More on Airfix 2017

Denford

On 19/12/2016 at 10:51 PM, The Wooksta! said:

I doubt that the Airfix Shackleton AEW 2  will appear next year, if ever, given the availability of the Revell one plus the demand for Shacks is tailing off.  Why else are traders unloading them for 25 notes apiece?

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/avro-shackleton-aew-2-1-72.html

• Like 1

CAD's for B-25 look very nice indeed.

Happy with the Fortress III as I've not bought the B-17 as yet. 

Korean Meteor is quite tempting as will be the Sea Fury (which is not listed - is it?)

I predict the Victor K.2 for 2018 to give the current kit a little chance for some solid sales this year. 

Overall thats not a bad bunch of kits all round. 

Cheers... Dave 

• Like 1

They had better include the black checkers as decals in that Be 2 rebox - as I am not painting all those ruddy checks!

a02104-layout-a.jpg

Thought they said the Stuka R2 was going to be only released in the Gladiator / Stuka dogfight double (in fact I know they said that in a passed work bench) now they come out with it as a single kit! 

• Like 3

Rest easy, it looks like they're decals!

The Meteor's one for me too - I want to build the flying aircraft painted as "Halestorm" based in Australia so seeing that scheme in the box options is great. I'm glad I held off buying the kit.

Some nice stuff there (seconded on the B-25 - looking sharp) - I keep wanting to take a second look at various items but the site appears to be suffering from some overloading :D

Edited by k5054nz

1 minute ago, Uncle Dick said:

They had better include the black checkers as decals in that Be 2 rebox - as I am not painting all those ruddy checks!

a02104-layout-a.jpg

Thought they said the Stuka R2 was going to be only released in the Gladiator / Stuka dogfight double (in fact I know they said that in a passed work bench) now they come out with it as a single kit! 

This variant must have been planned awhile back as it still shows their old address at Margate.

18 minutes ago, Charlie Hugo said:

Maybe it will shrink in the wash before release

Everything else has :analintruder:

It's interesting to note the 1/48 Mustang, Walrus, Schwalbe and Phantom are the only ones for which no colour profiles are provided.

And I can't see the Sea Fury either...? It is still on the site, just oddly not in the New For 2017 pages.

Edited by k5054nz

10 minutes ago, Uncle Dick said:

If you look at the painting guide, the black checks are marked as decals. You paint the white, though, which I think is a good solution.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Thompson
removed double quote.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

There had better be a 1/48 scale mk XIV Spitfire or I'll just ... well, I don't know what I'll do!  But seriously, how can such an obvious gap in the market have lasted so long? This is clearly the coolest Spitfire mark 😄and the academy botch-up is the best 1/48 model currently available! Fingers and toes crossed for this one. 🙏

A 1/48 Spitfire Mk XlV will always lose out to 1/48 Sea Fury.  Your own country operated the latter as did Canada and many others. Kangaroo, Maple Leaf and other supporting decals will surely appear.  A much more obvious gap, the surprise being that it had been so long in coming.

Offhand I can only think of Belgium as another XlV operator, and then only in RAF colours.  I suppose one could count SEAC usage as an alternative scheme.

Still no Hunter, nevermind, just the Stuka and Walrus for me, oh and a Camper Van and maybe another Defiant and a Sea Huricane.

So nothing really.

Oh wait that's half the defence budget spent already, blooming good job they didn't announce a Hunter.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Denford said:

A 1/48 Spitfire Mk XlV will always lose out to 1/48 Sea Fury.  Your own country operated the latter as did Canada and many others. Kangaroo, Maple Leaf and other supporting decals will surely appear.  A much more obvious gap, the surprise being that it had been so long in coming.

Offhand I can only think of Belgium as another XlV operator, and then only in RAF colours.  I suppose one could count SEAC usage as an alternative scheme.

Yes, but Sea Furies were too late for WW2 and are not Spitfires  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

If you look at the painting guide, the black checks are marked as decals. You paint the white, though, which I think is a good solution.

Paul.

Interesting job for the decal designer, all those curves. So individual checks, or carrier film?

Not a bad list as far as I'm concerned, I had noticed the lack of the Sea Fury too, there does seem to be some inconsistencies on the Airfix website, I noticed the other day that the 1/48 Sea Fury and 1/72 Phantom are both available in the "shop" to pre-order but the previously announced 1/48 Walrus wasn't, now they've created a future release section that includes the Walrus and Phantom, but doesn't list the Sea Fury. 

I'd already pre-ordered the Sea Fury and Phantom, and will now do so for the Walrus, the Sea Hurricane (that was a no-brainer considering the parts are already on the sprues of the previous releases) and the Korean War Meteor, and I might even go for a Quick build VW Camper (I can see that one being a best seller, a great ploy, get them into surf shops and seaside gift stores across the country and I bet they'll go like hot cakes).

Looks like the 1/72 352nd FG P-51 is already available to purchase via the Airfix website.

That was pretty quick!

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/north-american-p-51d-mustang-1-72-1.html

Cheers .. Dave

I think it's a pretty good release schedule by Airfix with some nice re-pops.   I hope the Shackleton AEW2 works for them with the Revell kit being somewhat cheaper.  The Fortress III is a great idea that I suspect many were hoping for, including myself.  I am a little surprised that the Mitchell will only have USAAF schemes. I was expecting some 2 Group options. 

No real surprises then. Only the Me 262 & Phantom appeal out of the new tools. I have the Revell Shackleton so, I won't need the Airfix one.  Out of the reissues, I'm likely only to buy the Blenheim IV, Ju-87s & Bf-110. I didn't know the Regia Aeronautica operated the Bf-110 so, that's a nice choice. Won't be bothering with the Fortress III either as I have the Revell B-17G & DK Decals 100 group sheet! Still, there's something there so I'm not disappointed. Actually a good mixed bag of choices overall. I think any aviation enthusiast will have difficulty in not finding something ( unless of course you only model civil aircraft!!)  Cue chorus of "what about us then" from non wingy thingy modellers! I have to confess that I am a bit surprised at the almost total lack of non aviation related subjects but, I guess Airfix will be concentrating on their best selling items. After all, there are plenty other manufacturers catering for those with non flying related interests. Be interesting to see what is revealed in next months Nuremberg Toy Fair

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

14 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I think it's a pretty good release schedule by Airfix with some nice re-pops.   I hope the Shackleton AEW2 works for them with the Revell kit being somewhat cheaper.  The Fortress III is a great idea that I suspect many were hoping for, including myself.  I am a little surprised that the Mitchell will only have USAAF schemes. I was expecting some 2 Group options. 

Agree with the Mitchell, I'm surprised to see two USAAF schemes, however I'm sure a 2 Group option will appear in 2018.

Re-decaling new-ish tooled kits is a way to keep these items fresh, whilst offering a cheap solution to regenerate new sales. 

Hasegawa have been doing this for years, so there must be some merit in that.

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 3

It's no surprise of course but I am happy to see the sea hurricane and will be getting one for sure. Months after the announcement I'm still impressed that airfix has the guts and conviction to put out a new tool Walrus in 1/48. They are to be congratulated if you ask me. Good on ya Airfix. Still no Spitfire XIV though!😜