoever owned Airfix at the time decided to censor all the box artwork in the name of political correctness?  i.e. any reference to warfare was airbrushed out including bombs being dropped, guns firing, something in the background going down in flames all removed.  Glad those days are over. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

This is the 6th (count 'em, 6th!) boxing of the 1/72 P-40B.

That's a mould that's earning its keep. Since I'm slowly building the other 5, I'm sort of duty bound to get this one too.

John

Besides, who can resist that 73 sqn fuselage flash?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

1/48 Sea Fury - Q3 (but not currently shown in the 2017 web page)

Why do people keep saying the Sea Fury is not on the 2017 release page when it is there between the Phantom and the Stuka?

• Like 1

Just noticed the forward underside turret on the Blenhein CADs.  At first I thought Airfix had not included it as it's not depicted on the colour side view.  Oh Lordy, my poor wallet/stash supporting rafters/plan to only build post-war aircraft (apart from Spitfires and Hurricanes - obviously).  

The Sea Fury and Phantom were always on my shopping list but now the Sea Hurricane is also in there simply because I like one of the schemes included and that unusual Flying Fortress Mk.III is tempting as well. At least Airfix are giving us a few uncommon subjects; even on more common types.

• Like 1